I hate trespassers!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

So it has been a few months with out problems,, thought, well maybe someone got the picture the last few times. Guess not...

Went out this morning, and the charger was not working. Like.. oh great. Checked all the usual areas..

Tacked up Dyfra to ride the fence line. Found the problem right in front of the Old mans place across the street. Some Numb nuts messed up my fence again. Whom ever grounded out my hot wire, wrapped it around the barbed wire 5 times around the insulator. You know like I do to tighten it up. Took me 10 minutes to get it untangled. Though I would have to go back to the house to get something to cut and patch it with.

And get this, they had the time to Peel Duck tape off the fence to remove the no trespassing signs.

Rode over to the back area where they have cut the fence before., this time they did not cut the fence at least there. Need to get to the back, back area sometime in the next couple of days. Wouldn't want the horses to get out.

Came back to the house, took the last 5 no trespassing signs out, but drove the car out on the rd. Got them put up, and fixed the other problems they caused to the fence.

The sheriff knows what is going on, but they don't have time to deal with it.
    Would do a stake out with Hubby, but I never know when they are going to show up.

The Nerve of some people. I don't really want a dog, but I might have to get one.
    Since I had to fix the fence, I will not be able to get my laundry done or the Blackberry muffins made. Sigh ~~ Guess they don't care I am a gimp and am very limited in what I can do in a days time.

Really want to catch them and drag them behind my horses till there is nothing but nubs left.
    :soap:

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

If you know where they are cutting through, set up a camera to catch them. Of course, lowlifes like this could just steal the camera as well.

3. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Bergere-

I don't have any answers for you, but we can let you know you're not alone.

The property we just purchased belonged to guy who did not care about it.
    He let everyone run amok on it.
    When we came in and posted it, the neighbors went nuts.

They drove right around the signs with atvs. When we dropped a tree across the path, they came WITH A CHAINSAW, cut it and moved it out of the way. They picked all my berries.
    I had left a strip of uncut area along the road to start growing in a privacy buffer. One neighbor came across the road and cut it so she could have an open view to our pond. When we tried to politely say we didn't want it cut, she gave us "the hand" and walked away in a snit.

One day we were working in the barn and a truck load of guys pull in.
    "We're just here to get some hay..." they said.
    When we told them the place had been sold quite a while back and they could not take the hay, they stood there and argued with us about it.
    We suspect they put sugar in the gas tank of our tractor - so we haven't been able to cut any hay this year.
    Another neighbor mowed a path for a moto-cross track. When we mentioned that they had gone over the property line, they threatened to shoot our animals, to trespass all they wanted during hunting season, to turn us in for "toxic manure run-off" (we're talking 6 animals on 52 acres worth of manure run-off) among other things. They couldn't understand why it mattered since it was, "just scrub-land". ( It would have been a hayfield if our tractor hadn't been sabotaged.)

The cop we called thought we should try to "make deals" with them.
    Make deals with people who called my husband a "richard cranium" to his face because he wouldn't let them cut what belongs to him??

Mind you, these people never introduced themselves. They never invited us to ride with them on OUR property.

I think next time I'll just say, "sure, make yourself at home... by the way, I'll be over to use your car later...so make sure theres plenty of gas in it."

I feel for you. :buds:

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Minnikin, that blows me away. I am as shocked as when I listen to news on New Orleans.
    When we bought out place, everyone was nice about not using it, been the 3rd year, and we finally have 0 visitors. The most put off is the dog who thought this was her second home. After my dog bit her in the butt, she got the message. (BTW, I paid for it, even thought I still have problems believing it was my dog. He loves other animals soo much.)

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

minnikin1, that is just sad. But Thank you for letting me know I am not alone having to deal with brain dead people.
    ~
    WanderingOak, ya your right, more than likely they would steal a camera.. the other problem is the only place I have to put a camera is on the Telephone pole, and it is about 7 acres away. Can't run a cord out there. So left with getting the Battery powder wireless night Vision camera's that can handle that distance. Those are very spendy.

What worries me the most, is every time they ground my fence out, there is a much higher chance the predators can get to my horses at night.
    Everytime they cut my fence...same problem.

I know of a mare and foal killed by a cougar not to long ago, not far from here. The other Predators are quite active too. Sigh ~ ~

A friend suggested too..

In which she made me choke on my Hot Chocolate... Visions of Bull balls dangling from a large mouse trap nailed to the telephone pole with a rude sign underneath!

Sooo,,, ya know anyone that has any to give away??

I have a horse Bow, think I need to start practicing with it again. Sadly Crossbows are Illegal in most areas.
    Think Hubby needs to start target shooting on the property again

7. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

bergere, is there any chance you could put a couple ostriches or rheas in a perimeter fence?
    Man those things will kick the crap out of any tresspassers-human or animal!

I had rheas in WI-good eating but even better predator control!

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

At the old Farm the person next door had a female Emu. Pretty nice bird.
    That might be a good idea, if I can find a couple of young females in this area.

The only other problem is I do ride in the main pasture. Wonder how they would do with me riding? Humm.. but I need to do something soon.
    I do like the Idea of Emu's better than a dog.

Anyone know of someone that is willing to part with two female emus, that aren't too spendy in NW Oregon or SW Washington?

9. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

bergere, emus are better tempered than Ostrich or Rhea but not quite as protective either. Of course maybe any BIG BIRD would be a deterrant.
    I like emu's and if you get females the eggs can be sold to crafters if you're not going to breed them.
    Or eat a lot of really huge omelets!! :eek:

I agree, you need to do something-it's not like you haven't been trying but these ding bats are worse than just a clueless neighbor that learns where the line is after a while.
    Sounds like these are career tresspassers with a streak of mean to boot! :mad:

10. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Actually Bergere, I do know someone with emus! Let me know if you are serious, and I can give them a call and see if they have any they are selling. They are about a mile from me towards your house, so they are close.

Deb

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi Deb,

Am serious, just depends on what they want for two female Emu Chicks?
    Will have more money on the 15th.

12. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    My solution is rather aggressive as I basically use show of force to nip problems in the bud. Anyone that threatens me gets shown the business end of a .44 Magnum revolver with the hammer cocked full back, a 12 gauge shotgun or a semi-auto rifle in .308 or .30-06 with the safety off and finger on the trigger.

Hunters have learned not to trespass as I relieve them of their deer when I find them poaching. A few threatened to shoot me, and they discovered that they didn't have the testicular fortitude they thought they had when I forced them to disarm and walk out wearning nothing but their underwear. They never came back even thought they threatened to call the sheriff on me.

I rely upon thick thornbriar type species around the perimeter of my land to reduce the ATV riders, but they were there naturally to start with. I just encouraged them to spread along my property line with some controlled brush hogging.

I grant that what I do to solve my problems works for me, but may not work for others. The nastier people get with me the cooler I keep myself and explain the facts to them all the more clearly. It just took a few years to get the problems to become nothing but very rare incidents.

My neighbors are golden too, so that helps, as we look out for each other. I patrol their lines to keep an eye on their livestock and report any fence or gate problems to them and also let them know if I found anyone nosing around.

I can sympathize with the meatheads others have had to deal with. Most of my problem makers have been city folks coming down thinking that any land that is larger than a postage stamp must be public property. A few hardheaded locals make up the older source of trouble. But, as I've said, now the incidents are rare, but I do have a reputation of being "as shade touched in the head, best to let'im be now" as some of the older folk in the area comment.

:sing:

14. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

No luck, won't be any new emu's for sale until next summer and she says she already has a long waiting list. Man, who knew emu's were in such high demand here, lol. She says she sells hers mostly for meat to people.

While I was talking to her though she was telling me that they spotted a cougar in their yard the other night. So now it's your neighbors who lost the horse, the people on my road, and then we found big prints down at the creek. Me think it's time to go cougar hunting! :sing: Dh thinks it would go nicely with the beaver in our house, lol.

Deb

15. texican

texican Well-Known Member

sorry folks, I lead a sheltered life, What, pray tell, is a 'richard cranium'????

on the trespassing thingie, I've found that cultivating a psycho gun toting lunatic works wonders on the local vermin...third parties when they meet me are wondering if I'm really crazy...and depending on who they are, I either fess up or start getting looney :sing:

16. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thanks Ross for the link,,, will be checking that out.

Hubby is going to teach my son Gun safety and target shooting so the only neighbor that we can see when we are out on the property, can see us using Guns.
    Hoping he will let the rest of the vermin know and they will leave us alone.
    Can only hope anyway.

17. Godsdaughter

Godsdaughter Active Member

texican,what is the nickname for richard? and a cranium is a head

18. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Texican, "richard cranium" is similar to a "high velocity rotary fecal distributor" or a "rectal craniotomy". :p

19. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

bergere, there are motion-triggered cameras for game survey - fairly cheap, battery powered with good battery life, take pictures to an imbedded memory card for later download to PC. Depends on you knowing what path(s) to put them on, though; and while they're relatively cheap they still cost money. Might be able to rent some for a month.

There are definitely alarms you can get that will inform you when current in your electric fence stops flowing. If the current doesn't flow to the fence (and detector) it lets current flow to the alarm. Knowing as soon as it happens might be quite useful.

And yes, good idea for your husband (and you) to get target practice. If nothing else, you get competent with a .22 rimfire. It's almost devoid of recoil, ammunition is very cheap, it's useful against vermin and predators, and it still goes "bang" enough to deter casual visitors. Every property should have a .22 rimfire rifle. If your physical problems make you generally incapable of controlling a firearm, run a few blanks like they use for starter pistols through it. It would be a good idea for your signs to say "Warning - No Trespassing. Private Firing Range."

20. Ralph Roces

Ralph Roces Member

I dont know if you have your property fenced, but if you do why you don't plant around a plant with thorns and spikes? I did it when I was in Dominican Republic and it worked, more than one time I found pieces of clothing in the thorns. You don't really have to get a dog, you could get geeses or peacocks they make a lot of noise if they see introuders. I hope I was able to give some good advise if not I will pray for you. :rolleyes: