Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate thieves! Check out this picture. Since taking it, I finished clearing out my pumpkin patch. Added 4 more giant pumpkins and about 2 dozen regular sized pumpkins.

Last night sometime, some one stole the pumpkin you see in the pic, left side rear, no easy task, it weighed over 100 pounds. They also too one not in the pic that weighed about 65-70 pounds. They also took at least 3 small pumpkins in the 5-12 pound range.

Go figure, since setting them out, I have had numerous comments about how nice and how big, or how pretty my pumpkins are. Now I'm tempted to just set them all in the back yard where only my family can see them. Right now they are in the front yard about 60 feet from the road.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I'm sorry. It's horrible that we have to think about these things. Dh wanted me home for the weekend because it's a special hunt(deer). I was upnorth working on our cabin. Just got home and a creep that keeps comeing over and asking if he could buy dh's equalizer rolls in the drive. (he saw the equalizer in the barn when I sold one of my Bikes to his friend years ago) Luckly my 3 dogs were with me,he made mention that my one Rottie is "spookie". Dh is starting to get real po'd, and I think it's time to Open Carry. Might be safer for folks to think I'm the wacky ol lady on the hill with the....

·
Registered
980 Posts
In MI, a few miles from where my dad lives there is a gentleman that listed a boat for sale on craigslist. Some people call and ask if they can look at the boat. He has them come over and they look at the boat that was in the same garage with more than $10,000 in tools. They thank the guy and say they will think about it. A few days later he gets a call from a different person and that person comes to look at the boat - same as the first, says they have to think about it. Well a few more days pass, the guy comes home, his garage was broken into and the boat and all of his tools are gone. Seems they must've cased the place. I'm not sure if the thieves were ever caught - but it is a shame.

I hope you find out who took the pumpkins.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's really low. Wish there was a way to catch them on camera.

You now know there is a thief around and maybe they will be back.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny thing is, myself, my son, and my daughter each picked out a pumpkin to carve later on. I used a sharpie to mark his, hers, and mine really small with our initials, they stole mine.

If I see a big one on someone's porch, I will stop and ask about it and look for my initials.

Granted, its a few pumpkins, no great tragedy, its just the idea....

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It is irritating when someone steals something you grew and had good plans for. This is how easy, it used to be to break into a house. Wasn't home, and it was winter, really cold and snows. They came from behind the house on snow mobiles. Took a glass cutter, about $3, cut a small arc in window, reached in and unlocked door. Not only did they steal what they could, they made a huge mess. Threw potted plants and the dirt everywhere. Carpet was a light celery green and had to be replaced. It's really unnerving to have your privacy invaded like that.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Dude! Sorry you found a thief in the area! It's no fun finding out the hard way. I am thinking you should be glad it was only a "prank" kind of theft something like teenagers do on a dare.That doesn't make it right but at least you still have all the things we collect throughout our life and no "real" harm was done and nobody got hurt!

Wade

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I fully agree, said the same thing to my son, at least they didn't break into the garage or house and steal something important or of real value.
Of course he helped me move all of the pumpkins, with my back problems, I just cant do it. When i made the jack o lantern face, he told me I should have made a middle finger....lol.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
When I was 9 years old, I decided to decorate a small evergreen in our yard all by myself- just for people passing by. I wrapped lots of small empty boxes in Christmas paper and tied them to the tree as decorations, along with garlands and other things.
Next morning every box was torn open and scattered on the ground. About 20 altogether. I wondered what kind of an optimist it took to stay in someone's yard, in the dark, opening 20 empty boxes, one after another.
I think it must be genetic to be able to look at something stolen and not think about who it was taken from. Probably more a thrill of the hunt sort of thing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I know how you feel! 2 years ago while we were sittin down for supper some punk kids stole an inflatable , animated pumpkin from our yard.
I hold no hope that it will be returned, but we are "the Halloween house" around here and they can not steal my joy in the season. In response I made some new grave stones for my graveyard that say... ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411402958.677969.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
Its obvious it wasnt the IRS.... they would have taken several more.
Haha! Too funny!
If you don't mind, I'd like to add that to make a special trio of gravestones to spot light with strobes this year?

"NOT THE IRS"
In big block font
And underneath it
"they'd have taken more"
In some freehand calligraphy.

Can I do that as part of my annual display? As an artist I take copyright infringement very seriously.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts