Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
But then Bill wouldn't be able to fill his pockets as fast because no one would buy all the useless apps he includes in the basic operating system. It's just like the operating system on your computer. Lots of useless built-in apps that you will never use. But you have to pay for programs that are sometimes essential operations (Microsoft office is one that went to a paid separate program).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Can't live without mine. I use it many times a day for all sorts of things.

Then at home, reading forums, books and streaming computer games. Also, I play a lot of Android games while waiting in the truck.

I have the Note 10 Plus and the best thing is to use it to write on pictures to get confirmation on something, or get a question answered.

In a few months the next generation of Note comes out. I'll be first in line. It's my every two year splurge. A new top of the line phone.

I'm a bit of a phone geek.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I have my apple I-phone set so that the ringer does not sound off between certain hours of the evening and night. It does have a easy way to make a list of numbers that will still ring if I desire them to be passed through. Do the android phones have such options?

Or you can just turn the ringer down or off or turn off the phone until you want to check messages. Other than the possible need of a land line that might work if the cell system is down there is little that a cell phone can not do.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
More than once I've been in a store and heard someone talking nearby, thought they were talking to me but nope, cell phone stuck to their head. Don't have a cell phone, don't want one. No landline either. Wife has a basic cell phone. I do have the free Google Voice thing on the computer that I check for messages every morning, or if I need to contact the wife when she's out and about.

Reactions: po boy

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
Today while at the dentist hubby got 2 calls from work. That poor man hardly ever gets a real day off when production is running.

I like the camera feature on my phone. It's not the greatest but it's better and cheaper than the Polaroid we had when I was a kid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is copper wire two miles away for a land line. And that's closer than power lines by half a mile. The DW and I both have smartphones. They are mostly useless at home unless we are directly in front of the cell booster which has a yagi antenna on the roof pointed in the direction of a cell phone tower 25 miles away. Most days we can complete a call without a disconnect.

But really there are two main uses for our cell phones. Between my kids and the DW's we have 10 millennial children and if not for text messages we wouldn't be in contact. Several wouldn't leave a voice message to save their own lives - I don't get it. Next would be safety and convenience while one of us is travelling or already in town.

There is one other: Google maps. I'd be hard pressed to find a new address out here. What roads exist are not laid out in a grid and many are private roads.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
As soon as they get all of us on the 5G system, they will come out with a 6G. I like that my old flip phone fits in my shirt pocket, so I'll just keep it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts