Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted 5/17/21 3:31 A.M. CDST

After five years of being cell phone free, I had to reactivate my 3G phone for pager/payphone use last week since a friend and I relaunched the sideline vehicle salvage restore /sale gig we ran before he went to work as a private road service contractor for a auto insurer and didn't have time for his sideline mechanic shop.

After getting a new SIM for my old 3G phone with unlimited minutes and no data for only $2 more per month than when I ditched it years ago, I found where I used to have maximum signal , now it was only half strength.

Talking with a engineer with our carrier, he explained that although 3G still had 10 months until it went sunset, our towers were already being transitioned from 3G / 4G to 4G / 5G and although now in 3G to 5G wide access that the two generation spread was slowing all generation services.

He also told me that the 3G would be getting the short end of the tower capacity until 3G goes sunset next year and I should go ahead and get a 4G phone now because they were being discounted as they push 5G even though the 5G towers will support to lower speed and feature 4G phones in back compatibility for at least 12 years because of air wave regulations.

So I went to the local brick and mortar store, explained that I only wanted a 4G talk only phone because i didn't need a pocket PC and got a deal on a military /construction environment rugged flip phone for $28 as a promo deal to speed the 3G sunset.

Unfortunately even being a flip phone , it has many idiot phone apps that require data use I have no need of or interest in .

So I took it back to the store, explained to an experienced clerk that I wanted only the simple features and as an example , showed him the "presidential alerts" in with the news , weather and Amber alerts that interrupted the use of the phone that I needed.

As he went deep into the flip phone options to find the parental control to block the WiFi and internet for me , but said even he couldn't delete the apps I didn't want because of the carrier lock. He also said if the carrier system updated and my data disabled phone wouldn't find the network to bring it in so it could be updated in store at no charge because of the warranty on the rugged phone.

He laughed when I told him if a "presidential alert" came I would see it on TV, hear it on the radio or see all the folks with 5G phones running around in a frenzy.

So now I have a 4G phone that is phone only and my cellphone engineer friend said when he gets time, he will help me to contact the carrier to get my unlock code if it isn't too expensive so I can delete the 30 or so apps I have no interest in carrying in my pocket like internet , google , youtube and yahoo.

Yes I am a dinosaur but if I have to have a cellphone, I want it only as a phone and answering machine while doing drives looking for engine parts or carcass bodies for us to rebuild as I leave the phone in the console box turned off until I am off the road while my PC sits on my desk here at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I use my cell for internet and text messaging and am constantly interrupted by phone calls and it is not possible to shut off all of the phone's features.

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
Shrek, did you happen to end up with the Kyocera flip? I have the camera version of that one. IIRC, Cabin Fever has the same phone and he is very good at making it do what he wants.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When we used to scrap cars out, we would remove saleable items like stereos, or fancy wheels, but the real money came from catalytic converters. We also pulled starters, alternators, actuator motors, and any other thing that had copper windings in it. Batteries also brought better money than the shredder price.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I hate all the crap they put on phones! I don't WANT to watch youtube on a tiny screen, read, nor do facetime, or check out the available apps. I don't WANT to use the phone for calculations (THANK YOU, Ms Stuber 4th grade!), manipulate photos, check my horoscope, nor shop online. There were likely others, but I got rid of them entirely.

Why not sell a phone that WORKS as a phone, and then let YOU add the radishes, onions, lettuce of choice, and so on. Then you could BRAG about so and so phone, that stays charged for 24 FULL hours!

(remembering the "old days" when my phone would stay charged for 3-4 WEEKS. Casio G'Zone Ravine...rest in peace)

Mon

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I have a flip phone and am on trac phone. They tried to sell me a 4g phone to replace my 3g one but wound up giving me this 4g phone when I didn't bite on the one they wanted to sell me. I also don't want anything other than a phone and this flipper fills the bill. The only thing I can think of that I might use a smart phone for is to check a competitor's price when I'm in the store. I keep it turned off unless I'm making a call because I don't want everyone and their uncle getting a hold of me whenever they want to.

I hate all the crap they put on phones! I don't WANT to watch youtube on a tiny screen, read, nor do facetime, or check out the available apps. I don't WANT to use the phone for calculations (THANK YOU, Ms Stuber 4th grade!), manipulate photos, check my horoscope, nor shop online. There were likely others, but I got rid of them entirely.

What she said. I had a Mrs Stuber too. Where did you go to grade school?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hubby and I are counting the day down until we retire and can throw all technology out. Hopefully by then there will still be landlines available. That's all I want: Landline with an answering machine. Peace and quiet

·
Registered
374 Posts
Posted 5/17/21 3:31 A.M. CDST

After five years of being cell phone free, I had to reactivate my 3G phone for pager/payphone use last week since a friend and I relaunched the sideline vehicle salvage restore /sale gig we ran before he went to work as a private road service contractor for a auto insurer and didn't have time for his sideline mechanic shop.

After getting a new SIM for my old 3G phone with unlimited minutes and no data for only $2 more per month than when I ditched it years ago, I found where I used to have maximum signal , now it was only half strength.

Talking with a engineer with our carrier, he explained that although 3G still had 10 months until it went sunset, our towers were already being transitioned from 3G / 4G to 4G / 5G and although now in 3G to 5G wide access that the two generation spread was slowing all generation services.

He also told me that the 3G would be getting the short end of the tower capacity until 3G goes sunset next year and I should go ahead and get a 4G phone now because they were being discounted as they push 5G even though the 5G towers will support to lower speed and feature 4G phones in back compatibility for at least 12 years because of air wave regulations.

So I went to the local brick and mortar store, explained that I only wanted a 4G talk only phone because i didn't need a pocket PC and got a deal on a military /construction environment rugged flip phone for $28 as a promo deal to speed the 3G sunset.

Unfortunately even being a flip phone , it has many idiot phone apps that require data use I have no need of or interest in .

So I took it back to the store, explained to an experienced clerk that I wanted only the simple features and as an example , showed him the "presidential alerts" in with the news , weather and Amber alerts that interrupted the use of the phone that I needed.

As he went deep into the flip phone options to find the parental control to block the WiFi and internet for me , but said even he couldn't delete the apps I didn't want because of the carrier lock. He also said if the carrier system updated and my data disabled phone wouldn't find the network to bring it in so it could be updated in store at no charge because of the warranty on the rugged phone.

He laughed when I told him if a "presidential alert" came I would see it on TV, hear it on the radio or see all the folks with 5G phones running around in a frenzy.

So now I have a 4G phone that is phone only and my cellphone engineer friend said when he gets time, he will help me to contact the carrier to get my unlock code if it isn't too expensive so I can delete the 30 or so apps I have no interest in carrying in my pocket like internet , google , youtube and yahoo.

Yes I am a dinosaur but if I have to have a cellphone, I want it only as a phone and answering machine while doing drives looking for engine parts or carcass bodies for us to rebuild as I leave the phone in the console box turned off until I am off the road while my PC sits on my desk here at home.
don't feel like the Lone Ranger. To date I have not had a cell phone. And most likely won't. My opinion: just another way to take people's money. I suppose some folks might need them for business, but it sure isn't me

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hubby and I are counting the day down until we retire and can throw all technology out. Hopefully by then there will still be landlines available. That's all I want: Landline with an answering machine. Peace and quiet
don't know when you are going to retire but throw out the technology now---get a head start. I have a cordless landline forever and am very happy.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I’m using an iPhone 8, it does everything I need. It’s an office in a palm, so I can manage emails and texts from PSWs, manage my wife’s medical appointments, pay the bills from the physiotherapists and PSWs, and the iPhone platform is supposedly more secure than Android so I’ve heard.

And on the off moment I can watch some videos of car wrecks on YouTube.

Reactions: MAWL

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
If you use your phone for social media, videos, games, various apps more than you spend time on a call, is it a phone with gadgets or a gadget with a phone?

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Can't live without one here. I tried for a long time but every time I turn around they want me to access another thing from my phone. I still have a laptop but I am one of the few.

Carry your plans on an iPad all day. When you have an ASI you just update it. No more having to make sure all your plans are in line before you clamp then down. Now we carry the plans on the phone. Pull your phone out and go right there to the page you want. No torn or dirty sheets anymore.

Don't even get me started on Dropbox.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm sorry but it's kind of hard to hear you from back there in 1991.

The world progresses and we must progress with it. (Unless you just want to be obstinate and then ***** about it.)

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Some would say the world is regressing, and technology is not an arbiter of progress.
It is interesting how society seems to applaud those that stand apart these days for their looks, behavior or world view; that is if it fits their own view of the world.
But a guy that refuses to update his phone? He isn't obstinate, he is a rebel...

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted 5/17/21 9:29 P.M. CDST

don't feel like the Lone Ranger. To date I have not had a cell phone. And most likely won't. My opinion: just another way to take people's money. I suppose some folks might need them for business, but it sure isn't me
I ditched my cellphone after my friend got out of older car restoration because his roadside assistance / insurance company wreck towing kept him busy 10 to 14 hours a day bringing in about the same income so his wife could retire at home as their business was a true mom and pop and she was as good a tow recovery as he was if they had to put two wreckers on the road at the same time.

Two years after he went private service only and the only calls I got on my cell were my mother and GF after both would call my 1950s/1960s single phone style located in the front room desk phone and answering machine so it doesn't interrupt my sleep and increases my odds of peacefully passing in my own bed when my time to die comes.

Both would call my landline and the times it did disturb me and I got out of bed and halfway to where I chose to locate my telephone which is a slave for my convenience , they would immediately call the cell on the desk charging in my study room even though they knew I detest being bugged by the phone and I don't use my cell if on the road.

After realizing I didn't have need for the cell, left it in my study 80% of the time , if I broke down within 30 minutes the law would stop and call the tow service my guy had me use as back up or my tow man turned private hauler would see me and hang me on the stinger lift and sneak me home if it was a short detour, I dropped my cell service.

After dropping it, in 5 years I only broke down once blocking traffic and like asking someone for the time when you don't have a watch, someone with a phone stuck behind me called the law who called my tow man's back up for me, all while saving me $40 a month.

Today while driving around I found two early 1990s pick ups for sale and called my tow man to come get them and my estimated cut after we sell them will easily cover my current cell bill for a couple years in addition to covering the fuel I used, time and maintence per mile budget and add a few hundred bucks to my entertainment money for the next few months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see cell / smart phones as a double edged sword. GPS to find another route when there is a wreck on I-20 that as traffic stopped for hours. Weather forecasts to see how long this rain is going to last. A phone call when you're out of pocket to get good news or bad news (daughter is in labor or parent is in hospital). But then all the unwanted interruptions, no I don't want to extend the warranty on my 1972 Pinto. And worse of all is the rudeness of people that can't get get their face away from their phone. Had a manager that while talking to me about work would pull out his phone and look at the news update he just received. And a friend that spent most of the free time at dinner looking at his phone.

I think the real point from the OP is "why can't I buy just the functions I want?" It's not just phones. Go into any car dealer and ask for a car (or truck) with just an AM radio, manual windows and a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
What she said. I had a Mrs Stuber too. Where did you go to grade school?
Mid-Indiana...I think she was my teacher 1956/7 or thereabouts, at Liberty school, out between a few fields. Closed now.

My gripe with the current phones is, you CAN have a LOT of apps that use data and battery, that you never use. On top of that, the phone can cost a pretty penny! Why not sell a phone with basic functions you can build on, add apps and make the phone JUST what you want? It would make the phones cheaper without all the bundled stuff, and the companies could recoup the money off the apps they sell.

Mon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts