Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose Im an anomaly. I love having a cell phone that is essentially a mini laptop. Im 54 yrs old. Our washer and dryer can be controlled from anywhere on the planet I can get a cell signal. It will alert me when its done. Or I can do a status inquiry and know if its on spin wash etc. Same with the dryer. Theyre also so much better at energy savings. We saw a huge drop in our electric and water bills because of the new washer and dryer.

As far as the cell I am not one to stay glued to it. But I do use it to do about 90 percent of my online activities. I have a farm I sell off of I also have a company that provides courier services for several mobile home plants I run from it and I need it a lot for my job with the board of education.

Ive preferred texts to calls for years. People feel obligated to chit chat etc when really they just need to say or know something. If I need to know what name brand detergent youre using I dont have to "hello. how are you? hows your momma n em? Good ...we are good. Man this weather is crazy. No I still wear shorts even winter. Oh yeah...whats that detergent you use that you said you liked? (insert 10 mins of explaining why they like it and who turned them on to it) then Well I gotta go. Tell your husband I said hello (insert 10 mins of how he works too much etc)" and with a text its

"hey...whats the name of the detergent you told me about?" "its INSERT NAME" "Okay thanks" done and over with. lol 20 to 30 minutes knocked down to a minute. WIN WIN.

My only complaints about cells are that there is ZERO reason in this day and age to have poor signal or no signal. I can talk to someone in china and run 2 businesses and take professionally grade photos...but have to stand on one foot with aluminum foil on my head at precisely a 37 degree angle facing due north to get a signal just 10 miles outside of town.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Thanks fro the answer. It is intersting to see what is going on in other countries.
There are high bank fees on all accounts here. Checks? Not seen them for nearly 20 years. asked a bank clerk recently if checks still exist. We both laughed when she replied " quite honestly, I don't know"
Some small mom and pop places are cash or check only, at least around here.
I guess I’m old school, I still pay all my utility bills and such via check. Yeah, they have automatic deposit, but if they make a mistake, how long do I have to wait to get the money back? Seems like companies always withdraw right on time, but drag their feet when having to cough it up.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
I suppose Im an anomaly. I love having a cell phone that is essentially a mini laptop. Im 54 yrs old. Our washer and dryer can be controlled from anywhere on the planet I can get a cell signal. It will alert me when its done. Or I can do a status inquiry and know if its on spin wash etc. Same with the dryer. Theyre also so much better at energy savings. We saw a huge drop in our electric and water bills because of the new washer and dryer.

As far as the cell I am not one to stay glued to it. But I do use it to do about 90 percent of my online activities. I have a farm I sell off of I also have a company that provides courier services for several mobile home plants I run from it and I need it a lot for my job with the board of education.

Ive preferred texts to calls for years. People feel obligated to chit chat etc when really they just need to say or know something. If I need to know what name brand detergent youre using I dont have to "hello. how are you? hows your momma n em? Good ...we are good. Man this weather is crazy. No I still wear shorts even winter. Oh yeah...whats that detergent you use that you said you liked? (insert 10 mins of explaining why they like it and who turned them on to it) then Well I gotta go. Tell your husband I said hello (insert 10 mins of how he works too much etc)" and with a text its

"hey...whats the name of the detergent you told me about?" "its INSERT NAME" "Okay thanks" done and over with. lol 20 to 30 minutes knocked down to a minute. WIN WIN.

My only complaints about cells are that there is ZERO reason in this day and age to have poor signal or no signal. I can talk to someone in china and run 2 businesses and take professionally grade photos...but have to stand on one foot with aluminum foil on my head at precisely a 37 degree angle facing due north to get a signal just 10 miles outside of town.
So you have to stand on one foot with aluminum foil on your head at precisely a 37 degree angle facing due north in order to stop and start your washer and dryer? Or do you just fly to China to do your laundry via cell phone? Doesnt seem an improvement in convenience to me..... LOL reminds me of few years back I had Boost Mobile on Sprint network. Yep, had to wrap big toe in aluminum foil, open window, stand on my head and wave foot outside to get signal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you have to stand on one foot with aluminum foil on your head at precisely a 37 degree angle facing due north in order to stop and start your washer and dryer? Or do you just fly to China to do your laundry via cell phone? Doesnt seem an improvement in convenience to me..... LOL reminds me of few years back I had Boost Mobile on Sprint network. Yep, had to wrap big toe in aluminum foil, open window, stand on my head and wave foot outside to get signal.
Nah I have good internet. Just PIA to make calls.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts