Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,045 Posts
I like being able to store pictures on a removable card. I like being able to change a battery if necessary. Iphones do not allow you to do either.

·
Administrator
20,515 Posts
Wife has an iPhone too. It is an easy phone to use.
I had an android after I had iphones and found I struggled with it a bit but that might have a lot to do with tech support.

All 3 of my kids have iPhones and they can walk me through problems without having to drive 60 miles to Calgary and waste a half day sitting at an apple store. If I can call or text for assistance, I can even avoid watching them roll their eyes while they answer questions.

I believe that the phone I'm replacing is the first new iPhone I've had. I usually wait until one of them upgrades and get a few more years out of one of theirs. My daughter refuses to pay for new phones because she's hard on them and buys hers as needed off the local buy & sell.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You ain't playing my video games on your iPhone ;)
You'd be surprised.

I play Borderlands 3 on my Note 10, among other games.

Google Stadia. Streaming games. Wave of the future. Consoles are nearly dead. Gaming PCs are too expensive.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I understand. Like I said I had a flip phone that I was happy with up until my wife bought me the iPhone about 2 years ago. I found I don’t need a PC now, as I pretty much just did internet with my computer. It was just that someone earlier mentioned people being “married” to their phones. I’ve seen that, but how can they judge someone else if they themselves are married to their PC? What’s the difference?
Everyone’s needs are different of coarse. But my phone is what I talk, text,email,surf the net,take pictures, and play my music on.
Yep. I use my desktop for contracts and such. That's about it.

Rarely use it for anything else. Depending on needing a contract or not, I may not be on it for weeks and weeks at a time.

Used to spend all my time on it.

Got on it the other day and was like, this is boring and the chair's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
You'd be surprised.

I play Borderlands 3 on my Note 10, among other games.

Google Stadia. Streaming games. Wave of the future. Consoles are nearly dead. Gaming PCs are too expensive.
Don't buy "gaming" PCs, build your own. It'll cost about as much as a good smart phone and last a good deal longer since no one is pushing obsolescence updates on them ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Don't buy "gaming" PCs, build your own. It'll cost about as much as a good smart phone and last a good deal longer since no one is pushing obsolescence updates on them ;)
My adult son (45) went to IT school and among others, college. He loves to build computers and is now selling another one he finished a month ago. All new parts including a new graphic card. I know 0 about these things but he tells me the card is a big deal and costly. This is a tower. He has it online for sale now and it should be gone soon. I don't know what all the parts do but I do know how to turn on my old lap top!

·
Registered
18,686 Posts
My adult son (45) went to IT school and among others, college. He loves to build computers and is now selling another one he finished a month ago. All new parts including a new graphic card. I know 0 about these things but he tells me the card is a big deal and costly. This is a tower. He has it online for sale now and it should be gone soon. I don't know what all the parts do but I do know how to turn on my old lap top!
They're not that hard. I built one back in the '90's just to see if I could do it.

Was a little hard nailing it together though. Tough metal.

·
Registered
884 Posts
They're not that hard. I built one back in the '90's just to see if I could do it.

Was a little hard nailing it together though. Tough metal.
my laptop is very old...around 10 yrs. Over those yrs he has replaced the screen twice, a couple of new hard drives and other stuff he did but I can't tell yo what! He keeps this thing running smooth and for that I am very grateful.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've built a few. Not necessary anymore.

I still run my 10 year old gaming system for office stuff.

Other than that I stream my games on my phone. Don't play enough these days to spend the money on it.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
LOL, I wait until forced to update phones. ATT in their infinite wisdom are discontinuing not only 3G only phones, but any 4G LTE phone that isnt on their whitelist. Found two whitelisted phones that were originally used by ATT customer but had clean IMEI number. I just need them for MVNO on ATT network. Not perfect but cheap enough to do what I need them to do, basically voice calls using ATT HD voice protocol (voice over LTE), basic texting and tethering. Yea ATT had the built in tethering/hotspot locked, had to use third party workaround. Nothing new under the sun.

I did look for simple unlocked dumb phone that does this but only one that looked like it would and had bit quality was something called Punkt.2 which is on ATT whitelist. But its like $400. Jeeze Louise, $400 for a glorified dumb phone? I wouldnt give that for a top end smart phone. Two phones I got, one a Sonim and other a Kyocera, one was $25 plus tax and other $40 plus tax. Both older with some quality built in, not cheap tossers. I had already bought the $40 one or would gotten two of the $25 ones. These whitelisted phones were locked to ATT network though work with MVNOs using ATT network. Had to manually create an APN file on both for the MVNO so could use data. Apparently ATT had blocked automatic APN that usually happens when SIM inserted and phone establishes contact with the MVNO.

Too much built in nonremovable junk on the Kyocera, but seen couple apps that will at least hide the stuff that cant be removed and I dont want to see. Too easy to accidently trigger this crap I dont want on there in first place. You can by way activate any Android phone without Google account, though it will complain furiously that its for your own good. But this means you cant use the Google apps or it will try to set all this up all over again. It really, really wants to lock you into playing patty cake with Google. Just like Apple wants to lock you into their walled garden of apps. You can find apk files independent of Google Play and sideload them from computer using ADB over usb cable.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Bleh,
I just turn off the wifi and data.
Doesnt work when my only internet is tethering computer to cell phone and using cell data....

Oh I installed F-Droid, its an alternative to Google Play for apps and it will only show apps that will work on this version Android. Anyway played with "text launcher" This is fast, REALLY FAST, no images, just text list of apps, but I couldnt find way to hide the apps I dont want. Then tried one called "discreet launcher". This seems to come close to what I want. Shows a list of all apps on phone, then you check the box for ones you want to hide. This is really close and probably I figure it out bit better, can create folders for example, can make it work long term. Already big improvement over default launcher that came with phone. I mean if you want to, you can hide EVERYTHING except "phone" and "messaging" and "camera". For me also need Azilink and Settings and Flashlight, Flashlight just cause thats handy. I might actually find "Compass" handy too and found useless little app that tells sunrise, sunset and phase of moon for that day. So just homepage with six or seven icons. Not busy homepage PLUS three pages junk apps to wade through to find one I want. Yea they are still there, but they arent in the way and dont get accidently touched. Alas I doubt just hiding them keeps them from running in background, so wont make battery last longer. I thought I found way to turn them off, but they came back with a vengeance.

·
Premium Member
30,045 Posts
Yeh, I forgot you use yours for internet tethering. Mine won't allow tethering. I could probably have Verizon unlock it for that but the tablet has it's own data allowance.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Its no panacea but found open source app called Super Freeze that stops background apps running willy nilly. Time will tell. Phone seems a little more responsive with SF turned on. I like this F-Droid, lot open source free apps rather than ad supported apps that make money data collecting. Oh found another useful small app called Bubble that lets your phone act like a spirit level. Nice there are actual useful open source apps out there not just trying to make money by hook or by crook.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am a bad person as well- I have 2 old flip phones. I hope the tecnology in U.S.A never gets as horrific as here in Sweden. We scarcely use cash anymore - everything is run on the smartphone. All the banks are closing, my bank is now 80 miles away. Today i got an S.M.S to say that the mail wanted to deliver a parcel. I should go in on the link(on my smartphone) to say when I would be home. The link was so long there was no way I could copy it onto my computer. I went in on the Post office´'s website and there it said there was a parcel for delivery- but how?. No contact inforrmation. Then I googled " how does one contact the Post Office", and found a phone number. GREAT. The "person" on the other end of the line was a robot who could not understand my accent. I have now sent an e.mail which they will reply to within 5 working days. Nothing here works anymore without a smartphone.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
I am a bad person as well- I have 2 old flip phones. I hope the tecnology in U.S.A never gets as horrific as here in Sweden. We scarcely use cash anymore - everything is run on the smartphone. All the banks are closing, my bank is now 80 miles away. Today i got an S.M.S to say that the mail wanted to deliver a parcel. I should go in on the link(on my smartphone) to say when I would be home. The link was so long there was no way I could copy it onto my computer. I went in on the Post office´'s website and there it said there was a parcel for delivery- but how?. No contact inforrmation. Then I googled " how does one contact the Post Office", and found a phone number. GREAT. The "person" on the other end of the line was a robot who could not understand my accent. I have now sent an e.mail which they will reply to within 5 working days. Nothing here works anymore without a smartphone.
The banks here in USA went fee happy sometime back, you had to have $10k in checking to avoid fees. I wasnt super excited but signed up with an online only bank. They provide free checks and upto four free ATM withdrawls per month from non network ATM. And no fees as long as you dont go negative. Only hassle is if sell something for cash, depositing cash is problematic, but not much of a concern in old age. And its all on computer, dont have any phone apps for it. And I sure am not going to use my phone to buy things, bleh. Well as long as there are the plastic cards. Suppose eventually phone or other electronic device will replace them. But I shouldnt live that long.

As to packages, if it wont fit in my mailbox, USPS wont deliver, have to pick it up at PO. UPS and FedEx, depends on driver. Many are in hurry and use the release I had to agree to to get delivery at all, they just toss it out at end of my driveway. Sometime actually out in road in front of my rural mailbox on other side of road. I have learned to track packages online so once they are dumped, I go get them quickly as possible. Usually no problems long as they arent there over night.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The banks here in USA went fee happy sometime back, you had to have $10k in checking to avoid fees. I wasnt super excited but signed up with an online only bank. They provide free checks and upto four free ATM withdrawls per month from non network ATM. And no fees as long as you dont go negative. Only hassle is if sell something for cash, depositing cash is problematic, but not much of a concern in old age. And its all on computer, dont have any phone apps for it. And I sure am not going to use my phone to buy things, bleh. Well as long as there are the plastic cards. Suppose eventually phone or other electronic device will replace them. But I shouldnt live that long.

As to packages, if it wont fit in my mailbox, USPS wont deliver, have to pick it up at PO. UPS and FedEx, depends on driver. Many are in hurry and use the release I had to agree to to get delivery at all, they just toss it out at end of my driveway. Sometime actually out in road in front of my rural mailbox on other side of road. I have learned to track packages online so once they are dumped, I go get them quickly as possible. Usually no problems long as they arent there over night.
Thanks fro the answer. It is intersting to see what is going on in other countries.
There are high bank fees on all accounts here. Checks? Not seen them for nearly 20 years. asked a bank clerk recently if checks still exist. We both laughed when she replied " quite honestly, I don't know"

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Thanks fro the answer. It is intersting to see what is going on in other countries.
There are high bank fees on all accounts here. Checks? Not seen them for nearly 20 years. asked a bank clerk recently if checks still exist. We both laughed when she replied " quite honestly, I don't know"
Its funny on the free checks, anymore they give me like 15 checks at a time so seems like I am reordering rather frequently. Hey they are free and if they want to pay the postage to send them out in tiny quantity fine. I mostly use checks for taxes and such, as they charge big fee to pay electronically, and you have to share personal info with third party to file taxes online, better to send them paper forms and a check. but used to do online electric bill. Then they upgraded and wanted me to sign up on the new system. It rejected me, called them and lady said wait a moment. Then said oh, they didnt have some personal info. Told her personal info is on a need to know basis and I am not applying for a job or credit, just trying to give them money. They didnt need my life history to accept money from me past 30 years, they dont need it now. Sure they want it in case I didnt pay a bill. But jeesh, paid every month last thirty years. since companies dont guard customer info very well, appologizing after the fact for hacked info not useful, better just to not share it if possible. Told them that I will just mail them a check once a month. When they can let me do that online without my life history, go back to paying online. Their choice. Sure it costs them lot more to process checks.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts