Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

Super Moderator
Posted 6/1/21 8:04 P.M. CDST

You little rebel!
I know your reply I quote was meant for MichaelZ asking if not having a smartphone, but can I be a rebel too and to paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines, "Steenking smart phones. We don;t need no steenking smartphones! "

On my new phone I figured out how delete all the apps except settings, FM radio, clock and contacts. Best part lobotomizing it increased my signal from 3 to 5 bars and the battery last about 3 days longer on a charge without all the crapps trying to access the data I have shut off.

Gadabout
@Shrek, the last phone I carried was the one I took when I went to Michigan, when my mom was dying. That was 13 years ago. I only bought that one in case I broke down on the highway. I kept it until the company no longer supported it. They sent me a new one for free, but I gave it to my grandkids to play with.

Registered
Posted 6/1/21 8:04 P.M. CDST

I know your reply I quote was meant for MichaelZ asking if not having a smartphone, but can I be a rebel too and to paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines, "Steenking smart phones. We don;t need no steenking smartphones! "

On my new phone I figured out how delete all the apps except settings, FM radio, clock and contacts. Best part lobotomizing it increased my signal from 3 to 5 bars and the battery last about 3 days longer on a charge without all the crapps trying to access the data I have shut off.
What kind of phone let you delete all that other stuff? Mine won't even let me delete Google.

Registered
I wont buy Apple phones. When someone looks at me and says "You dont have an IPhone? What is wrong with you?"

I tell them I prefer my phone not be made with slave labor. ;)

A phone is not a status symbol to me. I do pay 500 dollars for mine but it is a Kyocera military grade phone. I have dropped it, without an otter box (or any other protection) from a 10' ladder onto the concrete. Had metal shavings fall into my back pocket. Worked in a 4" rain looking like a drowned rat. Even dropped it ( accidently of course) onto a running table saw that shot it across the room. I still have not scratched the glass even.

I am still not one of the cool ones I guess. My last Kyocera lasted 6 years before the battery went kapoot. Not one scratch on the glass. Mine is just a tool though. Not any different than my table saw. Clients insist on this type of communication these days so here I am. One day I will not need it though I hope.
Most are made by Foxconn.

Reactions: mreynolds

Administrator
Especially phone snobs. IPhone is a pretty good phone really. Just not what I need for what I do.
I understand completely. I prefer iPhones because they are easier for me to use but I replace them when they are completely worn out.

My obsolete phone has been forced to stay alive for the last 2 years and I'm finally going to accept a new model but I bump into people all the time that can't comprehend not getting the latest model annually, just for the sake of a new toy.

It amuses me to no end that those who mock my obsolete phone are the same people who emphasize living a green lifestyle.

Registered
It amuses me that people bash owning an iPhone while they post from their PC or laptop, neither of which I use. My iPhone takes place of both.

Administrator
It amuses me that people bash owning an iPhone while they post from their PC or laptop, neither of which I use. My iPhone takes place of both.
Mine often does as well, unless I am physically in the office. There are many times when I'm needed in another capacity and the company still functions as long as I have my phone.

Registered
I understand completely. I prefer iPhones because they are easier for me to use but I replace them when they are completely worn out.

My obsolete phone has been forced to stay alive for the last 2 years and I'm finally going to accept a new model but I bump into people all the time that can't comprehend not getting the latest model annually, just for the sake of a new toy.

It amuses me to no end that those who mock my obsolete phone are the same people who emphasize living a green lifestyle.
Wife has an iPhone too. It is an easy phone to use.

Saltine American
I have a Android smartphone and use it about 12 hours a day and make or answer phone calls less than 5 times a month and a few dozen text messages. I do read 10 to 20 ebooks each month on it and listen to music or radio 6 to ten hours a day. Oh, and about an hour of news each day.

Premium Member
I still can't figure out how to get my pc to do what I want it to do. I want a phone that lets me make and receive calls and texts straight out of the box. I don't want to have to program a phone or sort through needless apps. I don't want to access the internet on my phone. The keypad on the phone is just too small for my comfort. The screen on a phone is too small to read comfortably.

People have many reasons for not wanting to use a phone to access the internet. And some people still want a phone that does things a phone should do without eating up data or battery usage.

Registered
I still can't figure out how to get my pc to do what I want it to do. I want a phone that lets me make and receive calls and texts straight out of the box. I don't want to have to program a phone or sort through needless apps. I don't want to access the internet on my phone. The keypad on the phone is just too small for my comfort. The screen on a phone is too small to read comfortably.

People have many reasons for not wanting to use a phone to access the internet. And some people still want a phone that does things a phone should do without eating up data or battery usage.
I understand. Like I said I had a flip phone that I was happy with up until my wife bought me the iPhone about 2 years ago. I found I don鈥檛 need a PC now, as I pretty much just did internet with my computer. It was just that someone earlier mentioned people being 鈥渕arried鈥 to their phones. I鈥檝e seen that, but how can they judge someone else if they themselves are married to their PC? What鈥檚 the difference?
Everyone鈥檚 needs are different of coarse. But my phone is what I talk, text,email,surf the net,take pictures, and play my music on.

Registered
I have a Android smartphone and use it about 12 hours a day and make or answer phone calls less than 5 times a month and a few dozen text messages. I do read 10 to 20 ebooks each month on it and listen to music or radio 6 to ten hours a day. Oh, and about an hour of news each day.
I love to read too. Never did it on my phone yet though. I like paper white Kindle.

Does that make me racist?

Can't do the back lit stuff yet. I am old school.

Registered

I use my company net to get online. That way they get blamed for wrongdoings.

Registered
I understand. Like I said I had a flip phone that I was happy with up until my wife bought me the iPhone about 2 years ago. I found I don鈥檛 need a PC now, as I pretty much just did internet with my computer. It was just that someone earlier mentioned people being 鈥渕arried鈥 to their phones. I鈥檝e seen that, but how can they judge someone else if they themselves are married to their PC? What鈥檚 the difference?
Everyone鈥檚 needs are different of coarse. But my phone is what I talk, text,email,surf the net,take pictures, and play my music on.
Little secret here. Don't tell anyone.

Android does the same but for half the price.

Like suave shampoo.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts