Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They assume I'm a lot smarter than I am.

I can't even set up my voice mail. I follow their instructions but don't get the screens they say I should see. A similar problem happened during the initial phone setup last night and I had to contact Google to tell me how to reset the phone to factory setup. I told it I didn't want to transfer data from my old phone, but 2 screens later required I wire the 2 phones together. I obviously swiped something the wrong way.

Today I searched for an article or video on how to take pictures with the google pixel 4a phone. I wanted a tutorial, how to initiate, where pictures are stored, how to transfer them to a laptop or desktop, etc. Every video I found assumed you already know all that stuff. I finally found I could email them to myself if I limited the number I sent at one time. But the only way I know it worked is I received them. I couldn't find any indication the email was sent or not.

I also find that the google fi messages disappear so fast I can't keep up with them. I had to tell the tech support guy to just stop last night. He was telling me things to do and I had no idea how to do them. They should realize if I knew how to do all that stuff, I probably wouldn't be contacting them.

Everything on the pixel is swipe. I don't know if apps stop, terminate, or what they do when they are swiped off the screen. I don't get it. These phones don't seem to be developed for the general user or for the techies. They are somewhere in between.

I guess the younger generation just has their brain wired differently.

·
Registered
18,686 Posts

I can't even set up my voice mail. I follow their instructions but don't get the screens they say I should see. A similar problem happened during the initial phone setup last night and I had to contact Google to tell me how to reset the phone to factory setup. I told it I didn't want to transfer data from my old phone, but 2 screens later required I wire the 2 phones together. I obviously swiped something the wrong way.

Today I searched for an article or video on how to take pictures with the google pixel 4a phone. I wanted a tutorial, how to initiate, where pictures are stored, how to transfer them to a laptop or desktop, etc. Every video I found assumed you already know all that stuff. I finally found I could email them to myself if I limited the number I sent at one time. But the only way I know it worked is I received them. I couldn't find any indication the email was sent or not.

I also find that the google fi messages disappear so fast I can't keep up with them. I had to tell the tech support guy to just stop last night. He was telling me things to do and I had no idea how to do them. They should realize if I knew how to do all that stuff, I probably wouldn't be contacting them.

Everything on the pixel is swipe. I don't know if apps stop, terminate, or what they do when they are swiped off the screen. I don't get it. These phones don't seem to be developed for the general user or for the techies. They are somewhere in between.

Mine wants my fingerprint.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My hubs had a Samsung, which I think is google, for a moment. We both hated it. Got rid of it and got him another Iphone.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
My email goes to my brother's phone. Not sure how it happened. Android.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Yeah - I had an old flip phone. Worked well & took me across the country driving alone. Get to GA and my daughter tells me to get into the 21st century! So I got an I-phone. Son set it up. I soon took off my e-mails, eliminated most apps. It's a phone for gads sake. It's now a tool for me to use as I like - which is little as I keep loosing it. :ROFLMAO:

Muleskinner2: fixed it!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Don’t get me started. I have an iPhone, what model or number, I couldn’t tell you.
It CONSTANTLY prompts me to “update” the phone, which I always ignored because it worked fine, and I hate changing things. Well about a month ago my voicemail messages wouldn’t come through. I was told to update my phone. So after a couple years I finally did one. Well, immediately my camera has bugs in it, the battery discharges faster, and it changed things around in an annoying way. For example, if I click on the icon on the opening screen to open the internet, instead of the internet coming on, it now asks what I want to do. Open the page, delete the app, and a few other choices. If I pressed that button I obviously want the internet, not a quiz! It does this for a lot of things now. Annoying as heck. BTW, the update didn’t fix my voicemail.

·
Registered
884 Posts

Ah, grasshopper, life is so much better when one requires less

·
Registered
884 Posts
Don’t get me started. I have an iPhone, what model or number, I couldn’t tell you.
It CONSTANTLY prompts me to “update” the phone, which I always ignored because it worked fine, and I hate changing things. Well about a month ago my voicemail messages wouldn’t come through. I was told to update my phone. So after a couple years I finally did one. Well, immediately my camera has bugs in it, the battery discharges faster, and it changed things around in an annoying way. For example, if I click on the icon on the opening screen to open the internet, instead of the internet coming on, it now asks what I want to do. Open the page, delete the app, and a few other choices. If I pressed that button I obviously want the internet, not a quiz! It does this for a lot of things now. Annoying as heck. BTW, the update didn’t fix my voicemail.
you could throw it across the room violently and kill it before it takes over your life completely...

·
Registered
884 Posts
you could throw it across the room violently and kill it before it takes over your life completely...
I still and always have had a non corded landline. Works great, no dead spots, Doesn't take pics but I have a Canon for shooting. Costs 14.00 a month unlimited...no 'lines', I didn't pay 400 dollars for it, It' gives me so much less ...and I am so happy with this kind of less.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh, I’ve been close.
I had a flip phone up until about 2 years ago and was happy with it. My wife bought this for me. I don’t really talk on it much, it pretty much just takes the place of my old PC. I had to deal with the same thing with my computer. It seems like they always want to update and change it. My kids got me a brand new laptop for Christmas, I’ve never even used it. Not once.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Posted 5/29/21 1:01 A.M. CDST

My kids got mad because I refuse to get a cell phone. I told them I don't need a leash. They asked what I would do if I broke down somewhere. I've broken down 3 times. Every single person that stopped had a phone.
That's what I call the "got the time ?" factor.

So many now can't live without their leash phones, it is like in the past millennia where if you didn't have your watch all you had to do was ask someone around you what time it was.

I realized that I no longer needed a pager / payphone and was leaving my flip phone at home 90% of the time and the three times my rig broke down the cops either came within 20 minutes on normal patrol or someone behind me called them on their phone.

Once the cops showed up, they called my tow man mechanic to get me home and my rig in his shop.

After realizing I had no need for a pager / payphone and ditched it, it was the best 5 years to me.

Now I have the need of the pager / payphone again with our sideline restored used car business starting back up , but if not out looking for cars , I turn it off so it doesn't bug me. and dumbed the 4G flip phone down to phone only by deleting all the amber , weather and public safety alerts, voice assistant, maps, youtube , store and internet apps so it is a 2G grade phone

If someone calls it when it's off if I call them back I just tell them I must have been in a service dead zone LOL.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Power it totally off.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
My son found the app for our new refrigerator. I now know that yesterday the doors were opened and closed 29 times...
OMG o_O that's as frightful as the new proposed government budget.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Power it totally off.
I did that too. It’s fixed now, but I had to go to the US Cellular store up in the county seat to get them to figure it out. I was somehow lock out of voicemail, but the issue was on their end, not my dumbphone.

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
My son found the app for our new refrigerator. I now know that yesterday the doors were opened and closed 29 times...

Does it tell you when the milk has expired or the cheese is moldy?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts