I had forgotten what a real potato should taste like!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It has been many years since I had a home grown potato. Mine didn't make this spring, but I'll try again this fall, because I won't be able to eat those green store potatoes ever again!

Thank you Valent!!! WONDERFUL potatoes and onions and I can hardly wait to taste the shallots I'll be growing from the starts you gave me!

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We had new potatoes on the grill over the weekend. They're better than chocolate!

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I second that, they are better than Chocolate. My Favorites are Blue and Yukon potatoes.
    Going to have to get rid of that gopher so I can grow potatoes next year!

4. Cyngbaeld

I put mine in too late, then had to turn the water off till the line was repaired then the chickens enjoyed a little gardening escapade......... soon as it cools off a bit........

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Well, you are certainly welcome.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Better than chocolate? Hmm...

I do love the taste of my homegrown spuds, but would not go so far as to label them "better than chocolate."

OTOH, I am getting the start of an idea for a creative new dish: Chocolate Covered Homegrown Spuds!!

What do you think? :p

Pony!

7. Cyngbaeld

8. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I've heard it said that you shouldn't grow potatos since they're so cheap to buy.

I like that new potato taste and texture and I like the fact that they're a "plant and forget" kind of plant that none of my predators bother with.

Next year I think I'll make a few row covers though because my chickens did get into the potato patch and scratch a bunch of them up before the plants came up.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! I was only kidding!

I think I may try the chocolate version, but not the peanut butter. Blech! I had one too many PBJ's in my brown bag growing up, and just really dislike Peanut Butter.

Pony!

10. Cyngbaeld

Ed, I used to believe that too, but a few yrs back the potatoes sure started getting green and nasty tasting. I KNOW they weren't like that before.

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Start cooking! I'm on my way!

I was talking potatoes with one of my customers yesterday. She said the last bag of potatoes she bought tasted like they'd been cooked with sewer water. That's the last bag she bought. I'll have 25 lbs of new potatoes waiting for her when she comes to shop next week. She's ordered 100 lbs for later in the season. Buying them from me is definitely not less expensive than the grocery store - until you figure in money spent on something inedible. I'm sure most store bought potatoes aren't like the ones she bought, but she isn't taking chances.