I guess I need a new trough

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Argent Farms, May 18, 2006.

1. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Well I guess I'd better figure out a new feed trough for the piglets. Right now I'm just using a big hard rubber bowl, but the big one will just stand in it to keep the smaller one out. So the little one sticks her snout under and flips the whole thing over!

I'm thinking of making a quick form out of 2x6s and using the bowl to make a hole in the concrete. Do that twice and stick the 2 concrete things next to each other.

Anyone got thoughts on that or a better idea?

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Your idea is a good one although, you better not want to have to move it around much! Pigs will still get under it and flip it or whatever I would think. A better idea still would be to take the time to build a two spot (one on each side) self-feeder out of lumber and plywood. It is fairly simple and then you can eliminate feeding duties for a number of days depending on how big you build the hopper. I built one and it works well. I made it heavy enough that when it gets empty it is still solid enough to avoid taking a beating.

3. wishomesteader

wishomesteader Well-Known Member

my neighbor just told me to dump it on the ground in several spots for our two feeder pigs. i feed them 2x a day and this seems to work fine. good luck

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

What wishomesteader said. Dump the food on the ground in a couple different spots. Reduces fighting over the feed and I've never seen a pig waste a kernel of corn. If they start to get lazy about cleaning up, hold back the food for a day. They will clean up like you wouldn't believe.

Pete

5. jspear21

jspear21 Member

I'm having difficulty with feeding, too, and want to add an outdoor self-feeder, but can't afford one commercially-produced. I've seen dozens of measured drawings online for feeders, dating back to the thirties and usually provided by extension services. However, the plans don't give me enough detail to complete or even start the work. I have decent carprentry skills, but have trouble getting started with this project. If anyone can help me with step-by-step plans/instructions I'd be very grateful. Directing me to such a resource would be great, too. Thanks.

6. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

We made a self feeder (we free feed our pigs for butchering, but not our breeders) out of a water heater pan bolted to a galvanized garbage can with a hole cut out the bottom.. Then we ducktaped some heavy cardboard inside the can at a slant so the food goes down well to the hole. This worked reallly well, but you need to build a shelter over it, which we did with some scrap stuff we had lying around. Worked well for 5 pigs.

kids

7. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and we stuck a pallet under the feeder to keep it out of the muck.

Kids