I gotta' date with my own Pompano riggings

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Apr 29, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Sitting here with a varied group of tools, excess fishing stuff on my desk, creating Pompano riggings. Tomorrow is 'Skyway Bridge' fishing expidition day. The bridge is near ST petersburg, Fla; high tide is at 5:25 in the afternoon; we are going to go catch some salt water fish. There are plans to go catch some 'fiddeler crabs' to use as bait, plus buying some shrimp to catch the bait fish. I have been waiting for this for 4 months; Fla Gal's days off, high tide, and the weather to cooperate with the plan. Its now happening tomorrow.

Pompano are wide fish, excellent eating stuff, easy to catch, they are tall bodied fish, easy to fit one in a 10 inch frying pan, they are mostly rounded, easy to clean, good flavor. They are salt water fish, not found many places - except around here. I am bring East coast ideas tothe West coast of Florida, this is a challenge.

Fla Gal informs me that she goes fishing for 24 hours minimun that means I have to have 24 hours of food available to me in that I am diabetic, plus meds. I am going to go by the storage facility tomorrow and retrieve the foam mattress so I can sleep in the back of the truck tomorrow night. Also grab the things needed to survive the ordeal, lanterns, fish ice storage, TP in that the furnished facilities do not guaranteed such. This may be a return to pioneereism in a limited mannor or sense.

If I survive I will post our fish count and listing, if I do not don't worry about me - I died happy - with a fishing pole in my hands.........

2. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hi Mitch,
    hope u enjoy your trip. I used to live on the Clearwater end of the Courtney Campbell Causeway at a small trailer park called the Kapok Tree and watched them building the bridge from Clearwater to St.Pete . It was a great time, beautiful place to raise a couple of 3 year old twin boys. They were raised on the beach, still miss the place.

Have fun, my husband is jealous, he loved to fish in that area, we were just learners but enjoyed it. We would fish under the Causeway and the Dolphins would swim right by just off the beach.

Carol K

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

What the heck are Pompano riggings?
    I used to fish fresh water. My fishing buddy, himself was a Rottweiler, has gone to his rest some time ago.
    It's been a billion years{at least it seems that way} since I've been fishing!
    I'm getting real itchy!

P.S. Friends took me out for Blues once- I was the only one who caught a thing! It was a pitifully tiny flounder! I still had a great time.
    I hope you have better luck!
    Have fun!

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Pompano riggings are a steel lead wire, about 20 to 24 inches long, with at least 2 offshoot wires that each have hooks. There are provisions to attach a weight to the bottom, this allows the bait to be off the bottom elevated above where the crabs and cat fish usually find it.

5. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

What we called a Catfish rig when I lived in TX.

Mon

6. ozarksnick

ozarksnick Don't Tread On Me!

Good luck with the pompano fishing. I used to try for pompano when I lived near Pensacola. Never had any luck, always caught those doggone saltwater cats. Oh well.

I'm going out this weekend for fish too, though of the fresh water variety. Hopefully get a good mess of bream for the freezer.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You will have a great time even if you catch nothing (but fresh Pompano and some extra for the freezer would be a super bonus!). Once you get the knack of sleeping and living out of the truck, you will have no boundries. Just think, you can follow the fish wherever they run!

We go to Bahia Honda State Park every year. I am continuig a tradition my parents started back in the 60's. It is paradise. Check it out on the Internet. Words and pictures don't do it justice. Once you have your camping equipment and routine down pat, the whole state becomes your vacation home.

Let us know all the pros and cons.

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

We are back, fishless though. Catching the grunts (bait fish) was easy, just drop a tiny hook into the water suspended about 8 inches above the lead weight, now tension the line so you can see the pole tip start to sag as you lift up on it. The tiny fish, about as big as a candy bar, hit with a zest equal to a bigger fish. After I caught about 6 of them then we started to fish with seriousness. Fla Gal got two heavy strikes, enough to put a 90 degree bend in a stout boat pole, (a boat pole is a thick almost ridgid standard length pole thats most often found on off shore hired fishing boats), neither strike netted anything but a small quick 'heart start.'

I never recieved any strikes that day, but did catch the most although it would take about 30 of them for a single person to have supper. It was a pleasant outing until we got invaded by an exstended family complete with playpens and toddlers, and a boy about 8 years old whom did cross cast my line twice, and they were noisey. The tide changed so we crossed the pier to take advantage of the currant until it got dark.

The Skyway Bridge fishing pier is about 4 miles long at both locations; being the original bridge from St. Petersburg and Palmetto, Fla. A barge hit it causeing a completely new bridge to be build, so rather that finance the project the state instead changed it to a fishing pier. There are two 2 lane section that feature a complete loop located at both the North and South ends, restrooms, a store, and fish cleaning area is provided for a daily fee of $7.48 for a 24 hour pass.

The night we were there, Saturday, it became the party destination for about 2,ooo people - some of which came to fish! Any color or nationality you wished to see was there, at least 500 vehicles were there and there was room for the same amount more to arrive. With such large numbers of people there the dolphins also came to the atraction - but were looking for supper! The people attract the fish via the bait, the dolphins know that and seek an easy meal. But their presence also scares off the fish, hince no body was catching much.

Some of the people came in their RV's, home on wheels seems to be a good way to go fishing if you can afford it. I suggest you come on a week night if you descide to do this visit, too much activity on weekends for us. Just take Interstate 275 South out of St. Pete. Don't worry about mosquitos, there are none in the ocean breeze. No license required to fish there also, but there are size limits and other restrictions: alcohol, open flames, ect.

9. stormwalker

Well, It sounds like you had fun up 'til the invasion. I wish you could tell what hit on Fla Gal's line!
    This is getting me so itchy! I'm going to have to find a way to get to some fishable water !!

10. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

A 4 mile long pier.. wow! I would love to check that out someday. I have done alot of fishing on the coast of nc, pier and surf. I learned to tie my own rigs early on as well, they are much stronger and much cheaper than them store bought rigs are.

If there is anything better than eating a fresh, 15 min. old flounder or trout right on the beach, on the outer banks,with a good beer buzz and your toes in the sand, I've never experienced it.

Kurt

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Fla Gal here,

Stormwalker,

When we got there, on incoming tide, spanish mackerel and jacks were running. People were catching a few before the dolphins, three young ones, not more than 6 or 7 feet long, showed up. I think the first hit was a jack. It hit hard at a full run and kept going. I ended up with a bare hook. Dang!!! :grump: The second hit was probably a mackerel, it didn't hit as hard but was fiesty. I got it part of the way in and it threw the hook. Oh well... at least we had fun until the invasion.

Life without fishable water just isn't complete. You need to find yourself a good fishing spot and some time to go there. Time seems to go so slowly when you're waiting for a bite but seems to have gone so quickly when it's time to go home. I hope you find a good fishing spot or two to frequent.

So the non-fishing people will understand...

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life.

I have three things to do today... Fish... Fish... Fish...

Fishing isn't a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.

:D :D :D

Fla Fishin' Gal

12. stormwalker

Boy, oh, boy!
    What fun!!
    When you do catch them, how do you like to cook them?
    I'm so hungry! LOL
    You are right! I gotsta go fishing!
    Let us know how you do next time!

13. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Mitch makes to die for cornmeal battered, deep fried fillets and I also like fish broiled in butter, lemon suace and sprinkled with parsley. Also just plain fish gently fried in a little oil. Another way I like to do fish is wrap it in aluminum foil with butter and do it on a grill or in the oven.

Durn ya!! Now you made me hungry. :p

14. stormwalker

How's he do the cornmeal batter?

I hate to tell you, I'm still hungry!

I'm going to make sure to go fishing soon- I can even say it's a health issue, and it's the truth !!! LOL