I got wood!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Janis Sauncy, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I just got my dumptruck load of wood dropped in my driveway! What a good deal my employer offers us.

The tops of the logs that are too small to be cut in to boards are loaded into a dumptruck as full as it can be loaded. It is then delivered to employees who have signed up. The sign-up list is long. I signed up my third week of work there (around the second or third week of May) and he just got to me. But my only cost is $50.00! The $50.00 is taken out of my paycheck and, instead of going back to the company, goes into the Adopt-a-Family fund. So, basically, the mill I work for "eats" the expense of loading and hauling the wood to us. And, we get a minimum of three cords of wood for $50.00!

I ran into a coworker last night at the store. He asked me if I had gotten my wood yet and I told him I was getting it today and I was SO excited. He told me if I get that excited about firewood, I need to get out more. Oh, well.....I'm STILL excited. Now, the work begins.....they're in four to eight foot lengths, so my kids have some work to do!

Just wanted to pass on my good fortune!

2. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Lucky you! We picked up our wood when we lived in town from the city recycling dump. Free compost, wood (if you haunted it morn. noon and nite!), and a place to dump grass, leaves, brush, etc. Round here about every teeny tiny hub has one, even. Handy.
    Problem is, you pick up a lot of wood that hasn't been seasoned yet. So the first year we "foraged". Plenty where we are in the country on our grounds now. But I know how you feel!

3. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

We got over 20 free pick-up loads over the past week. My dad followed around the Asplundh (sp?) tree guys who are cutting down trees for the electric company before winter. If the owners of the trees don't want to keep the wood for themselves, the tree company just hauls it off to throw it away!!! :flame: My dad asked them if they would let him haul it off and they were so grateful to not have to bother with hauling and disposing of it themselves that they even loaded it up for my dad and came to our house and unloaded a lot of it. Since we have an outdoor wood boiler, it burns even newly-cut wood beautifully. We have wood everywhere, but we are so blessed and thankful! Free fuel for the whole winter, we think. :dance:

If anyone sees those tree guys around, ASK THEM if you can have the wood. It really paid off for us. They bent over backwards to help us out, some of you might be just as lucky.

4. Janis Sauncy

Sounds like you got an even better deal than I did!

Also, I'm not sure, but I think it is possible to get the chippings from Asplundh(sp?), too. You probably have to hit it just right (when they're running the chipper), but it seems to me that I've been told they need places to drop those chippings. Anyone else ever hear that or did I dream it?

Also, just curious, but when you refer to an outside wood boiler, are you talking about one of those outside wood furnaces you see advertised in magazines like MEN or Countryside? I've been curious about those and what kind of expense is involved, efficiency, etc.

5. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

You're right about the wood chips. Two years ago the tree trimming crews were in our area and we got a bunch of wood chips dumped on our farm- I thik around 15-16 loads. Haven't gotten any firewood from them, but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for them again this winter- so far we have cut zero wood for this winter :Bawling: And our only heat source at the moment is wood :Bawling: :Bawling: I guess we're going to end up buying wood this winter :Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling:

Oh well, we knew it would happen, but we had so many other projects going on that were higher on the priority list. But, I told DH that this will be the LAST TIME that we buy wood- we will be chopping wood like woodchucks this winter to get ahead for the next couple of years to make up for our lapse.

I think you both got good deals.

6. Fryegirl

Fryegirl Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I won't tell you what I thought when I read the title of this thread.

7. Janis Sauncy

Fryegirl:

I didn't get THAT good of a deal!

Janis

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Congrats Janis - that's great!

9. jross

jross swamper

Here in New Jersey a cord goes from $165 to $300 depending on where you get it. You got a got a good deal.

10. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

That's a darned good deal.

Following around the utilities company cutting crews is a good idea.

My last load of wood (not nearly three cords) was from a freak 10 minute wind storm this past July. Took down trees here and there. The benefit of living in town, was that almost ALL the homowners with downed trees just wanted it out of there. They were delighted that I offered to cut it up and haul it away for free!

I keep my eyes peeled for tree trimming and such as I'm going through town. I know eventually my luck will run out though. If it does, I'd be thrilled at $50 for three cords!! (And I'd be excited about for days too!!)

11. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Glad I wasn't the only who had that thought...Because if that kinda thing was news worthy, there'd be a lot more posts up in here!! :dance: