Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dumped a pile of ashes from a burn spot to a ditch about 200ft away. it was downhill slightly, so it wasn't all that bad. 7 wheelbarrow loads of it. From now on im emptying the ashes in the ditch whenever I take them out from the stove, BUT after around the 3rd load, I got to thinking about heart attacks and strokes, and I got to wondering. Is this what old people do, Think about the possibility of such stuff while there doing anything arduous? If so, are they mentally easing themselves into the grave without even knowing it?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Why worry about the things you have no control over...

I have a friend that did actually die. He had a clot break loose and it hit his heart and stopped it.. His wife found him and freaked out and started slamming him on the ground and on his chest, and some how his heart restarted. He was in the hospital a few days over that. He has a very rare blood disorder that also killed his father at 35... My friend is 36...

Well, he sat around for over a year not wanting to do anything, because he was afraid if he did, i would kill him.. But his wife couldn't support them, so she said get a job or get out.. He got a job.. He's doing well, and felling better getting exercise...

Sitting around doing nothing was killing him faster..

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
dont know about last part.....but i wanna know why you aint dump it in garden...i wish i had it.all ash and charcoal from stoves and grills and firepits go to my raised beds.

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did that one year. The ground was like plaster it was so hard. Took years for it to get mellow again.

B

·
0 Posts
66 isn't old..it's not the 1800's Bill when people who were 45 were toothless, and dead by 70..LOL..instead of pondering death by wheelbarrow, why not think of ways to do things smarter/easier? How did you get 7 wheelbarrows full of ashes?

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. I looked. I said (7 Wheelbarrows of it). I guess that could interpret to my owning 7 wheelbarrows. I don't. I had 2, but my boy got one. They were his great granddads anyway. 66 aint old. 67 IS slipping near to 70. Ill be splitting trees with wedges and sledges next week we ll see how that goes. I was going to do that tomorrow, but I see we ll have possible frost by Fri, so Ill cut hay tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i got a local friend in his mid 60's and he is building a stone Mediterranean style home.its stone walls and round and hewn beans exposed inside.the thing is his land is steep....most of our land is here....he has gathered all the stone by hand and moved by wheel barrow.mixes mud by hand ...does a little along....you should see it...its a living piece of art filled with character.i would like to know how many tons of stone he has moved. he is off grid too.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Don't know what you are burning FBB, but my asparagus bed is anything but "plastery" under the ash blanket I placed on it. Good luck with your moving project, and try not to have the big one while you are at it. And why are you splitting tires? And what hay would you cut the day before a frost?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Last week I was up at the firehouse helping our mechanic pull the tranny from a 3500 dually... The man is 72 years old and could get around better than I could under the truck... I would have sworn he was 30...

My grandfather is 92... He still rides his bicycle 10-15 miles several days a week..

These guys can do it because they continue to do it, not because they sit around..

Reactions: newfieannie

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get them glasses checked again. It says TREES.
Im burning oak, black jack.
Were not getting but supposedly down to 34 FRI NITE.

I suppose My having a summer heat stroke clicked in my mind with the feelings of doing that hauling. Im not used to having any problems, so, I guess, having had a problem, Im reminded of it somewhat when I do DO anything strainous. Like I said, Ill know more when Im splitting TREES.
As to getting around, Up till last year, Ole Chuck/Ox could get around way easier than I could.
I usta know people who could do things at a great age, and I know people who didn't make it who did things also. Age in itself isn't a sentencer, OR a guarantee of long or short life. Theoretically, I should live up to 100, as my folks died in their in or near 90s.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Sorry about the trees/tires mix up FBB. They just don't sell good quality reading glasses at the flea market like they once did.

But on the hay, are you making hay or silage? If hay, can you get enough dry, warm weather to cure it this time of year?

·
newfieannie
9,654 Posts
I've got one exactly like the one Elkie posted there. it's a funny thing though. my husband really liked it. I went back to my old wheelbarrow. just a matter of what you get used to I guess. I also have a cart to pull behind the 4-wheeler/mower but I use that in the country. no room here. I do feel for Bill with those ankles. I myself don't think I could get around if I had my feet in that condition. so I do believe he does wonders. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,654 Posts
I was reading Simi's post about sitting around. that is a killer of backs. I could barely move without pain this morning. I spent all yesterday taking my friends to the hospital and whatnot. that is harder on me than digging a ditch. me having to pull on them to hold them in the wind and they're pulling against me. they wont use chairs.

I could have stayed sitting all day. but I had to get moving so I could get the kinks out. took an ibuprophen ,rubbed my back with A535, did a few exercises. went out and filled a few bags of leaves and put all the recycle stuff down.nailed a board on the gate. I was slow but eventually I got back to normal and started to loosen up. after I have a tea I'm going to start giving the kitchen a second coat. I'd still be sitting in my easy chair if I hadn't pushed myself to make the move. ~Georgia

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
I dumped a pile of ashes from a burn spot to a ditch about 200ft away. it was downhill slightly, so it wasn't all that bad. 7 wheelbarrow loads of it. From now on im emptying the ashes in the ditch whenever I take them out from the stove, BUT after around the 3rd load, I got to thinking about heart attacks and strokes, and I got to wondering. Is this what old people do, Think about the possibility of such stuff while there doing anything arduous? If so, are they mentally easing themselves into the grave without even knowing it?
Nobody gets out alive so I tend to not worry about dying and honestly do hope I go doing what I enjoy, not laying in a hospital bed.

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't worry Paul, I get my glasses at WM

Got the hay mowed. Started at 10 15, Ran till 1 30 when sickle head shattered the rivets on my last rebuild. Took an hour and 1/2 to get old sickle out and put new one in. There is a metal plate that I had never noticed before that is riveted to the top of the shoe and the sickle head rests on it. It jammed in getting the old sickle out. FINALLY after taking odff a plate that rides over the sickle head, I could see what the deal was. Took and welded it to the top of the shoe, and slipped the new sickle in and got ready to go when I noticed one cap was gone on my PTO universal. Didn't have anything to fix that with, so I went ahead and got it done. Just as I was putting the mower in place to take it off the tractor, the Female end of the PTO shaft slipped off the universal. So Ill have that to fix when I get my check. Went and got the hay rack. ill rake it tomorrow, and bale it on Fri. Its only around a foot tall, so It ought to dry out OK. It was pretty warm here today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts