Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So excited! There were actually nuts on there. Last year I planted to late and this spring we had issues with a sneaky rabbit so I didn't think they would do anything. My celery did great too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd have to check the package but that sounds about right.

Reactions: 7thswan

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's 120 days for the peanuts and 125 days for the celery. I've got 2 dehydrators full of celery, a feed bucket full in the frig and the biggest stalks set aside for the peanut butter!

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
My celery did awesome this year, I still have most of it growing. I'm canning tomatoes(were frozen), drying out boxes of sweet potatoes near the cookstove and hanging bags of onions in the laundry room. I raised 6 diffrent kind to find what I like best for sweetness and storage combined. Oh ya, I have a pile of leeks I dug. And it's opening season for Deer this weekend, and we always have hunters come stay. Ya, too busy!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harvest time is a wonderful time. Lots of work but so satisfying. Still have lots of tomatoes to put up. Got our first freeze this morning so lots of green tomatoes, peppers, beans and herbs to deal with. This is my first year growing celery and am surprised by how well they did here with our hot/dry summers.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, congratulations on your peanuts! I have never even thought of growing them. I think I would be very excited to see that they did well.
I planted them because the extension agent said they wouldn't grow. They are a commercial crop in northern New Mexico so I didn't understand why they wouldn't grow here. They do!

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I planted them because the extension agent said they wouldn't grow. They are a commercial crop in northern New Mexico so I didn't understand why they wouldn't grow here. They do!
I did the same thing with Cotton. I thought it didn't grow/ripen the bols. But in the spring I found a bunch ready for me to work with, while I was cleaning the beds. It was just a "novelty" seed, and I never found it again. Course, I do grow way too much stuff, I do not even like to spin cotton. But, I just like to grow things!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts