I got my stack of straw laid out in a line, and double raked it into a windrow

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by FarmboyBill, May 14, 2018.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Mechanic is coming over tonight to see what he can see. Ill try to bale up the windrow. He ll try to see what is causing it not to tie the bales. IF we cant get it figured out, I asked the banker for a loan to take it to a imp place where they said they were near positive they could fix it, FOR $90hr. Id have to rent a trailer at least once at $75. Considering I made 8 1/2 5X5 bales, and im told theres around 15 squares in a 5 X 5, and that was only one cutting, and that wasn't my acre+ pasture, I should come out on it come winter. horse people like squares better than rounds, and every wanna be rancher with one to 20 acres has a horse or three here in Okieland

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Horse people want good quality hay without a lot of weeds.
    That means cutting it several times during the year instead of letting it get overgrown.
    You'll come out better to pay someone to bale it for you.

3. FarmboyBill

I made $7 a 5X5 round bale for 8, neighbor raking it cause my rake died, and bailing it. I couldn't move or load them, so the buyer also had to bring their own tractor to load with.
    Since theres supposed to be around 15 squares in one 5 X 5, I should be able to come out smelling like a rose, if I can get my baler fixed. Im not waiting too long. When I see the neighbor, Im gonna ask him if/when he wants it, and if I havnt got it fixed by then, he can have it.

4. FarmboyBill

Heck, If it got weedy, and I sold them for a buck, Id still make a bundle.

5. Bearfootfarm

Nope.
    You're going to spend more trying to get all your stuff running at the same time than you will ever make selling hay.

6. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

90 x 2 = 180.00 + 75.00= 255.00 another 200.00 in cutting raking and baling (fuel parts labor - you have stated you physically unable to do things and I'm being cheap here) 455.00 before you even start. Let's say your first cutting produces 120 bales.( I highly doubt this with no input of fertilizer and lime) you have 3.79 in a bale . If your gonna please a horse customer you need it tested and it better be perfect or you will loose your rear.

7. FarmboyBill

Whatever ya think. I figure $20 max for gas to mow/rake bale 6/7 acres.
    What have I stated im physically unable to do? I, once a month don 48lbs of armour, and put on a 16lb helm and fight for 2/3hrs. I am physically able to do, and hold my own with a doz or so guys 1/2 my age. 8 5X5 bales is what I made last year. 1 3 X 5 round bale. That did not include my acre+ pasture. IF I had my hay tested, I wouldn't be selling it for $5. As I said earlier, MOST people having 1 to 20 acres here in Okieland have a horse or 3. MOST of them cant afford them, or much else, and I doubt ill have a bit of trouble selling the hay. WHY do you judge OKLA standards by FLAs standards.??

8. coolrunnin

coolrunnin Well-Known Member

Theres quality prairie hay all over Oklahoma for 2.90 a bale what makes yours worth 5?

9. blanket

blanket Well-Known Member

Dad says it will beat snowballs right? How much Johnson grass is in it?

10. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

I'm not judging ok standards by anything. Good luck , you're gonna need it.

11. blanket

blanket Well-Known Member

kind of like a new season sequel

12. isaac338

isaac338 Active Member

Please.. say more about this, and post pictures. I may sound sarcastic but I'm actually quite intrigued!

13. FarmboyBill

Issac, Go to U Tubes, type in SCA Gulf Wars, Ravine Battle. I was there
    CR, What will make it worth $5 is jan/Feb
    Very little JG, and it hasn't shown up as yet, and wont till july/Aug

14. Bearfootfarm

It will be July/August before you get all your stuff running at the same time.
    You started working on it over a year ago.
    (Which was about the same time you said you were going to get rid of the Johnson Grass) ;)

15. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

Time moves slower In OK . And June 1st is 2 weeks away. I have every piece of hay equipment I own field ready and only waiting on the grass to get high enough.

16. FarmboyBill

Bear, I SAID last year, that I would NOT farm the ground this year, that I would take off one cutting, and then spray the JG when it shot up in July Aug. U/YOU said id never get the rake running, as did others, and it runs fine. I got 3 tractors now running. Just trying to get the baler fixed. M5, I guess when you got the money to have things as you state, that's pretty good.

17. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

Bill, I work 50+ hours a week and farm the rest there are a few pennies left over from time to time and it takes a sharp pencil to make a go and actually make a profit doing anything agriculture. I applaud your effort at trying to do this with antique equipment but to post your going to make a killing is far from the truth once labor and expenses are figured in. Its very true our area are different but one thing is the same and ALL HORSE PEOPLE are a little off center . All it will take is one finicky horse to turn his nose up at one bale of your hay and the world will come to an end with the owner trying to get you to take it back and refund the money . The hay business is not for the timid

18. FarmboyBill

Well, as Manny Wilder told his friends, God hates a coward.

19. Bearfootfarm

We'll see.........

20. FarmboyBill

Well, I got to the last ditch. A part is broke underneith the pickup. Im stopping by the neighbors tomorrow to see if he wants the hay.