I got my first Angora yesterday!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nans31, Feb 1, 2004.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I picked him up at a rabbit show, after purchasing him from a lady off the internet earlier this month. He is 9 months old, has a very sad haircut, no mats, is very clean, has a couple bald patches by his shoulders that she said was from wool mites and has been treated the day before. When I got him home and gave him a closer look, he has only one descended testicle. This is ok with me, I'm not planning on breeding him, I'd like to get some fiber and learn to spin later, and of course for a pet. He is the most gentle rabbit I have ever seen, just likes to be held, and sits on my lap patiently.

Last night he only pooped 3 times that I could tell, they were stuck to him, and no urine that I could find. So today I gave him pineapple juice from a straw, (he sucked it after a couple times of putting it in his mouth) and hay, and a small piece of an apple (a few hours before I got the juice). He ate the apple, but seems to be nibbeling on the hay. Tonight I brought him in the house, and after hopping around for a 10-15 minutes pooped lots, and peed (lots!) WHEW. I worried about blockage, but seems to be ok now.

Is the angora a more naturally mellow animal? My mini-rex could run circles around him.

nan

2. wynterwren

wynterwren Active Member

Hi Nan,

Congrats on your bunny! I have a herd of English Angoras...Some for wool production and some I show.

I'm glad to hear your little guy has a good home now!! You'll find they're very loveable and gentle animals.

As for the wool mites...if you don't see any improvement, a little cat flea powder will do the trick. Wool mites are the bain of most Angora breeders with show bunnies---we just learn to live with it and treat it.

About wool block....just watch his poops...if they're normal sized you don't have a wool block problem...I guard against wool block by feeding my bunnies their pellets, a high fiber grain mixture and few pieces of dried pineapple everday and I give them hay pretty much so daily--so far I've had only one case of wool block and that went away quickly. You might try giving him a 1/3 of a banana every so often for a treat--peel and all--- for some reason that helps with keeping them cleaned out.

Grooming will be your biggest challenge...you can use a blow dry on the cool setting to blow out the fur---blowing gets all the little webbing fibers out and makes life oh so much easier...I blow the bunnies out at least once a week, daily if they're show bunnies.

You might want to invest in a copy of Completely Angora--they aren't easy find, but they're pretty much so the Angora Bible. Also you can do web search for Lil Peck's Technical Manual for Angora Care or Betty Chu's site...both are loaded with information.

Spinning! Yes...that's how I got started in the bunny biz :D Bunnies today...goats tomorrow! (On a side note...I just got my first spinning wheel this weekend!!! I'm so excited!!! Now if I can just learn how to use it.....)

If I can help in anyway, please just let me know...

Again..congrats!!! Hoppy Trails to you and your new bunny!!!

Suzi

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Thanks Suzi, This morning there was normal poops in his cage, before they were small harder than they should be. Most of his water was gone, and his hay all cleaned up. I wasn't sure if he was just scared because of the car trip, and having new home or what, but he seems to be acting more like a rabbit should now.
    Does the fact that he has one descended testicle mean he wont be able to breed? I don't know if I want to at this point, but I'd consider castrating him if it would be better for his health.

As for the flea powder, wont he lick it off? Would you put it all over his coat, or just the areas that looks to be infected?

4. wynterwren

wynterwren Active Member

I use the flea powder on the areas affected. If it's wool mites, he'll have white waxy looking flakes and will be scratching himself quite a bit. Cat flea powder won't make him sick--Bunnies are like cats, they lick their fur so cat care products have to guard against making them sick because of their grooming habits.

As for the testicle issue, I don't know. I've never dealt with anything like that. I'm guessing you can breed him. I do know people who are big into raising wool production rabbits will have male castrated because it's been known to increase their coats. I've had older males castrated for that reason. They're too old to breed, but they can produce wool...We've never been of the mind to put a rabbit down for being old--they just stay with us until they pass away...They're pretty much so beloved pets before anything else to us.

Glad to hear he's settled down! Good for you and him!!!

Suzi

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

How are things going with your angora, now that some time has passed?

Like you, I just recently acquired my first angora - so I was keeping close attention to your thread.

My new guy is a bruiser- he reminds me of that old boxing kangaroo cartoon. Around 2am he goes into these fits of rage and beats up everything in his house - it sounds like a war going on in there. Then, suddenly, he's quiet and sweet again.

It's amazing getting to know this critter.
    I let him out in the house for an hour in the morning and then again for about an hour in the evening. Its so fun to see him discover the new things he's never seen. (He lived exclusively in a cage prior to now) Like that one cannot stand up on a soft cushion without falling over. Or that a bunny, if brave enough,can walk right through a "wall" made of fabric. (Drapes) He even seemed amazed one day that he could actually choose, on his own, which spot would be most wonderful for a nap outside of the cage. After testing multiple spaces, he settled on a nice dark corner under the dog's bed.

One day I wore an angora sock and he fell in love with my foot. :eek: That one incident really helped him get over any lingering fears of humans moving about, though. Now he's very relaxed, and he always runs right over to check if I have any angora wool on my feet. When I wear it, he gets delighted and starts doing "binkies" all over the room.

I'm so sorry I didn't get an angora sooner. Wool for free and all this fun too!

6. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

One day I wore an angora sock and he fell in love with my foot. :eek:

LOL!!!!!!! Too funny.
    I too have put him in the house, be doesn't hop-- he stretches, then walks his back legs up. After a few minutes, he'll take more tentative steps. Obviously hasen't been on solid floors! Lately, he's not been allowed in tho. We have a new puppy and she loves the rabbits, but isn't gentle enough yet.

I have gotten 2 does tho. They are a mix. I am enjoying them also, their faces are so much nicer to clean. But WILD.. :no: I handle them every day and they haven't come close to being as calm as the male. One is a little houdini- she escapes from almost every place.

I too am glad I got them, but boy are they lots, lots of work!!

:)
    Nan

7. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

<<<-------cat vet here who also treats rabbits (house pets, not livestock). I don't know for certain in rabbits, but I know absolutely that in dogs and cats a retained testicle (cryptorchidism) is inherited. DO NOT breed an animal with a retained testicle, as a favor to the breed. I neuter rabbits with some regularity, but have never done a cryptorchid. If you have him neutered, be SURE your vet goes in and gets that retained testicle out!!!!! Do not pay for a halfway job. If they are not comfortable with the surgery, then find one who is, or leave him be.In dogs at least, the retained testicle is prone to cancer. Not sure about in rabbits.

8. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand having retained testicle is inherited and I have no plans to breed. He is fiber/pet only.
    I am changing gears tho, and am going to sell the Angoras. He is being advertised as pet/fiber and will let the new owner know why.
    Nan