Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided on a Ford E-450 cutaway with a 17' cargo box . It has a door between the cab and the cargo area so I can get to my gear without getting out of my vehicle. It has
a sliding door on the right side of the cab. It looks more like a mobile command post than a cargo truck.

I am loading up my prep gear and extra fuel first so that I can leave quickly. If there is still time I will load up the rest of my things for my permanent move. There is plenty of room for a cot and a porta-potty so I can live in it for as long as necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Since construction work has gone capooey! I'm gonna convert my E350 cargo van into a camper/BOV. I got to unload my tools and parts, and remove the shelves and then start rebuilding to accomodate a couple of foldup bunk beds and a kitchenate inside. Then I'll be ready to go hunting, fishing, camping, or just bug out if I have to.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Have you thought about building in some false floors or walls, to hide some of your more valuable prep items?

Do you have a bug out location, or is your vehicle going to be the 'location'?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Rick - that sounds very good for you.

If you feel comfortable showing a photo of your new truck/van - please do.

Sounds as if it's going to be your portable home for awhile.
Do you have any idea which state you're going to head for when you leave out?

Angie

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Have you thought about building in some false floors or walls, to hide some of your more valuable prep items?

Do you have a bug out location, or is your vehicle going to be the 'location'?
A dang fine idea, Tex. A hidden switch to disable the ignition and prevent theft might be a good idea, too.
I'm a bugger-inner, but it sounds like an exciting project, and even if the "fan" stays nice and clean, you'll have yourself a nice weekend getaway vehicle.
I think if I were building something like that, I'd try to keep it as unassuming-looking as possible, possibly disguising it as a work vehicle. Something with "Ned's window-tinting service" or the like painted on the side would be less likely to get jacked by scumbags or draw attention from authorites than would a vehicle that looks as if it might be packed with food, fuel, and arms.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I decided on a Ford E-450 cutaway with a 17' cargo box y of room for a cot and a porta-potty so I can live in it for as long as necessary.
Seems like an expensive single purpose vehicle to me. I think a 17ft cargo trailer or better yet one of those Cargo/camper trailers and a pickup would be a better and more flexible option.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
sounds more like an AWESOME prospecting rig that a fella could use on a mining expedition and not worry about a whole lot...... lol

Ive got to pick up something for next year, now that I have access to a decent claim that will take awhile to figure out and of course it is a near perfect bug out location too..... near i say cause the road actually crosses the claim on one end and it has a meadow about 10 acres or so.

pictures would be nice to see of BOV, not that we want to know exactly what you have installed, but to give a few folks an idea of what you are talking about.....

William

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
While sitting up in my zombie proof tower this evening (I've got a hunting stand up on a "portable drilling rig" thats 25' up in the air), wishing that huge buck that's been playing with my emotions for weeks now would make a mistake... I thought some about bug out vehicles, and you're's in particular.

Swampman had a great idea'r .... a kill switch. What's the point of having a mongolicious bov, and have some losers steal it the first time you're out looking for food...

I'd want my vehicle to be unattractive to everyone... hillybillied to a point, or else have a 'business sign' on the sign that'd disgust most souls... something like mortuary supplies, used caskets, [what would make you want to keep your distance from a vehicle... right now... and in a natural born shtf scenario?]...

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
I'd want my vehicle to be unattractive to everyone... hillybillied to a point, or else have a 'business sign' on the sign that'd disgust most souls... something like mortuary supplies, used caskets, [what would make you want to keep your distance from a vehicle... right now... and in a natural born shtf scenario?]...
"Phil and Nick's porta-potty pumping service" , maybe?
Nobody wants to mess with those trucks that empty the "Mexican space shuttle", at least not on the jobsites I'm on.
Great minds, my friend....great minds..

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
You guys are just too funny!

Congrats on the BOV. :) I'm still looking for a good used motor home that I can 1) afford, and 2) use for camping and traveling to goat shows in the meantime.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks evryone! I was mostly thinking about Oklahoma since I have lived there before. I am also considering all the surrounding states. I am trying to leave before the SHTF so I want to find land that I can afford to pay cash and has low taxes.

I'm planning on taking some pictures as soon as I get my laptop back from repair. Right now I'm using my cell phone to keep up with everything on HT. I think that's a sign that I may be a addict. It's hard enough making posts, I don't even want to try uploading photos with it.

Besides using it as a bov/shelter, I also will be using it haul building materials, supplies, and anything else that's too big to put in the back seat of a car.

I could put a pest and varmit exterminating sign on the sides of the truck. On the back of the truck I could put another sign saying; CAUTION: Carrying dangerous and/or rabid animals. Another possibility is making a medical waste desposal sign with biohazard stickers on it.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Rick - in the past couple of weeks I've found myself checking HT via the net on my cell phone also.

It's really tricky deleting a post or making a post in that size and control range.

Oklahoma sounds good since you know it. I was also thinking the Medical disposal sign would not encourage lookers and light fingered folks.

Angie

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Thanks evryone! I was mostly thinking about Oklahoma since I have lived there before. I am also considering all the surrounding states. I am trying to leave before the SHTF so I want to find land that I can afford to pay cash and has low taxes.

I'm planning on taking some pictures as soon as I get my laptop back from repair. Right now I'm using my cell phone to keep up with everything on HT. I think that's a sign that I may be a addict. It's hard enough making posts, I don't even want to try uploading photos with it.

Besides using it as a bov/shelter, I also will be using it haul building materials, supplies, and anything else that's too big to put in the back seat of a car.

I could put a pest and varmit exterminating sign on the sides of the truck. On the back of the truck I could put another sign saying; CAUTION: Carrying dangerous and/or rabid animals. Another possibility is making a medical waste desposal sign with biohazard stickers on it.
...and if things got so wrong you might actually need to deploy some 'deception', a strategic squirrels tail hanging out the back door might come in handy!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My vehicles that are older have a mechanical fuel shut off.... and unless you know how to twist it, well lets say the thief has a bout 5-15 minutes of driving and maybe an hour afore i catch up that far on foot, and about that much of a head start when they run out of fuel before i get to catch up with the........ and have at it......

a fuel shut off coupled with a battery disconnect would keep most folks honest..... not all, but most. As far as keeping folks away from the rig totally I doubt nothing would do that..... best thing is to stay out of those type of places.

William
Idaho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts