Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
Do you mean Bond wool from that breed? If so, Bond wool is some of the nicest wool I have ever spun. I would give my eye teeth to get more Bond wool. It is rare to find Bond wool in the US. I think there is, like, only one flock of Bond sheep in the US, I think they are in CO. I had some once from Ozland and want to import more. It spins up gorgeous and makes nice garments.

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
I used to have 2 Bond knitting machines, a bulky one and a fine one. They work best with smooth yarns, and fairly fine ones. I knit some handspun on them, but they were fine yarns. I had a lot of fun with mine. They need parts now, the needles rusted on them during long storage. I don't know if my models are even still being made to get parts for it. I can't advise you on how to use the machines any more. I have forgotten much. They work best on simple patterns with plain knitting. To create ribbing you have to do some hand manipulations, and when increasing or decreasing you have to move stitches around by hand, if I remember correctly. The main thing is to work slowly and keep an eye on the knitting head so no stitches are dropped or skipped. The main thing is when you store the machine, keep it from moisture or conditions that will make the needles rust. They are just plaited so the finish can come off. I suggest starting with something like a triangular shawl that is plain knit. I made an angora one that I sold and it turned out absolutely gorgeous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts