Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been raising Cali's for about a year now. I keep their hides in anticipation of using it in blankets, hats, ect... But plain white fur is boring and gets dirty way to easily. I know that it can be dyed easily, but I find the monochromatic color of dyed fur dull. I like the color variation that comes with natural fur.

The other day, on Craig's List, I found a local black NZ doe at a reasonable price. She is a decent size, glossy black fur and big beautiful black eyes.

She is seven months old, and has never been with a buck. She immediately lifted for my buck and the deed was done. Repeatedly.

It is my understanding that albinism is the recessive trait, and that the pigmented gene will overpower it in the F1 generation. My inclination is to line breed her daughters back to the Cali buck that is their father.

I am not fussy about color, I just want a little variety in my fur.

So, from your experiences, what can I expect?

Thanks,
Curtis

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
The black may be hiding a rew gene which with cali would give you cali colored along with the blacks. If not you will get probably all blacks. Those blacks would carry the cali color from the other parent so when bred back to a cali parent you will again get some black and some cali colored.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please bear with me. Bio 101 was 25 years ago. I understand that breeding an Aa with an Ba will result in a 50:25:25 ratio. If this doe is a Bb and breeds with a Aa, will the genotypes hold true or could there be a mix of colors?

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Cali's and blacks should be aa-self and why the black/chocolate gene? There should be no b- chocolate. Usually a Cali is aaBBchchDDEE. Not guaranteed of course. Sometimes a dilute (dd makes things like blue) sneaks in or if they are out crossed to NZW they might have a rew gene so chc. Basic black is aaBBCCDDEE but again a dilute,d, sometimes sneaks in and when dealing with NZ a rew gene making Cc is common.

So we have self in both making all offspring aa, chocolate is rare in large breeds so all offspring should be BB, the Cali will probably give a ch but c is possible and the black will give a C with c possible making C*, ch*, and cc offspring possible. At that point we have blacks, Cali colored, and less likely rew possible. A chance for Dd makes blue possible but unlikely. You should only see EE looking animals because ee is unlikely and the Es gene will not show on self. All your color variety will probably come from the c locus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts