I got me a dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, May 7, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I'm here getting some more of my stuff and I have a new friend. Tanner, 2 1/2 year old male Golden lab/retriver. Everyone is saying he looks like oldyeller.
    He's such a good dog, loves to be patted and loves to swim!

Danny

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

That's wonderful! Congratulations!

I have such wonderful memories of my old Lab/Golden cross: big ol' yella dog named George. That animal lived to please me, and it was with great mourning that I had to put him down because of his hips...

Retrievers rock. :)

May you have many happy years with your new buddy!

Pony!

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Now you know you can do it! You're going to have a blast!

I never was a dog person, but when I moved into a 20ft container on my land, I got me a bear alarm doggie I named Auggie...1/2 bear, 1/2 lion, 1/2 Samoyed (I think). In the country, you gotta have a doggie. And now you do -- so now you gotta be in the country!

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Everyone should have a dog. I have 3 & they constantly remind me of what is important in life.Their Needs! Food,water. the need to go outside when they are inside & the need to come inside when they are outside. The need to play or chew somthing up.The need to be petted & fondled. The need to sit on furniture. (How did dogs evolve without furniture?) The need to love unconditionally. I think I'll keep 'em. :D

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I had that cross, too. Sammy looked like the Golden retriever side of her linage. She was a great dog. Very gentle with the kids who came along rather late in her life. I still miss her though she's been gone for three years. We put her down when she developed liver cancer at age 12.

6. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I got a lab mix that can't swim. She sinks like a rock. Talk about wierd.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

two things people have not mentioned are shots and training. before you let him off lead make sure he is likely to come back!few weeks of on leash and long line plus feeding(with a lab ,lab x a sure sign of being buddys!) should work for bonding . don't know if lepto has reared it's ugly head there yet but easy to get vaccine,only thing our guys don't get in vaccine is bordattela .lot less cost than fixing a sick dog. less heart wrenching too.

8. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

He does really good with out a lead. He stays right beside me, even when he sees another animal.

Danny