I got in my 2 new packages (happy sigh)

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Terri, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Mind, I had ORDERED Carniolan, but what I got was Italian. Oh, well, I like them just fine. The bees are in primo condition, and I didn't get any stings.

I have one hive that I can't tell if it is queenless or not-it MIGHT have a virgin queen though I suspect it has not- and so, after the queens are released I will give the doubtfull hive a few eggs.

At any rate I am determined to have a nuc this year to replace any failed queen. Last year AND this year I have had to scrounge to find a queen, and this year I could not find one. So, I will use a shallow super and keep some bees in it. If it is not needed, fine. It can grow into a hive if it wants to. If it IS needed, I will have it.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:confused: You have me totally comfused. Your queens are still in the queen cages and you don't know if you have a queen or not???
    If the queens have been released just look for eggs in the cells or capped brood.

There are a lot of places to buy queens, You just have to doit at the right time of the year. Here in Michigan queens will not be ready for sale till mid May. The drones have just began to hatch out for breeding the new queens.

:D Al

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

OH! The hive I thought was queenless was an established hive. And, yes, everyone said I could have a queen in May, but I wanted one THEN so I would have a good work force for the May honey flow.

As it turns out, that hive now has brood. There must have been a virgin queen in there, and I missed her. Alls well that ends well.