I got English Angoras!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Oct 1, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Well, well, I finally bit the bullet and got some English Angoras about two weeks ago. I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN! Here's a pic of my new bunny boy, "Dark Star's Willie"...totally out of coat condition, but cute as a button! Don't you love the teddy bear face? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have pics of the girls Liberty and Lacie yet, but you can see a pic of Liberty on the breeder's website at http://www.underthedarkstar.com/EApage.htm .

It's amazing how gentle and friendly these little fluffballs are. Man, I thought my Cals were easy-going...these critters are like ragdolls when you pick them up. We should have some babies around Halloween.

2. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

He is certainly a cutey! If it wasn't for the grooming I would be tempted to get a few...but my rough coated collies keep me busy enough with that. I need more long coats to groom like I need another hole in the head LOL.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL...I have a somewhat longhaired spaniel mix and I was thinking the same thing...there may be something to the hole in the head theory. But ooh, that coat!

4. Bluegirl

Bluegirl Well-Known Member

Definately something to the hole in the head theory. All my critters have long hair/wool. Your new bun sure is cute!

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Are those animals suitable as pets (gasp! is that word allowed in this forum) as well as fiber-stock? They've got that pet look to them.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL
    I've heard they make wonderful pets...they only weigh about 5 - 7.5 lb. so they don't need as large of a cage as meat breeds. Mine are very gentle and friendly little things. They don't really seem to DO much, but they're great cuddle bugs. :) Gotta warn you though, the grooming could drive you nuts! The breeder I got mine from groomed seven Satin Angoras in an hour and a half...and an hour and a half grooming ONE English Angora.

7. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

How adorable. Sure makes me miss my daughter's EAs. I just love them.

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Yes, they make great pets. I had one that I kept in the house, he was liter box trained. He used to set on my lap and I'd pluck fiber from him to spin. Don't get mad at me for plucking him, he liked it! They get to hot with all that fiber so they love it when some of it gets removed. He used to hop over to me and pat my foot with his paw when he wanted attention. He died of old age a few years ago. I've been looking for another one for a long time, but nobody near me raises them.

No, I'm not one of the bleeding heart PETA type people. I also raised CA's for meat. There ain't no rule says a homesteader can't have a cute pet in addition to the regualr farm animals.

9. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, that's a cute one all right! But I'd worry about wool block because I'd never keep up with the grooming (you should see my own hair! LOL!). I've got two fuzzier-than-normal young kits at the barn, now, though, from a cross that had one angora great grandparent. I'm waiting to see how furry they get before I figure out what to do with them!

Jennifer

10. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I have 6 English angoras.. they take me just about as long to groom them as my 22 French! LOL!! I was warned that Satin angoras take LOTS of grooming but so far, the 6 I have don't take me nearly as long as the English do..

Since I am not showing them (these are breeders), I simply cut the facial fur off.. seems all the mats I was finding (DAILY!) were on the face and I couldn't figure out a decent way to keep them groomed.. I may show someday if I could figure out the facial wool grooming routine.... These ARE the cutest and friendliest of the 3 types of angoras I raise.. they don't even mind laying on their backs on my lap while I groom them! Perfect "lap bunnies". I'd have them in the house but DH would throw a fit.. so I tend to go out and sit with them a lot. One of my EAs (a doe) licks me like she is a puppy.. started doing that from 4 wks on.. strangest little creature! Darling though, too..

Have fun with them! They can be addicting. I started out with one.. had to find him a girlfriend.. now up to 6 and HOLDING (at least for the winter). :p

Terri

11. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL...My younger doe Lacie, who's expecting the litter, looks like a Rex at the moment. But despite the intense grooming needs, they're so stinking sweet that I'm addicted! When I hold Willie in my lap, often he'll hop up and sit on my shoulder...such a cuddler, LOL.

Bet they'd be great for pet-assisted therapy...