I got a new tractor!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shakeytails in KY, Mar 24, 2004.

1. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

I went to the local dealership to look at a used tractor. We needed another because our large tractor decided to blow a big ol' hole in the side of the block, and the small loader tractor isn't a good hay tractor. The used Deere was almost 9k and it's 25 years old. I remarked to the owner that I'd really like a brand new tractor, but 26k really wasn't in the budget right now. Well, he showed me a brand new plain-jane Massey 481 (70hp) for 18k. Interest rate something like 5.4 for 72 months. Guess what I got?? Yup, the new one!! It will be so nice not to have to worry about breakdowns or new tires or repair bills for several years. But I still kept muttering on the way out the door "I didn't intend to buy a NEW tractor..." I have a big grin on my face just thinking about it!!

2. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo! Now you are all set. Glad you were able to get a new tractor. :)

3. There is nothing quite like having a "new" anything. There is a great satisfaction knowing that you now have a tractor that will probably outlast your needs. Masseys are good solid tractors with a good dealership in most parts of the country, not all.

I was surprised to learn of the block loss on the older tractor. That is very rare. If it was the 25 year old Deere that this happened to, you might want to advertise it over on Yesterdays Tractors. They have a specific ad section where your ad should catch the eye of someone looking for a tractor to work over. http://www.ytmag.com The classified ads are free if you are an individual and are not parting out the item for sale. Selling it as a unit should be fine however.

Again, congratulations on the new workhorse in the stable.

4. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

The block wasn't a Deere, it was a Waukesha on an Oliver. No warning! The dealership is going to take the old tractor for the down payment- they need the rear end out of it. I'm hoping this new one WILL last the rest of my farming life, that's why I took the plunge. And just the thought of a warranty on a tractor makes me feel all warm and tingley! :D

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

It's funny when you start crunching numbers on low interest how new can also be cheaper in the long run.

mikell

6. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

All depends if the equip is producing income.
    My new tractor does not so down time does not effect my income, just inconvenient.
    My new 27yr old 50hp JD tractor cost 6500.00 with FEL and JD bush hog & new PTO.
    It would cost around 20 - 27K for a similar new tractor. 13500.00 - 20500.00 is a lot of money to save. Even if I have the motor or trans rebuilt I still come out ahead. IMO.
    But if I was making a living with my tractor on a profitable farm I would buy new.

That’s not say anyone buying a new tractor is wrong, peace of mind can be worth a lot,... say around 250.00 a month. :D

7. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Zack, Zack! Any tips on good place to look for tractor like yours?? Your's would be perfect for us, haha. We are going to be needing one soon, we are moving out to Arizona after being burned out in the Ca wildfires. Starting over from scratch. TX. would not be too far to go in search of a good used tractor. The prices in CA are ridiculous !!

thanks, maddy

8. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

And there is the problem with my little scenario :D
    It took 4 months of searching to find one for that price. I think everyone in the county was ready to get a restraining order against me just so they wouldn’t have to hear me ask if they knew anyone selling a tractor anymore.

I found a guy getting ready to trade and sold it to me for what the dealer offered for the trade in.
    He gets cash and I get a cheap tractor. May be a great deal or a so so deal only time will tell.
    ford 3 and 4000s can be found for resonable prices rebuilt around 7-8K if you trust the shop. not a bad price if you get what you payed for.

I may could get a 2040 5500.00 very good shape
    2640 9k great tractor but to big for me
    They are in south mississippi and I would have to make some calls.they may be gone already.
    those are cash prices

9. Just recently on Semo. Net forum they had a John Deere for sale. I think it was a 4320. They were asking 7800.00. You might check the forum out and see if it is still listed. It was in Fair Dealing MO.

Http://www.semo.net when you get this site up just click on message forum on the left. I can't remember if it was listed under Farm Equipment or something else.

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Congrats Shakeytails! Strip off the modern powershift tranny and the electronic options and a basic tractor can still be had reasonably. Case and New Holland have a couple of reasonably priced lines too. Not sure if MF is still part of the Agco family or not. (too hard to keep up with all the mergers!) Should be easy to keep though!