I got a new goat today!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My farmstead is growing rather quickly. Started out in June with 14 chicks that were given to me. Now I have 88 chickens, 6 ducks, 1 bunny, and 3 goats!
    Today I brought home a really beautiful Nubian, about 5 or 6 months old. We named her "Esmerelda." I like fancy names for goats. Our 2 Alpine doelings are named "Serafina" and "Chrysanthemum."
    I am so in love with my goats! I can't wait to get more. My goat barn is almost finished, the pen will be done this week.
    And then---more goat shopping!!!
    Heehee!
    If I could figure out how to insert a picture into the post, I could show you how absolutely adorable they are!
    Blessings, Jillis

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Wow, sounds like you're growing fast. I'd love to see pics. I don't know how to insert them either.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Addictive, isn't it? :goodjob: I started out in May with two Nigerian Dwarf goats, then some chicks and ducklings, bought an Alpine doeling and a couple of geese, then a NubianX doeling. And this morning, there were two iddy biddy goats in the pen! Bronwyn, one of my Nigies, had twins, a boy and a girl. :angel:

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We started out with four mutt goats, and now we have 7 mutt goats but we have sold 4, 7 registerd pureblood Boer goats traditional, 1 red Boer buck pureblood, 2 94% Boer goats, 6 cows, and ALL 7 of our breedable females are pregnant and two are due at the end of this month( probly triplets for each). IN the words of Crashy "You know you need more".

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yep, it is VERY addictive! After reading the Breed of the Month on Sebastopol Geese I know I am getting some this Spring! The six ducks are settling in nicely...I am trading a pair of rare-breed chickens for a male Silver Marten Dwarf Netherland so I can breed him to our female when they are old enough...and in about 2 weeks I will be looking at two Nigerian Dwarf doelings that will still be on the bottle for another month or so...
    I get such a deep inner peace from feeding, caring for, looking at, loving on and playing with my animals! I am starting to like the smells of the barnyard (except for very soggy chickenyard---that sends me for the bleach solution and the spray bottle!). I am finally doing the thing I was meant to do my whole life and I thank God for it every day!
    The goats are in their pen and barn now and they like it very much! My new Nubian is VERY LOUD! She sounds outraged most of the time. Very attention getting. They have a large empty electrical-wire spool that we put in there for them and there was already a very large boulder in the pen area, so they are having fun jumping and climbing.
    The Nubian is a people-loving goat. I tried to get pictures but she kept following me too closely---I had to get my son in the pen to distract her to get some decent pix. It is hard to leave the pen because she is good at sneaking out with me. The little weasels stampede me if I go near the gate...
    I love them so much it makes me nervous! What if I make a mistake in my inexperience and something bad happens to one of them?
    I am constantly reading and researching all aspects of animal care so I won't hurt them inadvertantly! That's one reason I am sooo glad I found this forum!
    Blessings, Jillis

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I totally agree Jillis, it is so peaceful to spend time with them, an I REALLY like the smell of the goats except the males, just because they are goats. Milking though is by far one of the most peaful things because it gives you a little one on one time with the goat you are milking, and my dogs love it! Well that's it for now, Bye.