I got a Mouse in the house! and a dozen traps and he is still on the loose!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I got like six traps in my living room with fresh cheese, this mouse is still loose, why hasn't the mouse took the bait?

How do I get this bugger?

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Use peanut butter for bait and place the traps out of sight near walls or inside cabinets near partitions

3. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I've occasionally used the sticky traps for mice that manage to evade snap traps. Had a mouse that ran over my feet while I was sitting in the bathroom two nights in a row. It bypassed two snap traps set right in the pathway it used. Third night I got it with a sticky trap. Good luck with your hunt.

4. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Get one of those live 4-legged traps!

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Want to borrow a corgi? :D (see, if you were in SW IL, I'd even offer to BRING the little creep to you. He's driving me NUTS.)

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you have seen one chances are that you have many more. I always use peanut butter and I also use Snap-E-Traps. Excellent traps. Much better than the old fashioned ones.

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Either peanut butter or a whole pecan in the trap should do it. Mice that haven't watched cartoons don't know they are supposed to eat cheese. :haha:

8. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Okay, but just what do you do with it once it's stuck to the sticky trap? :eek:

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Drown it in a bucket, if you want to be humane.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Sticky traps just leave you with a stuck mouse or worse--they try to pull their legs off sometimes. Snap traps are quick and effective.

Place traps facing walls behind something, put them in an area you have seen the poop. Secure all other food sources. Place it on a block of wood so they have to reach up and pull down on the trigger mechanism. And you probably have more than one. Put no more than two in a room so that you can see if they are traveling.

11. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

AGGH! YOU HUMANS ARE SO INHUMANE!!!

12. someday

someday Member

best mouse trap i'v used is a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water with a pop can (w/ pbutter on it) threaded on a wire. place the bucket where a mouse can get on the wire. when the mouse hops on the can it spins and he drowns. best part is the trap is always set and you can pour the water out easily. I caugh 19 mice in a shed in one week with this.

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Very cool. But where does the wire go? Does the moue climb up the wire or down the wire? I assume the can is over the bucket, but how does the mouse get to the wire?

14. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

OK, I am trying to figure out the 5 gallon mouse trap - which I would love to set up in our shed, but I can't visualize it. I have billions of buckets, but how do you set up the pop can? I just have not gotten it. Guess I am more a picture person.

15. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Put a piece of chocolate in the peanut butter - chocolate chip.

16. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I think you run the wire longways through the can - from top to bottom, and then turn it sideways when it's fastened to the bucket, so that it rolls like a barrel when the mouse gets on it and it drops them in the water. They can't balance on it when it spins like that (I'm guessing here - haven't seen one but this idea makes sense to me)

I have one in the house that so far has evaded all snap and sticky traps I've set - I think I have six set out total. He was going for the boxed bunny treats I had in a basket at one time - twice in one night I set the trap ON TOP OF the box he was after, and twice he managed to get the box out from under the snap trap without setting it off. If I could catch him I might make a fortune with him, 'cause that's one smart rodent.

I'm going to try this next.... they do it to themselves in the barn at times, drowning them selves in the horses water buckets! Hehehe <insert evil laugh here>!

Pam :cool: <---- can't wait to set this up....

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I use those small plastic traps that look like pac man. They work in deadly fashion.They have a serated jaw with a stong spring that hangs on the the mouse like a vice grip once the hair trigger goes off. I bait it with a tiny amount of peanut butter or cream cheese.

18. jim63129

jim63129 Member

I use sunflower seeds... works for me... Jim

19. jim63129

jim63129 Member

I use sunflower seeds with great success...

Happy trapping, Jim

20. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Peanut butter with chocolate....or a big wooden mallet if it is running around.LOL Got one once doing that...