I found a huge Lavender treasure in the road!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Stickywitch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

I'm soooo lucky!
    I live in the country. It was left in the middle of a rural road along with another huge pot of a rosemary plant...
    Finders keepers, right?

Well, I took them home and placed the large rosemary plant in my back walk-way next to all my other herbs. It's not heated but they are indoors and seem to be doing well. I'm not quite sure what to do with this huge pot of lavender. It has some flowering stems still on it. I put it by my front door. Any suggestions?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Get them both in the ground before winter. The lavender likes it hot and sunny. Well drained is best. If you plant it along a walkway then you will smell it every time you brush past it. Plant pink flowering plants near it for a nice color combo. Like coral bells or jupiters beard.
    The rosemary isn't real showy but easy to grow in average soil. Neither plant likes to be pampered or fertilized much.

3. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

We had lavender at this house when we moved in. I don’t know the variety we had but it migrated just like mint or garlic chives, so you can imagine the trouble we had. After about ten to eleven years of age, the plant gets really leggy and quite woody and it is quite unsightly. But on the good side, I did hear of a woman who harvested it in that condition and sold it as kindling. She claimed it to be quite effective and of course I would think that the aroma would travel throughout the house while it was burning.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I only have one lavender plant, don't know what kind it is....but, it came with the instructions to cut it back to the ground every few years. I guess that's what keeps it from getting woody and spindly. Didn't spread much either...we have more "weed" problems with our lilacs!