I finally tasted goat meat and......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Jul 10, 2005.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

well, it tasted 'goaty'. It was shredded BBQ goat and while it was a little hard to taste through all the BBQ sauce, I did taste the goat taste, kinda strong and not real pleasant. They said it was Boer meat. As some of you know I'm researching info to consider starting a small herd and one thing I wanted to do was try the meat to see if I wanted to raise them for our own meat. I'm starting to think not but to be fair, should goat meat taste 'goaty'??? I was so disappointed. :(

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've eaten lots of goats and never had any goaty taste. I usually just grind the whole thing, so it's awfully lean. I have to add oil to fry it.

One thing to remember is that proper processing is very important, ie., no hair on the meat.

3. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

I would dare say that the average person would not be able to differentiate between chevon and beef except for the marbleing. Chevon has a more 'toothy" feel but no difference in taste.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I think it could depend not only in the cleanliness of the processing itself, but as to the age of the goat that was butchered and whether or not it was a buck or a wether. If you butcher a buck that has not been cut (castrated) that is a year and a half old it is going to taste bucky. Most people butcher wethers that are less than a year old.

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Since I can't edit my post above because (my IP address has been banned???) I was going to edit it to say that there is also a different taste in lamb meat and mutton. The lamb meat (to me) tastes better if you butcher the lamb before 9 months old or before it loses its milk teeth. If you wait until they are quite a bit older the meat has a stronger flavor.

6. poppy

poppy Guest

Lots of folks like it, but I'm not one of them. It tastes more like deer to me and I don't care for it either. Around here, both deer and goats eat a lot of grain, and I think it gives them an odd flavor. They tell me deer from out west that only eat what they browse taste much better.

7. Antoinette

Antoinette Active Member

As said above, lots of things influence the meat's taste, the goats age, sex and what it eats. I prefer goat meat that is less than a year old, and from a doe or wether...also I like mine that has been eating mostly pasture or trees and such. Goat Curry is my favorite.

8. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have only had goat a few times. Once was a resturant ( Caribian jerk place) and the second was one of our butchered wethers. Both times I could not tell what it was. In the resturant I was swearing up and down it was not goat. I thought they switched on me. I love leg of lamb, taste and smell, but ground lamb cooking will run me out of the room. I had been told goat was similar. I was expecting something very strong. To me it was just meat w/ no funky musky/gamy taste.
    Please try goat one more time. Then if you still don't like it don't raise it. Try a goat that is around 50 lbs. Goat will taste stronger the older it is. We also make sure we band early. Some like the strong taste of more mature uncut males. Try it again and tell us what you think. Katharine

9. KimM

Thank you for all the replies!

okiemom,
    I will for sure give it another try. I have no idea how big or old or what sex the goat was that they used but it was strong. I would raise some goats even if I didn't eat them because our property needs much clearing of brush, and I just like 'em!

Antoinette,
    I would really like to have that Curry recipe to try!

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, if you don't like the taste, having your own goats for meat isn't going to work for you. I've not had it taste goaty before, but I haven't eaten it extensively. That said, how it was killed and butchered makes a tremendous difference. I've sure learned that with deer.

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We eat goat more so than chicken or beef, usually we dip it in egg and then flour, before dropping it in hot oil to sear. After searing we add water to cover and slow cook until fork cuttable. You cannot exspect BBQ covered meat to give you a true taste, try it my way with maybe rice or noodles with gravy.

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Along with age and other factors, one big one I have tasted is getting the meat off the bone quickly. Makes a difference. There is not a wild taste then. Easy enough for everyone to try themselves to see what a difference it is.
    I have cooked it reynolds oven bags with brisket seasoning. My cuz cooked it with brisket seasoning in the crock pot. It was great.

13. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Well, even if you don't like the taste of goat meat you an still raise meat goats. I like it but I also can get a really good price on our wethers from the hispanic, korean, and russian communities in our area. They like to buy them weaned and raise them up to 8 or 9 months. Maybe raising boer/dairy crosses would be an option for you so you have dairy does for milk and wethers and crosses for meat to sell?

14. KimM

You are really making me hungry!!!!

15. KimM

That is my main plan, just hoping I will like the meat and raise some for our own use. Really I can't wait to try it again.....especially after moopups post!