I finally got my set up started

Discussion in 'Hydroponics / Aquaponics' started by RonTgottagoat, Jul 7, 2017.

1. RonTgottagoat

RonTgottagoat Well-Known Member

I just started a small system up using an ibc container, a 600 gal/hour pump that I split 1/2 to the tank and the other through a hose that is running through some pvc with holes and pea gravel and a few seed starter cups w gravel I planted a few yellow squash seeds in the cups because I had em from my regular garden. Fingers crossed it works out ok. I plan on making a couple grow beds and have a tower pvc planter drain into each. Maybe with lettuces once it's cooler here. For fish I have some fingerling catfish (25). I wanted to start slow so I have more room for error while figuring this out. I've had some success with a passive system without a pump that did good with lettuces and mint etc but have wanted to run a pump type system for a while now

stanb999 likes this.
  2. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

congrats and good luck. Post some pictures of your setup when you get a chance =)

stanb999 likes this.

3. Meinecke

Meinecke Well-Known Member

Hello...
    Congrats...i am kind of jealous of your climate zone...
    Good luck with it and if you need filter tipps...let me know

4. RonTgottagoat

IMG_0095.JPG Thanks. I'm going to try and add a picture

5. RonTgottagoat

Sorry it took so long ,to get a picture and to post So far things are going ok. I relearned a lesson about cycling a fish tank. But I seemed to have gotten the wheels back on so ,to speak. I started with a IBC cutting access points in front and rear. I put a 600 gal per hour pump with a sponge type prefilter. It works good and is easily rinsed(usually in the bed that has access to water it's the one with the pvc return grow pipe. I set the siphon so it has about 5" of water. In here I have parrots feather and an elephant ear. I had water lettuce but it fizzled out. Good news parrots feather is a good water scrubber. The other small grow bed is set up with about 2" of water and filled with gravel and some everbearing strawberries in it. No berries yet but plants are looking pretty good. This drains into an old sponge prefilter from a pond I had. It drains back in to the fish tank. This is just used to give a lil extra bacteria area for cleaning. The water.

6. RonTgottagoat

So that's all I have for grow bed for now. This is all a work in progress and just a starting point. So on to the fish in the ibc container. I started with 25 fingerling catfish 4-6 inch. Unfortunately I did not think about the tank and biological filter needing to cycle. Duh!!! So of my original 25 catfish I have 4-5 as far as I can tell. Bummed but pressing on I added some minnows from feed store and then acquired a few small koi to keep the biological load going. So far everything is doing good. Cycle is almost finished as near as I can tell from my water tests. Nitrates are slowlY building and those are the last to show in the ammonia nitrite nitrate series. So although not exactly as I invisioned it it's going. Koi are cool to look at and eventually I'll sell m off after they grow for a while. Lol who am I kidding I'll probably do another big pond for em. And my catfish that are left are growing :)

7. RonTgottagoat

I was also thinking the koi will be good in the system for when I harvest catfish. And I think the fish truck comes through in September.so I'll buy another round of catfish

8. RonTgottagoat

Oh and I guess as a side effect of the biological filter getting established is my water really cleared up it was kinda green the first couple weeks. When I was scooping dead fish. Also I was able the channel some air deep down in the tank using a perforated pvc pipe and slightly loosening the clamp that feeds into it sucking in a lil air and bubbling through water column. Also the long pvc, channels the water flow to the bottom cycling it back up.

9. Meinecke

Meinecke Well-Known Member

Hi there...pic looks good...enjoy...i just think it is a little bit on the low side of growbed/biological filter...
    But when u keep an eye on amonia and nitrits and they are fine...go for it...

10. RonTgottagoat

Thanks. I am going to expand further. I started with bus tubs to figure siphon flow rates etc. I plan on expanding soon just trying to figure my next step. I was toying with pic towers but am limited by the head capacity of my current pump. I'd like to make two 4 by 4 grow beds but I have some logistics to work out. If you have any pics you could share Mein I'd love some inspiration. I've got a few ideas on better grow beds but they are kind of swirling in my head. So any and all practacle input would be welcomed