Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and searching I finally bought a babylock ellegante sew/emb machine on ebay. I am so happy with it, it looks just like a new machine not a scratch on it. Buying this online also showed me how "sheltered" I am, which is another story in itself. It sews wonderful but I have never machine embroidered before so wondering a couple of things.
1. Do you use emb thread for the bobbin or is it "special" bobbin thread? Notice thread at walmart for the "bobbin" so this confused me.
2. Is there a brand that is better? Are there some you would stay away from?
3. Do you have to use special embroidery needles? I have "lots" of schmetz needles in different sizes?
Is there anything that I should be really careful with? I always get nervous when try something new so would appreciate any wisdom out there that would prevent a disaster.:bow:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I use bobbin thread, it's a thinner white (usually) thread. I've bought bobbins with the thread on them from my sewing/vac store that I bought the machine from.
I've bought bobbin thread from an online place that was less expensive.

And I use embroidery thread and usually embroider sewing machine needle on my Janome. Embroidery thread is a bit thicker than just sewing thread, but you could try it with sewing thread - it just won't fill in as fully.

CJ should be along and give more tips. she does a lot more than I do.

also, have a stabelizer, paper, or pellon interfacing under your sewing or you may get the fabric down in the throat plate needle hole.

Angie

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
by the way - I'm in a hurry to go get ready and leave for work but..

CONGRATULATIONS on your ebay win!

may you have lots of hours of fun with it.

Angie

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I have this same machine. Angie covered your questions but I would be happy to try to answer any thing I can.

I buy the NEB bobbins. They are cheaper than winding my own and so convenient. I buy them by the gross (144) and they are around a quarter each in white. To use these w/ the Elegante you have to use the bobbin insert.

Using the appropriate needle can really make a difference in how your work looks.

You will have a blast with it.

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did buy 1 spool maroon embroidery thread and small pkg of self adhesive tear away stablizer just to make sure it works ok. I did read in the book about the bobbin insert with prewound bobbins. I am going into unknown territory for me (embroidery) but I am so excited to get to play with today. My machine was so old and WELL used that when I sewed on this one the first time it was beyond awesome. I will check into the NEB bobbins this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Congratulations on your new machine, embroidery is SO much fun!

I use this thread for my bobbin when doing embroidery, it's a big cone, economical (lasts a long time!) and works very well.

I use Isacord thread for embroidery. In my opinion nothing else compares, this stuff never shreds or breaks. I buy it here, cheapest place I know of.

90% of my embroidery is done with Schmetz embroidery size 90/14, and I buy those in bulk as well.

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the embroidery last night and made a butterfly. This is so much fun and I can't wait to get more thread colors. CJ, Thanks for the links for the different threads and needles, looks like I will be stocking up in the future. I absolutely love this machine, I am already planning next years Christmas gifts to give. Thanks for all the help. Wish I knew how to post pictures-oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts