I feel the earth move......

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Ohio, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Well, actually I didn't but I wish I could have seen this. I was walking our property yestereday (DW was fishing as usual <G>). When I headed down towards her usual fishing spot I was amazed. Part of the hillside had sunk in. A stretch about 40 feet wide (Across the face of the hill) and maybe 10 feet wide looked like it had slid down (At first). It actually looks more like it dropped about a foot and a half down. It's kind of interesting. Doesn't look like a landslide or mudslide. Deep cracks maybe a foot or more deep in the soil.

No known mines in the area and once you get a few feet down you are likely to hit rock in that area. It does remind me of the power of nature.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Mike

2. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Mike,
    Do you have sinkholes in your area? Might be the start of one.

Might be a fracture or fracture trace of the bedrock. Do you know if you're bedrock is limestone or dolomite? If so, ground water can dissolve it (bedrock) away. We have that type of bedrock here (I think it's called karst), and we have a lot of sinkholes and caves.

3. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Mike,

I live on the side of a mountain. There is one other property owner above me so we share road repairs. Actually the neighbor is absentee which makes me smile a lot.

At any rate, at one point on the access road there is a creek that crosses and a little uphill from that is a small spring. The problem was every time the neighbor would pay the local catskinner to fix the road this was soon followed by heavy rain and another washout. Not long after one such event I walked uphill to near where that spring was. Since I was out on the point I could not really clearly see what was happening.

But my bride was standing elsewhere and watching me and the land I was standing on flow downhill at a (fortunately) slow velocity. After her excitement penetrated my thick skull I was able to see just what she was yelling about and made a very quick exit because downhill meant about 300 vertical feet before the next sorta level place.

We were gone the rest of that winter and when we got home that place had indeed completely "flowed" away down hill and there was nothing but a huge hole where I had been standing.

Another time I was with friends during a winter high water period when we discovered a neighbors house was in danger of being eaten by the river. We were able to contact the owner who was 100 miles away and who asked us to save what we could. We got his three tractors started and moved to safety and pulled the major stuff out of his house before the river finally ate the house.

My friend did not want me to walk anywhere near the riverbank at this time and later when the river had subsided I went back there and saw a near vertical cutbank maybe 30 feet high where that house had once stood. I have kept my distance even better in subsequent events.

Yeah! Can get downright scary at times.

bearkiller

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I'd believe Tooltime is correct. There's a lot of 'sinkholes' in Arizona around Phoenix. It's due to pumping too much water from the underground reservoirs, then the earth caves in. Your sinkholes may be from something else - check with the county.