I feel so wasteful...

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by homebirtha, Dec 14, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Now that the pigs are gone, I feel like I'm throwing away so much food. I keep going to put stuff in the pig bucket then realize I have to put it in the compost bin or pitch it. :-( I can't wait for spring to get some more. :1pig:

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Compost pile will love it! I felt bad giving them the leftovers (green stuff), then realized, they were composting it for me.

We go to the recycling center once a month (summer when we don't have pigs and fall, winter and spring when we do), and take 5 50 pound feed bags of trash. What the compost pile doesn't eat, the birds and dogs do during the summer (when we don't have them)

Pat

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Do you keep hens and dogs. If so, cook it up and mix it in with the chook mash and/or feed it to the dogs.

I used to catch my dogs eating with the pigs so I decided that since they liked the cooked pig food so much, they could have it for their own dinner. Fell in there because they loved it, and not only that, they looked the best dogs in the neighbourhood. Glossy coats and good condition.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I can relate Homebirtha! Here in AZ we can keep pigs year 'round - but inbetween times all of us here feel wasteful too! Even DH - who didn't start out an animal person, kept saying, 'we've GOT to get another pig!'

Niki

5. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Just got pigs yesterday! We keep chickens though and give them all of our table scraps, now we will have to decide who gets what!

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

You know I discovered by accident a perfect timing deal. So our pigs were done Dec.2....and we are feeding the pig heads and all table scraps to our hens which is a much needed boost in their diet since most of the free range of warmer weather is gone.....homebirtha you need some hens to help you compost those scraps! Reduce, reuse, recycle....fill the freezer....

7. homebirtha

We do have hens and they do get some of the scraps, but you're right. I had gotten out of the habit of giving much to them and it was mostly going to the pigs. I should save more for them and less for the compost, especially this time of year.

But I don't give the chickens meat at this point, because we sell our eggs as free from animal byproducts. So I wouldn't feel right giving them any meat. We're looking at making some changes there though, to get away from using soy, so that might change in the future.

8. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

homebirtha --

are your chickens not eating bugs... - and frogs.. and whatever else they can catch?? - -heck - mine even eat the leftover minnows - now that we are back into icefishing season.. -
    or are you just considering animal by-products to be meat that you give them - rather than what they catch on there own???

i am only curious - -

janis

9. homebirtha

I consider meat by-products mostly to be the stuff added to commercial feed. But just to be on the safe side, in consideration of honesty in advertising, I don't like to give them any meat from our table. i.e. No stuff they wouldn't get in nature by scavaging, etc. But you're right. There probably isn't a big different between the eating a frog and eating our leftover cooked chicken. If the eggs were only for us, I wouldn't think twice about it.

10. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Dump the foodstuff in a big pile in your pig pen. When you toss a couple new pigs in next spring, they will make quick work of the pile. Even if it rots, the rotten food will attract worms like crazy, which the pigs will then root out an eat.

Pete