I feel like I'm on little house of the parie

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by campergirl, Nov 3, 2004.

1. campergirl

campergirl Member

We just bought 10 acres in eastern wa. It's dry, flat, and the only structure on it is my rv trailer. But, I love it out there. It's so quiet, the only noise I hear are my ears ringing :) Our first try at our well was a flop, and will be trying another spot shortly. It is open space unused pasture land. There are no trees, and that is my first priority when and if I ever get water. The irrigation canal runs on three sides of the property, and its so hard to see all that water just flow by.
    I don't want to spend the 10,000 for irrigation rights, I will not be a real farmer growing mass products. We meet with the well guy in a couple weeks to plan the site for the second drilling.. wish us luck...

I never knew the sky at night had so many stars in it. We live in Seattle for now and won't be able to live out there for a few more years. When ever we can, we go to the lot and just mellow out, let the dogs run, and dream of what our place will look like in the future.

2. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

3. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

yeah, I grew up in the country away from the city lights - and in a city you just can't really see the beauty of the sky at night. I remember laying on the ground with my friends staring at the sky at night as a child.

4. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We are doing the same thing as you. Isn't it great to go to the property and look at the stars and dream. :)

5. txmilkm

txmilkm Member

Our son had the same complaint about not being able to see the sky at night when he went off to trade school in Houston. Two weeks later, he came home and told me that "now he could see a few stars!" Seems as how he took his sling shot and disabled a few of the lights on the side of the nearby apartment buildings. :-s

I am not sure I recommend this act, but it did make my country boy son able to handle the big city a little better.