Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the oddest thing. We moved to our little farm in mid July or so...that was exciting and happy even though we all knew it would be a bunch of work.

Then we sold our city house in less than 3 days...another cheerful high.

Then we began the remodeling required to make this new place work for us...not so high now, just tired LOL

Then we found out it will cost 10K dollars to bring 400 amps to the place...really droopy feeling here

Then we found out that the seller and her real estate agent lied to us about the well (it has run dry in the past) and it may need deepening etc which could cost 20K....I cried, then I got mad!

Of course while all this "other" stuff was going on the smallest dog killed all the chicks I got from McMurrays and about a third of the guinea chicks as well. Feels like I am in a position of wondering what to do with dog.

Then we got the goat, Buttons and she is sweet so we are all happy and excited again. I managed not to kill the goat so after a month we got three more....not so exciting this time as we had a bunch of fence to secure etc.

Then I broke my new tractor mower...looks like DB was able to get it straightened out thankfully...but now I am behind in the mowing.

The bigger rototiller came and I was really excited that I would get to finish my garden that killed the little tiller.

The next morning I bent over to retrieve my keys and put my back out...so now I am kind of down in the dumps and feel really pressured to get a ton of stuff done by winter.

I was going to ask if homesteading is always like this and then I remembered that it is.....so I must buck up, eat chocolate, and get busy again. Just needed to feel sorry for myself for a sec....better now!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
This is a good place to have a 'whine-off'. It's tough sometimes. I had my knee replaced 3 weeks ago. I've been unable to get out and 'do' for over a year. I'm recovering well - so I'd best not complain, but I am really, really chomping at the bit to get some things done before winter comes. And I'm not trying to start a place, but I am feeling your frustrations. Hang in there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is the oddest thing. We moved to our little farm in mid July or so...that was exciting and happy even though we all knew it would be a bunch of work.

Then we began the remodeling required to make this new place work for us...not so high now, just tired LOL

Then we found out it will cost 10K dollars to bring 400 amps to the place...really droopy feeling here

Then we found out that the seller and her real estate agent lied to us about the well (it has run dry in the past) and it may need deepening etc which could cost 20K....I cried, then I got mad!

Of course while all this "other" stuff was going on the smallest dog killed all the chicks I got from McMurrays and about a third of the guinea chicks as well. Feels like I am in a position of wondering what to do with dog.

Then we got the goat, Buttons and she is sweet so we are all happy and excited again. I managed not to kill the goat so after a month we got three more....not so exciting this time as we had a bunch of fence to secure etc.

Then I broke my new tractor mower...looks like DB was able to get it straightened out thankfully...but now I am behind in the mowing.

The bigger rototiller came and I was really excited that I would get to finish my garden that killed the little tiller.

The next morning I bent over to retrieve my keys and put my back out...so now I am kind of down in the dumps and feel really pressured to get a ton of stuff done by winter.

I was going to ask if homesteading is always like this and then I remembered that it is.....so I must buck up, eat chocolate, and get busy again. Just needed to feel sorry for myself for a sec....better now!
You are doing fine, could be worse! :)

Many times I have wondered whether I am better off going back to the city job that paid 3-4 times more per hour than what I saved by doing all the manual labor myself.

If you could be making $50-60/hour sitting in a cushy office, being able to buy yourself everything you want, be a gentleman who hires others to break their backs - why not?

Here is the same question above, described in my brain: I hate my mindless, fake job, I hate the punishing commute, I hate A/C, the concrete, the asphalt, all the stupid people running on top of each other in the city, no money can pay me to be miserable...

Moral of the story? You can almost never have your pie and eat it too ;). You also can't go against your true nature. You can try to quiet it or escape it but it will always rear its head.

Take a long time to make a decision, investigate all aspects and repercussions but once you arrive at a decision, stick to it and enjoy it. After all, it was YOUR decision! :)

Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have moved many times, and I have found that it takes a while to 'find your place' in the vibes of a new place.

That may sound strange, but to me it does happen. Just feeling the wind, weather, slant of the sunlight, the ground under your feet; it's a settling in thing.

There will always be work to be done, it never goes away, never completely finished, but it can be manageable.

Take a cup of coffee outside some early morning and feel the strength and the welcome of the earth. Enjoy.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
In this state one has recourse if a seller doesn't disclose a well problem like that sis. Worth checking into I think.
Yuppers! Please do check. - Dunno if the well is on the Disclosure Form, but please read it and see if the seller lied. You may have recourse against the seller and the agent. You do have recourse in AZ. Check with the State R.E. Board and if you get an atty., make sure he's a Real Estate Atty!

(((huggs))) about your chicks. I think it's worse when they're little.

As for the rest - why, you're just gettin' the kinks out!

Reactions: bryant and scooter

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
It sounds like you have just completed "homesteading 101".In homesteading 201 you will discover the ability to handle multiple strikes by Murphy all at one time.In 301 you get to deal with 3 problems at the same time for months at a time.
IT JUST KEEPS GITT'n GOODER!Welcome to homesteading!!

Wade

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Get a lawyer. Show him all of your papers from the purchase. You may have to rehome the dog if you want chickens. You may be able to train him to leave the chickens alone, but you will have to have a more secure setting for the chicks.

Reactions: scooter

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I know , the deal with the little dog sucks, I am considering rehoming her but it will break DD heart. On the other hand it has been an expensive ride with this little girl.

My realtor says I do have some recourse with the well issue. I have written a letter of complaint to the Arizona Board of Realtors....they do seem a bit defensive, which I found a bit odd. Of course they protect realtors I expect since they are realtors.

I will contact an attorney of the real estate variety and get a free consult.

I mowed for an hour with the walking mower this morning and even though it is barely 80 out I had to come in and cool off and visit with you all! Next year at this time we will all feel like we have lived here for ever...in the mean time where did I hide the salt, pickle relish, new door knobs and my blue work shirt?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Just a curiosity question, why 400 amps? It takes a whole lot of appliances and heating elements running at the same time to even strain 200 amps.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Just a curiosity question, why 400 amps? It takes a whole lot of appliances and heating elements running at the same time to even strain 200 amps.
I had the same question. We have a 200 amp system for our house and barn, with a heat pump and AC, and it seems to run fine.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oh man do I know the feeling of 2 steps forward and 3 back! I feel for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
indeed, the old one step forward, three steps back. We take care of the dog/chicken thing by tying the dead chicken to the neck of the offending dog (obviously this also relegates the offender to being outside all the time). Make them wear it till the thing falls off, most it takes is two times and the dog learns to leave the chickens alone. Wecome to the wonderful world of Homesteading, you are getting that initiation phase out of the way and then it is just one wonderful, huge adventure.

We go to bed every night, exhausted, and wake up to new aches and pains that go away a short while after we are out and going at it again the next day. Some times we just want to plop down and cry but, that just makes more urgent work, so we stop, have a nice primal scream then put the gloves back on and get with the program.

When you need to vent a little, the trees are always ready to listen, the goats will BAHHhhhhhhhhhh with you, and there is always opportunity to plop in the dirt and take in mother earth's healing power.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Hang in there Sisterpine! When we bought our place 29 years ago it was one disaster after another! We had no where to go so dug our heels in and faced what ever nature and people threw at us. Just remember ; " What doesn't break you will make you stronger!" So my Daddy always said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts