I dream of Freedom!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mountmorris, Jan 29, 2005.

1. mountmorris

mountmorris New Member

I dream of owning land and living like we should on this earth... Am I alone, I do not know what direction to take at this point. I can only think of one thing, Freedom! The thought of looking out across my land and knowing it will always be in my family haunts my every thought! If I could just figure out how to make the dream come true and give the honor of this type of life back to my family... My family has been in America since 1642 and I must find away to bring us back on track and back to a godly way of life. Does anyone else have or had feelings like this? Can anyone lend direction, on breaking free!

Thank you.

Jonathan

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Welcome Jonathan -
    Read these forums, check the archives and you will find lots of people that are on land, wishing to be on land, planning to get on land, making the best of things until they figure out how to get on land.

Where are you wanting to get this land (what state or type of countryside?), and what kinds of work are you employeed in to get the money to get the land? And do you have plans, implementing plans or just wishing and looking for advice?

There are lots of knowledgeable people here that should be of some help to you and your dreams if you just listen (read) and ask questions.

Good luck on your quest.
    Angie

3. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

You are definatly NOT alone. It is verry much my passion as well. Your words mirror mine exactly! Welcome to the forum.
    Mrs C.

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Land ownership is a snap; just bring gobs of cash and a lawyer with you and play the real estate game.

But remember, it isn't really yours when it can be taken without compensation by uncle sugar, or one of his lackies, for failure to pay taxes, or using the land in a way that uncle doesn't approve of.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Hun. I read your post and thought "what a burden on your children." Been there, done this, am sitting on the family farm surrounded by 200 (give or take) years of accumulated family stuff. I am the keeper of the family farm, the archives, the stuff which can't be thrown away or sold because it belongs to the sacred family. Every modification I make to this farm sends someone up in arms because it wasn't that way when they were children...

YOUR dream, YOUR ambition. Please do not try and hand it down to your children. You will stifle their lives and if they have any sense at all they'll dump your dream for their own as quickly as they can.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hi, Johnathan.

Well, it mostly seems to require baby steps. And an income, though some of the folks here can sell enough produce/goats/worms or whatever to pay for taxes and whatever they cnnot raise.

Where do you live, in a big megalopolis like California or the East coast? Or, do you live where there is farmland between cities? Are you wanting to live the life of a hermit, or just to have a place to call your own where you can do what you love?

For us, since my DH does NOT share my goals, we live outside a city where my husband can work. I think he would turn grey with worry if he didn't have a regular paycheck, so he works in town while I work on our few acres. That suits us, he doesn't care to farm.

Can you tell us what would be your ideal?

7. Terri

Morrison, my parents thinned things out by giving some of the heirlooms to their middle-aged kids. Why should one couple have to be the caretakers of ALL of it?

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I don't know what you are "Breaking free" from. In the US, one is free to buy, sell or occupy nearly any place, provided they have the financial wherewithal to do so.

There are 2 types of freedom. Political freedom and economic freedom. Political freedom means little without economic freedom.

If you are hoping to "live off the land", you will likely be highly disappointed. Land prices have long since escalated past the point where it is economically feasible to even think about being "self sufficient" from the land.

Throw in such items as property taxes, astronomical health insurance premiums, $2/gallon gasoline, etc, and you'll quickly realize the concept of "living off the land" is far better left in the unreality of Western movies.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

dont get to attached to your "purchase"...
    after all in america you dont technicly own the land you own excusive occupancy rights, so long as you pay the taxes and agree to whatever dumb*ss thing the municipality dreams up.
    and like was said, dont do it for your kids do it foryou, your kids will get greedy and chop[ it al up for a housing plan.

10. Terri

While total freedom is a myth, living on your own place in the country sure beats having the "lawn police" looking over your fence, or the neighbors banging on the wall! (He was gratefull we told HIM about the noise his bed was making, as his wife was out of town. And, please do NOT tell his wife that he was entertaining? :rolleyes: ) Not to mention the subdivision regulations saying that a person cannot own a hose or park in their driveway.

The freedom I now enjoy is not PERFECT freedom, but it is a vast improvement! Even my city boy DH has no desire to live in the city again!

PErfect freedom does not exist anywhere on this world, but in America a person in the country can come closer than just about anywhere in this world.

11. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

Terri, you're so right. Much of the freedom, I think, has to do with attitude. It certainly helps to be in the country, or as we call it in Alaska, the "Bush".
    With the price of land, taxes, high prices for everything, it is very hard to "live off the land". But many of the difficulties most folks encounter in doing that stems from their desire for the same comforts and standards they're used to in the city.
    It requires different preparation to live in different places with a different lifestyle. Being debt-free is a major biggie. We know some folks who were very affluent when they "got away from it all". Now they're able to live as they please, where they please. Most folks are not that fortunate. Most of us have to work like the dickens to "live off the land", and earn enough money to pay the taxes and buy the few things we cannot hunt, grow, or forage. It never ends, and we will not be able to "retire" at 65 and prop up our feet on the front porch and look over our accomplishments. But we do get to do that at the end of each day, though (so to speak).
    We do hope our children will grow up with our values, but maybe they won't. We're doing what we're doing because we believe it's best for us and them. If they end up with sour attitudes after we're dead and gone ...... well..... guess that's something they'll have to deal with the rest of their lives. I pray we raise them not to be that way, though. I just think it's important to do what you believe in your heart is right.

Best wishes
    Alaska HOMESTEADING Journal
    Homesteading

12. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Being tied to land eliminates freedom. Living like we should on earth would consist of no land ownership like the Indians. As John Lennon said in Imagine, "Imagine no possessions".

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Well.. it would have been helpful if I wasn't, as my father puts it, the dead end of an evolutionary branch. My mother had two children, one isn't well enough to be trusted with anything (although I have given him as many of the family things as he's asked for or I thought he might want, he's lost them all or pawned them).. and me. I can't have children.

On the plus side, I can't visit this upon my offspring either.

Don't get me wrong... there is something comforting about living in your great great great grandmother's house, amid the posessions, some tasteful most not, of previous generations. The only furnishings I've ever acquired on my own were a couch, a chair, a rocker from a yard sale, and a mattress. Everything else, from lamps to rockers to desks... cups, plates, pots, pans, silverware, curtains, rugs... all of it, comes from someone before me.

Or, as I've said to people who admire the house, I didn't decorate it. I unpacked.

Going to be a heck of an auction when I drop dead!

14. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I'd be really careful about building dreams on other people. If you know what you want and you do what it takes to live the life you want, great... but as soon as you expect other people (family, kids, whatever) to live your dream, you're asking for trouble. YOUR dream may be freedom, but wouldn't you deny exactly that to those whose participation in your dream is part of your plan?

Here's another bit of wisdom on the subject: I grew up in a small farming community in a very old-fashioned and rural area in Germany. People stayed where they were born, so to speak, and carrying on the family business or family farm was expected, usually of the oldest son. I can't tell you how often I heard about a father's anger and heartache because the son decided that he didn't want to be a butcher or a baker, lamenting the 200 years of family business going down the drain because of the son's selfishness, or the anger of the rebellious son who saw his dreams of running a city restaurant or - God forbid - getting into the music business crushed by the relentless authority of his father.
    It really doesn't matter where you stand on the issue... what matters is that throughout history, this attitude of demanding that your kids live your life has brought one heck of a lot of trouble to both parents and sons/daughters.

I think the wise thing to do is to live your own life to the fullest and to help those who depend on you (kids) to build on their own, individual potential.

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Breaking free? Owning land? Well, here's how I did it.

Work hard. Live simply. Stay out of debt. Move to an area where the land is relatively cheap. Work 2, 3 or even 4 jobs for awhile. Buy an older mobile home, fix it up a bit, live in it cheaply for a few years while saving money and buying land. Build a pole barn on the land, make half of it habitable with bathroom, sink, heat, electricity. Sell the trailer, move into the pole barn, get a mortgage on the land and build a house.

16. markcollette

markcollette Member

I must agree with most of how Willow_girl achieved freedom. Working hard is the best way to achieve what you want and if you can get your land and house without a mortgage (or pay it off as soon as possible) you are well on your way. I also encourage you to develop a long term plan to acquire health care, best way I know of is to retire from the military. Then learn how to live simply, you can learn to live with less.

Cheers,

Mark

17. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandmother's family came over about when yours did. They came with Cadillac to Fort Detroit. I don't think they were farmers though, because a major avenue is named after them. They were probably some kind of merchants.

Four walls do not a prison make. Count your blessings and your freedoms.

You can live your dream, but you may have to scale it down a bit. What would you be willing to give up in order to be totally self sufficient? Is it really necessary to be totally self sufficient. What is the most important part of your dream? Not working for someone else? Working with the soil? I love to work in the dirt, but I don't like the dirt getting under my fingernails. Would you be happy to have five acres with a few fruit trees and a nice vegetable garden? Do you feel that people don't like you (or you don't like them), so you want to separate yourself from people? You don't need a farm to do that. Do you like working with animals and see yourself using horse or mule power on a farm?

You can earn a living with twenty acres if you have good land and plan carefully. So, what is it that YOU really want?

18. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

My husband and I have found that freedom smells a lot like sweat! And looks a lot like dirt! When we moved onto our land 7 years ago, it was paid for, but had only a falling down rock house, a well, and lots and lots of trees. There was no electricity, no usable buildings, a driveway covered with trees and a lot of hard work ahead of us. After 7 short years with no vacations and putting every penny into the place we could, we can sit on our porch and look across the fenced pasture at the goats grazing on brambles, watch the chickens and ducks eat the bugs, catch catfish in our stocked ponds, eat fresh vegetables from our garden, open the freezer for a little venison for dinner and enjoy the wildlife that is ever present.

Wishing and dreaming were a very small part of the equasion. The rest requires hard work and sacrifice.

19. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Mountmorris, you seem to have gotten alot of quasi-negative feedback, espically about leaving your farm to your kids. Alot of people have issues, and would have issues no matter their current condiction. Its not thier faults usually. I inherited the small homestead here. And i love it. I was the only one who was born and raised on it all my life. I told my family to tell me what they wanted, and I gave it to them, except land. Later I told them if they didnt get X item, I was going to keep it or throw it away. I was lucky that the land was deeded to me specifically. People will have as much trouble as they allow themselves to have, because other will let them have it all.

If you pick the right area, you can do practically whatever you want so long as your not screwing your neighbors, like raising 100 roosters, dogs, drugs, or trying to get the county trash dump started there. Ive never asked anyone permission for anything on my land.

And as for living off the land, its really easy. People dont think so because they wont do without modern luxuries like running water, electricity, fresh foods year round, cars, insurance, large houses etc.

Heres how to live off the land. First buy the land , one to three acres (less than lose in bankruptcy, and not many taxes) in a place as far away from a town as you can find, at least 20-30 miles, in a county with NO Cities. With property taxes like 200-300 /year. Build a small house, one, perhaps two rooms 100-200 sqft. Buy your animals, i would limit it to chickens and hogs, unless your are going to try to sell larger animals. Buy some ground working tools, hoes, saws, axes, shoves, forks,syth etc. Build a tiny barn for chickens, and a stall for general purpose, with a lean-to on one side for wood. You will have to use wood to heat, and have enough trees to use, if you have a 150sqft house, well insulated, you will burn very little wood. Infact with you in it, it probably wont freeze with no fire. Collect rainwater, and use an outhouse. A quick rundown:

Land 2 acres @ $3,000/acre : $6,000
    Small house, self-built : $4,000
    Small barn, self-built : $1,000
    Large supply of hand tools : $1,000
    Animal stock : $1,000
    Better get a supply of vitamins, and be very carefull not to hurt yourself. Pay everything off ahead of time, you can not make any payments, or have any mortage since you will have to have insurances.

Grow your food, do without anything you cant make with the your hand tools.

Figure $500 / year in expences such as salt, taxes, spices, medicines, paper, (toilet paper if you cant do without it !), etc

Anyone can make $500 in a year, its less than $10/week.

The whole reason very few do it, is because they want running water, electric, flushing toilets, transportation, phones, lots of land with high property taxes, and other convienences.

I have went a whole winter on beans and potatoes, really wish i planted more onions ;-)

In reality you want to find a mix comfortable for yourself.

You could live comfortably for $5000 /year if everthing is paid for, and you dont want much, but can have a used car electric, phone, internet. Children will be expensive, since you will want to 'buff up' the place to insure family services doesnt get called on you.

20. Terri

Monrmorris, if you do not try to live your dreams, what will you do with yourself? Watch movies until you croak?

For the sake of my family, I modified my dreams somewhat. No matter, I have the most important parts, and DH and the kids are worth it.

I repeat: I have the most important parts!

As for my kids: they either will want the home place or they will not. If they want it I intend to pass it on to them. ;)