Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least not for their thinness.

I stepped on the scale this morning after my shower. Yep, I weighed about the same as usual. I have reached a stable weight at which, it seems no matter what I do, my weight pretty much remains the same. The problem? My weight is about 20-25 pounds heavier than I would like.

Which got me to thinking: Why do we admire skinny people and aspire to be one of them? I just don't think that they are doing their fair share.

Back when I was in school, we learned about the Law of Conservation of Mass. That dictates is that matter cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be rearranged. That's a law folks. It's isn't just some silly theory. I've fought that law, and the law won.

What that means is when someone loses weight or merely fails to gain much, that weight has to go somewhere. How often have you been walking along and came across some big wad of body fat? It just doesn't happen. And that fat has to go somewhere. Some of it has found me. I'm carrying about all that I can.

Yet fat people are often ridiculed for somehow being undisciplined and lazy. Why even on Homesteading Today, I've seen threads asking why there are so many fat people at a well-known discount store on Saturdays. They seem to be one of the few groups left that are safe to mock.

But, when I see a 350-pound guy waddling down the aisle, I want to shake his hand and say, "Thank you buddy! Keep up the good work." When I see a woman in too-low-cut jeans spilling over the top (I think some folks call they a "muffin top" (And a word to the wise: Never try to tuck the over-spill back in without asking first.)), although I don't find it all that appealing, I know that she is doing her fair share.

No, it's the skinny people who are the lazy ones. Oh, they have so much energy. They always seem to be on-the-go. They seem happier.

Well, of course they do! All the rest of us are carrying the load. Let them pick up some of it and see how they feel.

When I see some guy jogging down the road, I usually pull up (I'd honk my horn if it worked), roll down the window and yell, "Slacker!" But that is usually counterproductive because, after doing some sort of a finger extension exercise, they usually run a bit faster. I can feel those ounces burning and finding their way to my belly.

It's time that skinny folks step up to the plate, literally, and start pulling their share of the weight!

Then, just maybe, some of the load will be taken off of me.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
don't blame me....seems I picked up somebody's extra along the way. OR....gravity is just so cruel a beast that it just looks like I did. then again....who's to say it's necessarily a bad thing that your behind flaps off the back of your knees?? and don't get me started on the front parts....but I know now why belts were invented and not to hold up pants.

what the heck is a scale??? oh..that sounds like something I just wouldn't like at all!!!!!!

step .....away.....from......that.......evil.......thing....you.....call.....a......scale!

let's go eat cake. :)

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I am baking a chocolate cake right now. I hope it helps you!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My feeling about weight is that when the famine hits us hefties will out live the skinny people. In all seriousness I have battled with weight all my life and I just think my body is to ba at the weight it is. So now that I don't worry about I feel much better I do try to eat what it best and stay at the same weight.

RenieB

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
I am baking chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate cake this morning. Made 4 pans of fudge last night. I am about 40 lbs heavier than i want to be. But the dr.'s remind me I am not 18 any more and the weight i was then wont work now for me. I have skinny girl in side,, I shut her up with chocolate and I am keeping her warm for the winter. Every skinny girl I see always look like she is sick, pale, and under a thick coat,, put some fat on them bones,, you wont always be cold

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Picture Africa, where in many countries the anorexic thinness our movie stars cultivate indicates AIDS or extreme poverty or tuberculosis or all three. Now imagine the happy healthy well padded African women you have seen in photos- THOSE are the folks most attractive in their countries. The skinny ones- like here you just feel a protective urge to avoid their probable illness.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
I used to be one of the skinny ones and it would be nice to be thinner but my blood sugar stabilized, my blood pressure is still low but not so low that I feel faint whenever I stand up and my migraines are nearly managable I'll keep the padding to keep those three problems at bay at time.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I have figured I am average weight at 250 pounds,instead of me wearing 2X Shirt it should be Labeled Medium.

big rockpile

·
I'm skinny
166 Posts
The skinny ones- like here you just feel a protective urge to avoid their probable illness.
Hey! I resemble that remark! I'm skinny and the guys used to joke about me having AIDS. LOL!

They didn't avoid me when it came to the hard work that needed to be shared, they let me jump right in there with them. :p

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
LOL I love it! I'm about 20 pounds overweight too and just laugh at my friends who are "dieting". I always ask them if they plan on eating like that the rest of their lives. Have at it, leaves more for me. I grew up being too thin, almost didn't make it in the Air Force because I was underweight. I fought to gain 5 pounds in order to get in. But as I aged and had surgeries and then was put in a wheel chair I finally started gaining. Think I'll keep those extra pounds. I earned them.

·
1-5-acre dreamin'
393 Posts
Hey, I'm getting there....though people still call me thin. I gained 10 pounds in the last year, according to my doctor's scales. That's a lot for me! Been about the same since High school. But I can hide it better - I'm 6'3"

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I am not overweight...
I am prepping!
It is my own little way of storing stuff that I will need if TSHTF!
A little extra weight - in my case a lot of extra - helps in famines. Unfortunately, I've never experience a famine. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I won't say that I was buff when in high school but at various times I did haul a fair amount of bales and had quite a bit of upper body strength.

For many years I stayed at my senior year weight of 165. Eventually my weight started to creep up when I neared 50 and I briefly let it peak around 189. I wasn't comfortable at that weight and even though doctors and nurses call me big boned I felt I weighed more than I should so have worked on slowly losing it.

Last week I stepped on scales and they showed me at 167. I'm very happy to be there at this age in my life which is very near age 62. Hopefully this time I will watch it a little closer and not let it creep up as much.

It has never been difficult for me to lose weight once I really set my mind to it. My mother struggled with her weight most of her life so I know just how difficult it can be for many to lose any excess. I wish all of those well that wish to.

Sorry that I am not willing to do my part at carrying any displaced mass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts