I don't think I'm suppose to do any gardening this year!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 10, 2006.

1. I'm 2 months behind on getting my onions out, and almost 4 weeks behind on getting my taters in the ground. Today I took the time to start tilling my garden up and just as I was finishing up the second passover my tiller started blowing oil out, then smoke, and then all of a sudden the engine locked up. It happened fast. I started seeing oil spots on the fender and thought maybe it was starting to rain, but I couldn't feel anything hitting me. Just about the time I realized it was oil splattering on the fender, the engine started smoking. So I started to decrease the throttle control to shut it off and all of a sudden it died. I thought to myself, "Gosh, I hope the engine doesn't lock up!" I grabbed the pull rope and the engine is locked up hard. :grit:

Just my luck! It's a troybuilt and I have had it since 94' without any problems. Last year I put a brand new carberator on it. And right now with my financial situation I don't think I could afford another troybuilt. I may have to buy me a cheaper made reartine tiller and hope it last me a while till better finances are available.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Don't you hate it when that happens? I have a troybuilt myself waiting on a new carburetor.

Just recently the tendonitis in my wrist healed up so I can start getting the garden stuff done. I am so behind it isn't even funny, but I know it'll get done one way or another...

Watch the classifieds. I found my troybuilt for $125 when a landscaping service was going out of business.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

It's been too rainy and cold to even walk across the yard here, let alone try to plant anything, so don't feel bad. (Well, at least I don't have a broke tiller to replace -- sorry about that!)

Kathleen

4. Well from what i've heard is that troybuilt no longer builds good quality tillers since they sold out. So is it going to matter what brand of reartine tiller I purchase. I was looking at some last night at Atwoods and there's range in around the $600. price. That's about half the price of what I gave for my troybuilt 8 h.p. econohorse. I've thought about buying a new engine but by the time I get one purchased and put on then I will be even later on getting my early crops out.

What to do? What to do?

I grow a lot of vegetables which help out a lot through out the year. Right now I'm still eating corn, green beans, and squash from last years garden. I don't know exactly just how much I save by raising my own but using a wild ----- guess, I would say in the neighbor hood of $200-250. maybe more!

I'm going to check around today and see if I can purchase a new engine somewhere right fast without having to order it.

5. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

When we heard Troybilt was selling out, we started going to auctions and purchased 2 old Horses that we keep for parts. So far, we have not needed them, but it is an option........

You might be able to buy a new motor cheaper than a new tiller?

6. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I put a new 8 horse on my 78 horse.. seems like it was right at 200.00. US. best money I ever spent as I replaced a 6 horse tejunksa.Make sure of your shaft size before you order an engine.. seems as if mine had an odd 3/4 inch shaft.. I ordered it at my local Ace hardware.. sure did make a great improvement over the six.. But now I need to invest in a new set of tines.. close to another 100. I have a pony too. so I will be ok ..

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Hey, if it makes you feel better, we only have 3 4X4 sections of the garden prepared ourselves. (We are trying square foot). That is not much for a fam of 7. My excuse for being late with the potaotes and onions is sheer ignorance. This is only the 2nd year we have done a garden, and last year we only did true summer veggies. We didn't try to garden in spring or fall.

Good luck with the tiller situation. I borrowed one from my neighbor this year. I felt like I was walking behind a stubborn mule! It threw me around like a paper doll. Man, I thought I was stronger than that.

Cindy

8. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

You're in good company. Just got my place plowed yesterday, rushed to get part of it disked so I could get my taters in. Nope. Ran out of light. Sounds like rain again tonight so more delay. No taters in, no cabbage, no peas. Gonna be my latest 'early' garden ever.

9. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Well, I'm running behind as well. I just can't seem to "get it together".....
    Just got 1/2 my taters in the ground last week-end and onions yesterday.
    I have 150 tomatoes that are getting too big too fast and more plans than time. I am wondering if I'll make it myself. I figured out today that I'll just have to do the best that I can for this year. I was hoping to get a few chicks
    but I am so strapped for time and money that I just don't see that happening this year. I do have bees coming on the 22nd of this month. I could use a good couple of weeks of free time to devote to the garden, then I might be caught up.

10. Yep rose, I too am gonna go ahead and plant what I can when I get a tiller up and running. After all, what am I gonna do with 25 pounds of seed potatoes that I have ready to go in the ground if I don't plant them? I'll just have to plant them and live with the results.

Well checked at a engine warehouse and the results was that they no longer make that particular model of engine anymore.(Tecumseh) But I'm thinking why can't I just do what like ericjeeper mentioned. This evening I pulled the motor off and looks like I could easily adapt another one right in its place. Using a little injunuity that is!(bailing twine/duct tape)

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

it's so dry here....anyway.....
    rh, try putting those taters on the ground, put rocks or something around them, and cover them with straw. keep mounding straw on the plants as they grow. i put mine in old tires and they do well. so much easier than digging and all that. pull the straw away when you need taters. get em in w/o tilling a thing.

12. slowsuki1

slowsuki1 Well-Known Member

get on ebay go to stores and then put in troy bilt horse. there are sevral engines for 200-400 $ look at model# then see if someone near you has that engine.just got a horse tiller. hope it works as good as people say. its a older model. saw the engines while looking.

13. Can't do that Okgal, thanks for the ideal anyway. I've tried that before and it requires someone to water them almost daily which is problem with me. There's times in the spring/summer that we take off and go camping for several days and there will be no one here to water them. I do good to find someone to just come by and feed/water the doggies and bunnies.

14. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i live not far from you and didn't water hardly at all. i had a good crop that year, too. already have about 6 plants up, and have only watered once this year, they've been in since mid march. must be different on my rocks than where you are :)

15. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Tilled garden and planted beets, onions, swiss chard, peas, spinach, radish, carrots and lettuce. Went shopping with family friends next day; came home to whopping proud hubby who "tilled that garden area up real well for you, honny". Now what? Thought about turning on sprinkler and "being surprised" but he voted me down. Re-planting tomorrow. Thank goodness I haven't planted the squash, melons and sweet potatoes yet let alone rest of brussel sprouts and broc and cabbage. Oh, well, tomorrow is another day! We use a mantis; it's small and I can start it with no problems. It's not a Troybuilt, but then I could buy 3 Troys to 1 mantis. Have had it for 4 years of very tough treatment; it's a little workhorse and there is a dealer in town that could repair if we had insurmountable probs. Just a thougth; I realize some folks have enormous gardens; ours year before last was l/3 acre not counting the potatoes. Don't give up; it's not that late even if all y ou lose time on is potatoes. Plenty more can go in this late - even in Oklahoma!

16. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

You are all making me jealous. I'm itching to get in my garden but planting season doesn't start for another month here for me in Wisconsin. I usually wait till the last week of May. Then I know it is safe from frost. I know some put theirs in sooner but then it either freezes or it starts raining then they have to replant. Right now mine is pretty well under water.

17. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Is there someone nearby that will just come and till it for you? Maybe in exchange for some goodies later?? I know I would!!! Too bad I live too far away.

That way, you can fix your tiller as you get the time and money, and not lose time you need for planting.

Gosh....that sentence didn't make sense, but you know what I mean!!!! I'm tired.

18. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Your engine is locked up and no good to you the way it is right? You have nothing to loose so pull the cylinder head off the engine and see if it will turn over with the head off. I had a gasoline powered electric generator that was "locked up" when I tried to use it and all that was wrong was a carbon build-up on the top of the piston. When I tried to get the engine to turn over the carbon hit the cylinder head and it would not turn over. If that's the case turn the engine until the piston is at the very top of it's stroke and careful remove any carbon build-up and put the head back on torqued to specs and go to work. I'd change the oil before I started it if I were you. Good luck!:cowboy:

19. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Woohoo---rain held off, 50lb of Yukon Gold planted, 50lb of Kenebec and 50lb of Pontiac to go for the taters (I like my taters). Then the peas, onions, cabbage........