Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They even have names. Smudge, Skippy, and Shasta.

I get up at 5 am and now that the sun is brightening the sky around that time the animals have also decided to make sure that I get up at the right time. It was Smudge our Aussie the last few weeks, waving a shoe or a toy in my face if I was not up and watching the news by 5 am. Now the horses have started asking to be let onto the pasture at 4:55 am with several whinnies to get our attention.

·
STILL not Alice
20,157 Posts
We're looking for a "real" alarm clock, because we don't like having electronica in our bedroom.

We do, however, have 3 indoor alarm clocks of the same style as @painterswife: Cappy, Caoimhe, and Scout. Cappy is a one-year-old English Shepherd, very "chatty" (read: vocal and irritating). Now that sunrise is at 5:50 am, Cappy thinks the world should be awake to celebrate the new day.

Thing is, if DH gets up to let the little blighter outside, he only "woofs" once, as he walks out the door.

When I try to give DH a break and get up to let him outside, it has to be an in-depth, top volume conversation, from the moment my feet the floor.

Looking forward to that little alarm clock maturing...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lol! Last year I had 3 alarm clocks too! Ruby, Lilly, and Tim. All three of them would stand outside underneath my bedroom window and bray at me until I woke up. They did that every morning at 6:30. And they wouldn't stop until they saw my face in the window and I said good morning to them. Then I would go downstairs to the kitchen and little Timmy would be waiting at the back door to be scratched. Then I would eat breakfast and head outside by 7. I would walk past their pen to go up to the barn, and all three would be standing there at the gate waiting for their love. I would pet them, and then leave, go milk the cow and feed the other critters. Come back down, all 3 would be at the fence and sing me a song when they saw me coming and follow me down the fence until I got to the gate and they wouldn't stop braying until I pet them. It was so cute! We had so much fun last summer. They were so cute!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I tell my hubby that I do not need an alarm clock either. No clock at all. My two dogs know when its time for morning walk, breakfast, afternoon walk, evening walk, dinner, bed etc. I get off work at 5:00, they are both in my office at 4:55 every single day just staring at me until I say "OK, I know. It's time for walk"

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My horses also expect to go out on pasture a 2 pm. The other day I was driving back from town and stopped at the neighbors first. The horses must have heard my car because they could not see it. I was a 1/4 of a mile away but they started hollering up a storm. They also know when we are bringing in a trailer of hay before it gets within a 1/2 a mile.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
two alarm clocks here, aka Tao and Deja...peeoclock is 5-530 every morning without fail. I get herded at both their bowl times and at my meal times :p

I've had great luck finding real alarm clocks at thrift stores, if that helps anyone...

Peace,
Kyrie, Tao Blue SD AKC CGC CGCA CGCU TKN PAT, Deja Blue SD AKC CGC CGCU TKN PAT

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
We have many alarm clocks including the old fashioned key alarms. But who needs them when you have cats. Ours wake us up every morning at exactly 6:00 am. They are relentless. And of course they then sleep most of the morning. And changing the times in spring and fall never confused them. Since we are retired we would love it if they could just change their alarm clock to 7:00 am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts