i don't mean to brag, but i have blackberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Jun 9, 2006.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i picked two arapaho's yesterday. they were all the way black. although they needed several more days in the sun. they were tart. it looks like a huge crop.
    randy

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Go ahead and brag. I'm jealous! :)

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DW just told me they picked 5 yesterday! they were delicous though she did not eat any the kids ate them all so far.

4. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

Score!!!

Here's a great recipe for Blackberry Syrup:

Blackberry Syrup

1. Lightly mash:

approximately 8 cups blackberries (enough to make 3 1/2 cups of juice)

2. Bring berries to a boil in a large saucepan.

3. Press the berries through a fine-hole colander to extract the juice.

4. In an 8-quart pot, combine juice with:

1/3 cup real lemon juice

5. Bring to a boil.

6. Add:

8 cups sugar

7. Stir constantly to dissolve sugar.

8. Bring to a full rolling boil for 10 seconds.

9. Remove from heat and skim any froth from the top.

10. Ladle or pour into heated, cleaned sterile Mason jars and cap. Turn jars upside down for 5 minutes. Then turn right side up again. Make sure jars "ping" to seal.

Makes 5 pints

5. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Cool,Tirzah-what a timely post!I need to free up some freezer space this weekend,as my freezer is half full of blackberries(they come early in S. MS)and some blueberries,so I need to fire up the canner.I tried to make syrup with some a while back,but the syrup wouldn't go through the strainer really,so I scrapped the syrup idea,called it"jam",and canned it up.Sooo...What's a good way to "press"it through the strainer?
    On the lemon juice-Is this to enhance flavor,or to adjust acidity?
    I'm processing in a water bath canner,so I assume I can skip the last step.If I'm wrong,lemme' know,'cause I dont need no stinking botulism.

6. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

We've been munching blackberries for two weeks. LOL! They're great. Big and fat navahos. When the navaho finish up, it'll be just in time for the cherokee to be getting ripe. They're already red now.

Sorry ya'll are having to wait so long for your berries.

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I don't like you guys anymore! I am officially jealous.

Oh well, guess that's what I get for living in the desert

Nikki

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Randy, dude, I have over two acres of blackberries......... Oh, I also have four black berry plants I bought in my real berry patch. No berries yet.

9. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello Swampman!

This recipe I got from a friend, I actually don't "press" through a sieve or colander I use my cheesecloth bag (for straining juices for jellies). This works fine for me (I have also made Blueberry Syrup using the same recipe and it is good too!).

I believe that the lemon juice is for the acidity but could be wrong. I never questioned it .

As far as the last part of step 10, go for the water bath if you're not sure. I just don't have any luck and have followed instructions to the "T" with the water bath. I have not had any problems yet with the inversion method. (I learned this from Sure-Jel pectin).

Today, I was cleaning out my freezer :) and found some Plum Juice I had saved from last summer and using the same recipe made some Plum Syrup. Despite not using the colander the syrup ends up being a good consistency and not too liquidy. I even used Evaporated Cane Sugar instead of white refined.

Hope this helps and happy canning :)

10. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

Jealous as heck! Patiently waiting for the in-laws' blackberries to ripen. They don't pick them because of the poison ivy, but since I don't react to it...I've been nominated!

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

ummm, ours are blooming, so take that!

12. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Thanks,Tirzah. :)
    I have tons of wild plums here-I'll have to try some plum syrup.Blackberry time has come and gone down here,so I reckon I'ts my turn to be jealous of those who are just getting them. :Bawling:
    Nick

13. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I'm coming in last here - mine are still in bud.

14. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

It's so funny to read your posts. We do everything possible to kill the blackberry bushes here. They grow so fast and are such a nuscience weed. My goats are very well fed. I could live year round on berries here:)

15. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We've already made a blackberry buckle and some jelly. Blackberries will soon be gone down here.

16. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Sigh.
    Didn't have any wild blackberries here so we actually bought some and planted them. Planted 9 in the fall. 2 never grew leaves this spring. We killed a 3rd with the tractor (don't ask). So we have 6 berry bushes... and the deer are eating them. I put chicken wire over them this weekend.

Heavens, bramble berries are *weeds* and I can't even get any to grow!

17. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Just like RRanch said, here on the coast they are a total pest and grow wild everywhere. I do keep one area pruned and somewhat trained and harvest off that area, otherwise i run my goats and pigs on them to keep them from spreading. when we got our place it literally was a blackberry bramble emporium. You could not make out the house yard or the drive way for them (guess thats why we got it so "cheap").I have over 3 acres out back that are solid blackberries right now, and the task is so duanting that I'm leaving them for the deer.....yeah, the deer :help:
    Enjoy your bounty! I'm going to try out that syrup recipe here soon!!
    thanks
    corry

18. Sticklady

Sticklady Member

Thanks for the recipes and info.
    Ours haven't ripened yet,
    anxiously awaiting with our canning supplies ready to go...
    :)

19. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, we let the goats at the blackberries around here, just to get rid of them. I'd love to have a patch of Himalayans, but I'd have to have them in a bird proof cage to keep them from spreading (seeds in the bird droppings), and plenty of time to keep them pruned back. I love blackberry berries, just not the plants overrunning the place!