I dont know if therapy would help... look at this doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

...there seems to be only one cure. KIDS!

This LM doe (Shake) was my FIRST to come in heat and she only came in heat once. She was bred by Mr. Enthusiastic who has never "missed" a doe.

[​IMG]

January 14 is her due date. About a week ago I started wondering if she is even pregnant. At first I thought, maybe just one kid????

[​IMG]

I've been feeding her on the milk stand and feeling for kids. Cant feel a darn thing!!! :shrug: :flame:

I've got 3 more does due on January 21 and they are all HUGE - you can feel babies everywhere, and they are loosening up, and the udders are growing!

Shake is 7 yrs old and this will be her first kidding on MY PLACE. I've been talking to her previous owners who suspect she may have come into heat again a week to 10 days later and been bred then. I didnt see that happen, but it's not impossible...

So, I am really going crazy waiting on babies!! We REALLY need a little milk for my son who has terrible stomach problems. :Bawling:

2. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

PS - it's icy this morning, and those wethers in coats in the background of the second pic are my kids 4-H wethers. They just showed them on Friday so the poor boys had to be clipped.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Is her utter filing at all? can you post a picrute of her Butt, tail up?

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, her udder is NOT filling up and her hinelary regions are normal - nothing at all like a doe fixin to kid. :Bawling:

Maybe she's not pregnant. BUT, why didnt she go back in heat? I could cry. I want kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Off topic, but I had to laugh at "hinelary region". Are you by any chance familiar with the Hank The Cowdog books? ;)

6. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Maybe she is only going to have one kid. I have had large does not look pregnant; then give birth to one. Also, if you have a buck running with her and are not sure of when she was bred, maybe it was a late breeding. This occurred to me as well.

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hank the Cow Dog!!!!!

I hear nothing but HANK all day long! My kids love those books and tapes. They have almost listened to all the tapes - we've been checking them out at the library. They are pretty hilarious! And yes, I confess, that's where I got the "hinelary regions". :p

I think that Shake must have come into heat again and isnt going to kid for another 3 weeks or so...

BUT, my sweet black LaMancha kidded last night!!! It snowed for the first time in 5 years and so we've joked about naming the kids Sleet and Snow.
    It was a MISERABLE night. I was out in the barn until 1 am - as soon as they had nursed and dried off I went to bed!

8. TerryJ

TerryJ Well-Known Member

I use a fetal heart rate detector that I bought off the internet that woman use to listen to their babies while in the womb. It has a digital read out of the heart rate. I apply lots of gel, place in on the right side of the abdomen where the udder attaches to the belly (the least hairiest spot...) ...if you get a heart rate of 70-80 it is the mother's, if you get heart rates of 100+ it is the "Kids". They have to be 3 months pregnant to pick up the fetal tones. Heart rates 110-140 means Kids, Kids, Kids!!!

9. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Not to be alarmist, but I'd keep an eye on that doe. You have an older doe, it appears, and there are a variety of diseases she could have that are NOT pregnancy but can cause a swelling condition LIKE pregnancy. You may wait and wait for a kid to be born, but you are really watching her decline in health. Unfortunately, all these old-age diseases are fatal.

I kept my original herd of goats all their lives, so I am familiar with geriatric presentations. I had two does die with all appearances of pregnancy. One was like 12-14 years old, but the other was a Toggenberg only about 5. In both, it was cancer. They begin to retain water if they get mammary, overy/cervical/vaginal, or urinary system cancers. The older one actually produced milk before death.

Like in humans, there is a genetic component to goats getting cancer, and dairy goats are more susceptible to it, according to the state lab.

I do my own autoposies on my "mystery" deaths, and cancer was lab confirmed in one of these and visually confirmed in the other.

I am NOT suggesting she has a terminal illness. I am looking at her lidded eyes in the pic and her apparent age, and suggesting you watch her if you are unable to palpate a kid. She may be retaining fluid.

You can also palpate her by cupping your hand under and around her rear/vaginal opening area and feeling for hardness. It will be a VERY firm hard area there. Also palpate her udder in the rear area. Raise her eyelid and check to see the color underneath. It should be reddish-pink. If it is whitish, that is a sign of anemia, the first sign a goat often gives of severe illness. The whiter, the worse. (This also could mean heavy worm infestation. I never worried about that, my goats are kept wormed.) Keep track of urine and fecal movements. You may find she is having difficulty urinating or maintaining enough of a stream to keep herself clean of it, or the pellets may change, and those may be signs.

It is more humane to discover illness early and if it is terminal, to have her put down than to have her suffer. A vet can be of further help if need be. Let us know how it turns out. I hope it is not this, but had to say something in case it is.