Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,210 Posts
Have you seen the film? Ghetto high school kids with an inspired teacher ace the advanced placement tests. Motivation (ganas) is all it takes. Color or social status is irrelevant.

True story.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,210 Posts
I assumed that folks had seen the film. My mistake.

In the early 1980s, Jaime Escalante becomes a mathematics teacher at James A. Garfield High School in East Los Angeles. The school is full of Latino students from working-class families who are far below their grade level in terms of academic skills and also have a lot of social problems. Escalante seeks to change the school culture to help the students excel in academics. He soon realizes the untapped potential of his class and sets a goal of having the students take AP Calculus by their senior year. Escalante instructs his class under the philosophy of ganas, roughly translating to "desire" or "motivation".

The students begin taking summer classes in advanced mathematics with Escalante, who must withstand the cynicism of the other faculty who feel that the students are not capable of this. As they struggle with the lower expectations that they face in society, Escalante works hard to teach and encourage them, and they pass the AP Calculus exam.

To the dismay of both Escalante and the students, the Educational Testing Service questions the success of the students, insisting there is too much overlap in their errors and suggesting the students cheated. Escalante defends his students and feels that the allegations are based more on racial and economic perceptions. He offers to have the students retake the test months later, and the students all succeed in passing the test, despite having only a day to prepare.

Wikipedia

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Once again we have an example of an incident inside a public school where a teacher is placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation, lol. Without the video, I'm not sure what action may have been taken, or what the parents would have known. It was abuse, pure and simple.
A public school teacher humiliating a student.
Does anyone believe that was the first time this teacher ever released on a kid?
I suppose when faced with an example like that, it may be easier to just defend critical race theory and ignore the OP.
Folks with self control and temperament issues need not be responsible for anyone other than themselves.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Not getting into the fray but I don't even know what "color" any of the mathematicians were? I didn't think it matters. I know a few of them were Greek. That's not white by today's standards and was even more dark several centuries ago before this melting pot we can earth got smaller.

So, if we need to give credit by color then we need to also give credit by religion. How many Muslims? Christians? Pagans? Does it take to create a Pythagorean theorem?

Wait, wait.... We left out women. Women did a lot of things back then and never got credit for it. Often the men would take the credit for her wisdom. Should we call it Pythagoras Wife theorem? It should be researched after all to see. Why leave women out of this experience.

Sorry, I learned about math in math class. I learned about culture in social studies and geography. And it was a fascinating class for me because I love the study of ALL people.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Not getting into the fray but I don't even know what "color" any of the mathematicians were? I didn't think it matters. I know a few of them were Greek. That's not white by today's standards and was even more dark several centuries ago before this melting pot we can earth got smaller.

So, if we need to give credit by color then we need to also give credit by religion. How many Muslims? Christians? Pagans? Does it take to create a Pythagorean theorem?

Wait, wait.... We left out women. Women did a lot of things back then and never got credit for it. Often the men would take the credit for her wisdom. Should we call it Pythagoras Wife theorem? It should be researched after all to see. Why leave women out of this experience.

Sorry, I learned about math in math class. I learned about culture in social studies and geography. And it was a fascinating class for me because I love the study of ALL people.
And, tell me, when you learned about tessellations, for example, did you hear about anyone other than Escher? Ever hear about the Indian contributions to geometry? How about the contributions Indian mathematicians made to what developed into the Pythagorean theorem?

It matters because students engage more with a subject when they see people who look like them and come from the same background as they do in the curriculum of that subject. More engagement leads to improved success despite what many folks in this thread would have you believe.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
“We” haven’t limited our examples of contributors to our society to only one gender and color - at least in the time that either you or I have been alive. Claiming that we do, or that anyone is saying we should, is a fallacy.

It is a sad, sick view you have of our children to think that they can’t relate to people with bodies different than theirs. You’re suggesting that they’re racist, sexist, and lack empathy.

If little Sarah is in math class, and Sarah likes math, that is her only attribute that is relevant in that classroom. When she first hears about the work of Pythagoras, if she has even a half a second to wonder what his genitals were shaped like and if the shape of hers will help her or hurt her understanding of his theorems, that is your failing, not hers. His ONLY attribute relevant to Sarah is that he liked math... just like her.

Stop indoctrinating our children to be sexist racists.

That’s what we pay their gym teacher for.
The only folks attempting to indoctrinate "children to be sexist racists" are the folks who appear to be absolutely terrified of kids seeing people who look like them and come from similar backgrounds in the curriculum.

It is absolutely true that, during our lifetimes, we were limited in our examples of contributors to a variety of fields.

Let's explore your example of little Sarah. If Sarah likes math but never sees anyone who looks like her in the curriculum, she will begin to wonder why. Why is there no one like her being shown as capable and successful in math? Where are all the people that look like her? She will begin to doubt that math is for people who look like her and she will begin to disengage from the subject. You can pooh-pooh it all you want, but that's reality.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
“You know what? You’re not a special person around here. You should hear how everybody talks about you around here. YOU’RE A JERK,”

Why would the teacher's union stand up for this?
Where are you getting that the union is "standing up for this"? She's on leave and the district is investigating. Sounds like proper procedures are being followed.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Just seeing the still preview of that video makes me think there’s a rear shot of a tow truck in the room. Not sure I want to hit play and hear and see the front.

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
So if you need to show people of color in math class how do you go about doing that? Do you teach kindergarten students the history of how numbers came to exist or do you have them count objects?

How did students learn math at all before TPTB decided there needed to be mathematical mirror images of the students in math history?

Back in the day when mathematical problems were written on chalkboards the teachers didn't draw any little people to go with the problems. We were taught that math is math, numbers have an absolute value, equations have solutions. 2 + 2 = 4 no matter what color the 2's are.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
And, tell me, when you learned about tessellations, for example, did you hear about anyone other than Escher? Ever hear about the Indian contributions to geometry? How about the contributions Indian mathematicians made to what developed into the Pythagorean theorem?

It matters because students engage more with a subject when they see people who look like them and come from the same background as they do in the curriculum of that subject. More engagement leads to improved success despite what many folks in this thread would have you believe.
When I lay out a building.... And it has to be correct no matter what.

No one cares who is responsible.

The field engineer who tries (but does not succeed) to pour concrete within 1/128th of an inch?

Not physically possible if you know anything about concrete and wood forms.

The architect who just cares about the design?

No, he is a company man/women usually.

The self employed GC who tries to please his client?

No, they also have an employer, even though they act like they don't.

Who are you talking about? All we care about is getting the job done. I have never heard of Eshner. Tell me, what did he do and please tell me what color he or she was.

Because that's what's important right....

Because you and your keepers think that black people can't do this I guess. So you have to espouse on their prowess.

As a teacher, did you know, that the earliest university was a black one? Also the biggest library in the "civilized" world was in the middle east?

Did they just train "people of color" it did they teach anyone that walked through their door?

Get real and get a grip. I have read history and I know what's what. It wasn't the white man who perfected education. It was going on a long time before we figured it out.

Teach that instead and open other peoples mind with that.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Asian kids are now complaining that the increased focus on black models in mathematics is causing disinterest and stunted learning. Oh birdy, what do to!
I just want to learn how to count!
Can teacher just teach me how to count first?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.