Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early May, I lost my beloved English Shepherd, Captain Stubby Butt (aka Cappy). The loss hit me hard, and I was not sure I would ever have an ES again, because Cappy was that "once-in-a-lifetime" dog.

Last week, the breeder was on my mind for a few days. Then, on Monday night, as I was laying me down to sleep, I could have sworn I saw Cappy sleeping in his usual spot, in front of DH's dresser. Had to shake my head, shed a few tears, went to sleep.

Next afternoon, got a text from the breeder. Was I ready to consider another pup? Was I ready?

Well... yeah.

Meet Fergus.

Dog Plant Eye Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
12,535 Posts
When one door closes, another opens. Our job is to be aware of when it opens. Good job! He's beautiful!

·
Premium Member
24,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. That was obviously heaven sent. :)
I forgot the other "sign" that it was time: His birthday is the same as my son's.

Have to admit: I was tempted to name the dog after son. Decided that pup deserves his own special name. :)

Fergus means "powerful; manly."

·
Premium Member
24,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fergus is adorable, and what a great story.

My daughter's dog is also named Fergus, but he goes by Gus ;)
That's what we are calling our boy, too!

Just needed an appropriate Irish Gaelic name (for me), with some hard consonants (for training).

I'm so tickled with this little goober.

• Love
Reactions: IceFire and Mish

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sometimes the universe steps in and we just have to go along with it. When we lost our first Shepherd, I was devastated and wasn't sure I wanted another dog. But, I had a dream about a younger, black one. His name was Max. Less than a week later, a far away shelter called and had "just what you are looking for". They had an 8 month old who was one day away from euthanasia. We drove 300 miles to meet him.
He came home with us that day. We named him Max.

As much as it hurts to lose one, I believe they want us to give another soul a chance and the love they enjoyed when they were with us.

Congrats on your new addition and may you both have the same joy in each other that you had with your other pup.

·
Premium Member
24,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fergus might be Cappy's spirit. Maybe he loved you so much that he came back to do it all over over again with you. I believe those things do happen.

Also, if this story wasnt uncanny enough, I also have an English Shepherd, his name is Chappy;
View attachment 112925
Oh! Chappy dog! <3

I don't believe in reincarnation, but I must admit that I looked at the calendar to make sure: Fergus was born May 5. Cappy died two days later, on May 7.

I suppose, however, that it is possible that Cappy somehow passed along the message to the Lord, asking that He send another pup to pick up and carry the torch Cappy dropped far too soon.

It is hard to look at Fergus and not become confused for a moment. I have called him "Cappy" a few times... But this is to be expected, I suppose, because they are from the same line. This litter was sired by Cappy's full brother. Fergus' dam was half sister to Cappy's sire.

My heart is full, but my eyes have been prone to dripping the past couple of days...

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
My favorite breed is the King Charles Spaniel. Never owned one, had a couple as granddogs. I knew when we moved here leaving the grands and grandpups behind would be hard. Low and behold, the first couple of years here the neighbor across the street was dying of cancer, and had a King Charles who come to our door and call us if she needed food, water, or attention. We unofficially adopted her, bought food for her, took her on walks, helped her owner all we could, and just generally felt the little dog was a new granddog. When the owner died family gave the dog a home. But she sure was good for us and opened the community for us.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That's not coincidence. You seeing Cappy was him letting you know that either that he was ready for round two, or he guided a new heart friend to you.

Time and your instincts will let you know which one.

It does happen. The dog in my pic is proof.

Boy, is that a wicked smart face. Enjoy!

Reactions: Pony
1 - 20 of 23 Posts