Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted 5/11/22 11:50 P.M. CDST

On weekends while drinking my morning coffee I often watch the 1950s era episodes of Superman and this past weekend as the part showing him flying and the exclamation " It's a bird ! It's a plane !" was heard , I thought to myself , where's the 12 year old genius kid to say "Looks like a guy in red jockey shorts to me, but how is he flying without flapping his arms?".

When those episodes show the pistol and the narrator says "faster than a speeding bullet" I find myself chuckling as I remember decades ago when some friends were swiping some watermelons one night from a neighbor's garden and I outran three shotgun blasts and 4 of my friends on foot and kept the melon I swiped as 3 of them dropped theirs but I still outran them all.

The neighbor not only knew who us kids were but when he heard one of us saying we ran faster than Superman when he shot at us, he told me and his great nephew if we had run faster we would have run into the birdshot he shot 40 feet over our heads.

He also thanked us for running in the rows as we got out of Dodge City after the first shot over our heads as he initiated us into the mountain boy melon swiping society. LOL

What are some of the funny memories or thoughts that still give you a chuckle?

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
Shooting at kids stealing our watermelons ;)

One Halloween me and some buddies were going to TP a girl's house. We were just getting started and the Dad came outside. I was hiding in the bushes. I don't know where everyone else was. Their dog found me and was barking his head off. I had not seen the Dad, and he was a big fellow, tall and wide. The dog was right on me barking. I told the dog to be quiet or I was gong to kick him. The silent, and invisible Dad replied, "You do, and I shoot". Never saw him coming. Dads protecting their daughter are stealthy.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Posted 5/11/22 11:50 P.M. CDST
What are some of the funny memories or thoughts that still give you a chuckle?
Pranked a grouchy neighbor by throwing some fish in his gutters. The house stunk for about 10 days and he couldn't figure it out. About 4 or 5 of us went back late one night to repeat our deed. It was a moonless night and at about 14 I hadn't realized yet I was nightblind. The old man rattled the front screen door trying to get out and we knew we were busted, so we sprinted around the side of the house and ran towards the back. I didn't see the knee wall in the dark and went face first into the dirt with a nsfw "Ohhhh fuddgge!".
Those guys have reminded me of that famous quote for quite a few decades.

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted 5/14/22 7:59 A.M. CDST

Shooting at kids stealing our watermelons ;)

One Halloween me and some buddies were going to TP a girl's house. We were just getting started and the Dad came outside. I was hiding in the bushes. I don't know where everyone else was. Their dog found me and was barking his head off. I had not seen the Dad, and he was a big fellow, tall and wide. The dog was right on me barking. I told the dog to be quiet or I was gong to kick him. The silent, and invisible Dad replied, "You do, and I shoot". Never saw him coming. Dads protecting their daughter are stealthy.
Your mentioning stealthy fathers reminded me of what happened to a guy dating a girl who lived next door to us when we were living in town before my father got our farm place.

The girl was grounded and in her second floor bedroom. The guy climbed a tree to get on the first floor roof unaware her father saw her climbing out her bedroom window to meet him on the roof to star gaze and make out and Daddy climbed out causing the boyfriend to take one too many steps back.

Her father tried to grab him by the belt but came up short. Luckily he fell on some pool floats piled closer to the house than the pool and the kids got to keep dating for a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts