Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, folks, hubby, as it turned out, didn't make his trip after all, so he took care of the rabbits. However, I went out this morning and had a rabbit that was not doing very well. The heat just got to it, I'm sure. I have lost 4 in the last 2 days because of the heat. We have fans going, we water 3 times a day, and have ice bottles in the cages, but still, some of these rabbits just don't do well in the heat.

Anyway, this was just a small rabbit and I figured it would be good for a test run for me, so I put it on the ground, laid a piece of rebar on the neck, stepped on it with both feet and pulled up. I did not feel a pop as such, but more like a tearing sensation. Then I just backed off, laid the rabbit down and within a few seconds, it stopped moving. I told my husband that I had done it and he said it wouldn't be much harder to do the bigger rabbits, so I may have figured out something I can do.

You know, this wouldn't be so important to me, but my husband is 68, and I am 48. I'm not saying anything is going to happen to him, because his family has relatively long lives. His uncle lived to be 103-1/2, his mother 97, so he's probably going to be around a good long while yet, Lord willing. However! If something should happen to him and I am left alone with all this, and I want to continue it, which I would for as long as I could, I would need to know how to manage for myself and not have to call on someone to come and do it for me.

I'm not a feminist or anything. I just don't believe in being helpless if you don't have to be. I'm also not a survivalist, but I do believe it is better to be able to care for yourself in times of emergency. (I hope I don't offend anyone by making these 2 comments).

Well, thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it very much!

Valorie

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
No one should ever be faulted for being realistic, and being prepared.

I hear you. We live on a 'unique' old homestead where there are many quirks and quarks with things like water systems, heating systems, back up generators, etc. Hubby takes care of it all. He's a mechanic by trade, very inventive and capable. We're 52. I need to learn as much as I can, because I, too, don't want to be dependent on anyone, and I don't want to change my lifestyle very much either.

So, I'm glad for you. Be proud of yourself.

B.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you know, I figure our great grandmothers did this kind of thing. We kind of got out of the habit and became a little too reliant on grocery stores for this kind of thing. I don't want to be reliant on anyone but God and my husband and I.

Thanks for your support Bernadette!

Valorie

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I agree, makes sense to be able to do as much as possible; OT, but one thing that has really helped me is a copy of the Reader's digest "Fix-It" manual... and if I can do it, anybody can. :D

Glad you ended the rabbit's suffering, too... double good for you!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly another reason for my being able to do "the deed." If I can end an animal's suffering, I will do so. I hate to leave a critter laying to suffer until it either dies on its own or wait until someone can get here to do it.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Congratulations dunroven, that's a big step!

I hear you about wanting (and needing) to be able to do what needs doing. It doesn't have to be radical feminism or tinfoil survivalist. It's just practical.

I know that due to strength and arthritis issues, seemingly simple tasks can become quite the challenge. I bet it feels great knowing you can tackle this one.

You know what? I am physically capable but so far emotionally unable to do the deed. You rock, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That helps Turtle! I need that right now! I very much appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
23,906 Posts
As others have already said, there's nothing wrong with being capable and prepared!

Think of the woman in Proverbs 31. She certainly knew what she was doing, and I'll bet if her family needed meat, she'd be checking with the rabbi on how to kill the rabbit. ;)

Cheers to you and huzzah on a job well done!

Pony!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Gentle ladies can also be strong when circunstances require it. You seem to have a good measure of both traits. I admire that...Glen

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
putting down sick rabbits is a necessity.anyone with a large rabbitry would go broke if they had too take every sick bunny too the vet too be put down.I got the cold shoulder for saying i put down a rabbit with a 22 rifle on a breeders group.its an acceptable method.they acted shocked.it had 2 broken legs.bluebird

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU!! :dance: its is hard the first time wether the animal is suffering or not... but with experiance it gets easier both the physical part and the emotional part...it will never be enjoyable I still have to mentally prepare myself for a few days before I can kill and butcher my rabbits..

the origonaly plan was for me to raise and butcher with DH doing the deed..
I got tired of waiting for him, he works 60 hour weeks..so i did it...got about half sick after wards, had to take a 20 min break after the kill because my hands were so shakey I was afraid I'd cut myself during the butchering :rolleyes:

but I did it and I'm now O.K. with it...hubby bragged for days :D

I got a ton of satisfaction out of eating that rabbit :hobbyhorse
and i bet you will too!!! :happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.