Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still so so so happy!! I can't even believe it!! I went up to the cows pen last night to say hi to them cause I was bored, and Maggie was laying down. So I just walked up to her and sat on her like I usually do. I sit on her like I would if I was riding her. One leg over each side. Anyways, last night, she started to stand up as I was on her. And usually I jump off then, but this time I didn't!!!! I stayed on her! And she was like in the middle of the field, and she walked all the way down to the water trough with me riding her!!!!!And she didn't even freak out or run or try and get me off. She just walked!! It was amazing!!! I can't even believe I did it!! My brother was totally judging me cause I was just stitting on her as she was drinking some water. It was so awesome! Of course I didn't have a camera with me :( That would have been awesome! Anywho, it was so cool! After probably 15 mins or so, she was being really good and just standing there calmly, so I jumped off and grabbed a bucket of grain and let her eat as I scratched her. It was so awesome!!!!!! Am I crazy?? 馃ぃ馃ぃ Has anyone else rode a cow? I'm training my bottle calf to get used to been rode, so that should be fun. Except for that he's part Jersey...that's probably gonna hurt. Maggie is only 1/4 Jersey, the rest is Holstein, so it wasn't so bad!

Sock puppet reinstated
I would be the same if that happened to me. I spend some time every afternoon with my new friend a colt about 2 months old now. If he is sleeping I lay down beside him. It really is something when animals trust you so much.

Registered
Acta non verba
In one of the books I just got, there is a chapter on riding cows. They mentioned in the south riding longhorns was fairly common. I got inspired (to my husband's chagrin I am sure)!

Registered
When I was a boy we had a Jersey milk cow that I tethered on vacant land near our house. If she pulled up her stake and wandered off to find other cattle I would have to find her and bring her home---So, at about fifteen or so I thought riding her home would be easier than leading her home---Sure 'nuff, it was. I'd coil her chain and hop on and she would head for the grain bin.

Premium Member
I would be the same if that happened to me. I spend some time every afternoon with my new friend a colt about 2 months old now. If he is sleeping I lay down beside him. It really is something when animals trust you so much.
Is his mama okay with it?

Premium Member
When I was about twelve, I rode a steer in the pasture. He went crazy and finally wiped me off his back against the side of a fence post. I still have the scar on my leg where the nail gouged it.

geo

Registered
Oddly enough, at lunch today a fellow came in with a cowboy hat---this is cow country and there are rodeos going on. Some lady, an Easterner apparently, asked the fellow if he was a real cowboy, and he assured her that he was---"Rode the bullls at ../.....last night and my kid brother did too. Been a cattleman all my life" The lady was impressed. Her husband chuckled and said "She's always wanted to meet a real cowboy".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem I have found with mounting her while she's standing, is when I push up off the ground, she freaks out and runs off. I need to find a stool, or a stump or something that I can climb up on beside her....

Administrator
My daughter has trained cattle and bison to be ridden and you really should use the same techniques you would use to start a horse before you get injured.

You need to start with ground work and halter training, more ground work under saddle and progressed from there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that's what I'm doing with my little bottle calf, Gram. He's doing really well!
It was just kind of an impulse thing with Maggie. I know she has no training, and I don't really care.
It was fun! That's all I care about lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts