Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thought about it all day, such a relief once I locked up the mean roo (I have scabs on my back from him, so nice to have him out of the way) and 4 other new roos too many so thought the smallest skinniest one should go to freezer camp with him... sigh...

(really having trouble posting the pics, the manage attachments tab wont load for some reason...)....

One thing I would say is, its important to understand that too long in the boiling water cooks the skin, ie it shreds.... and yeah dont bust the gallbladder-

the mean roo's son was bigger than he was (jersey giant - leghorn cross) but his carcass (tough little leghorn roo) came out better...
(the son, cross breed is on the left underneath, way more tender, easier tearing skin and meatier, the mean one is on top)...

killing was well, hard, but one thing I didnt expect is if you squeezed on their neck alittle they would pass out and make the cutting of the neck alot easier....

(used my goat hoof trimmer shears, the sharpest things I got)...

Not sure I can do bunnies though but I got a guy who offered to do that for me....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and so they sit in my fridge to age for 48 hours right? as is - covered in plastic wrap, or should they be marinated... not sure what to do now....? !!!

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I'd wrap them in plastic wrap. You want rigor mortis to pass and the meat to tenderize a little. You marinate them when you are getting ready to cook them. If you plan on cooking them in the next couple days, I'd recommend marinade the last day for several hours before cooking. I don't know about them staying in a marinade the whole time, maybe someone else does?

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Congrats!...your first butchering?

The water shouldn't be boiling...should be about 140-160 degF...best to use a thermometer.

I'd wait to marinate also...not sure it will impede the passing of rigor, but why risk it.
How are you going to cook them?

·
Registered
246 Posts
We just did a bunch about a month ago. I let them rest in the fridge for 3 days in a baggie, then took them out and threw marinade in, swished it all around and them in threw them in the freezer...marinade and all.

Took one of them out the other day for dinner, let it defrost and threw it in my solar oven. The taste was wonderful and it was just as tender as could be.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
You go! I have butchered for years and am still making refinements. There is a thread on here about soaking birds in salt or vinegar water prior to freezing. I tried both on some filets and I do think it helped with the toughness. The whole meat birds don't seem to have the same issue. Dual purpose birds can lean towards tough. I have found the slow cooker can be a help and cooking breast side down when roasting.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I'm a fan of dry brining myself. You do that before cooking- time varies on size. Chickens would probably just be a few hours though.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, it was a big step for me, yeah my first butchering...
No specific ideas on the cooking except low and slow for the guy on the right (he is over a year old, super active mean roo)- his skin was so tough it was hard to penetrate with a knife.

His poor "butchered" son though, only about 20 weeks old, I ended up half boiling him, d/t leaving him in the water so thats his skin kinda cooked and peeled off and his breast is a little boiled (I wasnt thinking too clearly, was working on Roo #1 and rushing before daughter came in, she hasnt adjusted to this yet)-- also something busted in his abdomen so there was feed.. and the gall bladder(grainy green junk, poo maybe) inside- should I just filet him and cut off his drumsticks and throw the body to the dogs (too bad he def is tender)- I could stew up the meat for chicken mole and have tacos or something..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts