I Did It!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, May 1, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I did it! :happy: :dance: :happy: I dehorned my kids. :dance:

Thank you Kathleen, the kneeling worked great! I had so much control over the little ones (I held for the vet for years and this was so much better)

I made sure to let it heat 10 minutes between kids and clipped the heads first (vet told me not to bother but it really helped) I would burn, put ice packs on their little moaning heads, give tetnus shot, a little Wonder Dust and we were done. Did 5 kids, different ages and horn nub lenghts which I touched with the hot iron. We'll see in a month if I did it right.

My husband was good (city boy) he helped by holding the legs, cleaning the iron between burns, asking me if I got a copper circle and did I give the shot yet. It upset him when I had to go back.

Isn't it amazing that within the hour they act like nothing ever happened?

2. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Yep, my farrier/goat guy showed me to absolutely SIT on the kids. Fold their legs up in a laying position and then SIT on them. With their heads forward. Wear leather gloves (in case I slip) and it's simple and safer for them (and us).

My son actually did a few of the goat babies too using that method. MUCH safer and easier!!

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

How does it compare to using a "box" designed to hold the kids still for disbudding?

4. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

never used a box... sorry

5. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Dee - you were my inspiration. I have been waiting for my husband to disbud my kids. On thursday they will be three weeks old and the 3 bucks horns were getting a bit long. Determined I went outside and disbudded all 4 of them. I believe I shocked my husband.

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

ALRIGHT RAINEDAZE!!!!! Did you sit on them too? I will have two more to do next week. Late comers.

7. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

No, I used a kidbox. I have late bloomers also. My 2 nubians haven't even had their kids yet. I will be doing their kids also now that my husband knows that I can do it. Good luck with your others.

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Dee, I'm glad it worked for you! I do like the 'sitting' method better than the kid box -- I think it actually restrains them better.

I may have to go back and re-do some of mine -- they look like they are going to have scurs if I don't. Drat.

Kathleen