Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is only September and we've had our second official snowfall this year.

The last one cleared up after a couple hours but right now, I have an inch of snow in my yard and I'm not amused. The rules according to the official Alberta handbook is that snow does not happen until Halloween.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I can't even imagine going through one of your winters. Our 2-3 months of cold, snowy weather is bad enough.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Dyfra would be in heaven! She loves the cold and snow. I do better in the winter too.

She doesn't do well in the heat/humidity/allergies and tons of bugs here. Horse flies are ripping her up. Poor thing looks moth eaten, no matter what I do for her.
Only relief she gets here, is in the winter.

She never had any of these problems in the Pacific NW...

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
The rules according to the official Alberta handbook is that snow does not happen until Halloween.
The MT handbooks used to say the same sort of thing which basically taught me not to believe everything you read pretty early in life.

In all the years I've lived in MT I have been snowed on every single month except AUGUST! True story ...

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
It's a major bummer when we get snow in October (even though it's not uncommon) so September would be downright depressing.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Why is it that snow sounds like a great idea in July, in the middle of a hay field? It doesn't seem so great when it actually happens, especially this early. We have a possibility of snow tonight, at elevation, hopefully not our elevation. We have had snow here every month but July.

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're getting another 6" or so tonight and it would be a lot funnier if harvest was done and second cut hay was baled. We have had snow in every month of the year but it doesn't happen often.

Test pilot doesn't like the heat and I think he's the only person celebrating this current bit of misery.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
We're getting another 6" or so tonight and it would be a lot funnier if harvest was done and second cut hay was baled. We have had snow in every month of the year but it doesn't happen often.

Test pilot doesn't like the heat and I think he's the only person celebrating this current bit of misery.
Accumulation in September is just plain wrong... but accumulation before second cutting should be criminal.

I'm with the test pilot on heat but even I agree that measurable, stick-around-for-days snow in September is just not right.

You simply must sacrifice a meteorologist to appease the snit that the snow god is having. Now, before it gets worse. :)

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accumulation in September is just plain wrong... but accumulation before second cutting should be criminal.

I'm with the test pilot on heat but even I agree that measurable, stick-around-for-days snow in September is just not right.

You simply must sacrifice a meteorologist to appease the snit that the snow god is having. Now, before it gets worse. :)
A couple years ago, the test pilot went on a road trip to Bristol for a NASCAR race and his facebook updates were the funniest ever.

He figured by the time they got into the Dakotas that he'd found the biblical hotspot and each day as they got further south, he realized he was misinformed but now had found the biblical hotspot. Once he found heat and humidity, he knew exactly where he was at and traded in his standard wranglers & boots for shorts and flipflops and I honestly don't know if those nice folks in Bristol ever recovered from the glow of his never before seen in public legs :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
We're supposed to get more tonight so I'll be moving in as soon as possible.
We had a couple of days where the highs were in the high 70s ... yesterday warmer again, supposed to be in the high 80s today. We're about halfway through the 're-do' of the cabin after the step-grandson moved out but it is liveable now so you can start packing anytime.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Are you up in the appalachians? We're pretty far up there in Carter County, and about a half hour from north carolina and forty five minutes outside Virginia.
I thought you were in North East TN when you said snow. I'm in Middle TN, not too far from Nashville. Most times if we get any snow it is just a dusting that melts before the day is over...lol :happy:

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is why we moved from Wyoming to Missouri. Mom is whining cause it is going to snow in R,R tomorrow and WE just turned off the AC,,,,hehehehehe

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
A couple years ago, the test pilot went on a road trip to Bristol for a NASCAR race and his facebook updates were the funniest ever.

He figured by the time they got into the Dakotas that he'd found the biblical hotspot and each day as they got further south, he realized he was misinformed but now had found the biblical hotspot. Once he found heat and humidity, he knew exactly where he was at and traded in his standard wranglers & boots for shorts and flipflops and I honestly don't know if those nice folks in Bristol ever recovered from the glow of his never before seen in public legs :rotfl:

I wondered what the heck that glow was....I saw it from 65 miles away! ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
my DH said we were going to retire in Montana...I told him I would visit him in the summer:) lovely, gorgeous country but too much bloody snow for this southern girl, I complain when I have to break ice a grand total of about two weeks here in Alabama...I would be mad, agree with pixie, meteorologist sacrifice might be in order!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts