I Couldn't Beieve My Eyes!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katlupe, Sep 9, 2005.

1. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

My friend and I went shopping yesterday at our local Mennonite market, and on the way back we passed a house that had a camel laying in their front yard. He was rolling and then just stretched out like a horse does. He didn't seem to have much room, but they might move him around to other areas. It just seemed so funny to drive past a little split level house with a camel out front.

2. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I had to check to see what state you are from. I know someone who has a camel in Illinois. They bought a couple of our highland cattle a couple of years ago and asked if the cattle would be a problem being in the same fence with other animals. I assured her we had had them in with goats and horses without a problem. she asked, "well, what about a camel?" I couldnt' offer any advice on that one. She said her zebra got along well with it!

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We delivered some horses to Salem Oregon and their neighbor had 4 or 5.

mikell

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Okay , i give up, why would someone what a camel? is this a pet or for food?

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Most that I know of are pets. I think Colorado gives people a tax break for exsoitic (sp?) animals.

I do know of 2 that are used as pack animals. They can carry about twice as much as a horse or mule.

6. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Ok, did he have a "pack of rednecks" in the sleeve of his t-shirt?

7. christy

christy Well-Known Member

You can also milk camels and use the poo as fuel.

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

uh, no YOU can milk a camel... I can NOT... LOL! ;)

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

ROFLOL I'm not milking any camel either ! It seems to me that an animal that large would have quite an apetite (sp) and would really need some room to move around and graze (i think they graze) and as such would not be very good pets or beasts of burden in a metropolitan area or any confined community.

10. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Can I have some of whatever it is you are drinking?

Seriously, I would be very perplexed if I had seen that; and would have probably statres in awe for a good 10 minutes or so.

Nikki

11. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Oooh, that must have been quite a surprise! I can't imagine wanting a camel.

Last week, I had my own strange animal sighting... I was driving through a stretch of State Game Lands, about 10 miles from 'anywhere', when I went around a curve and found an emu standing in the middle of road. I later found out it had escaped from a farm near the edge of the state land, but what a wierd thing to see on my way home! Can't wait to hear the stories that come up during deer season.

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My neighbor said she has seen just about everything on our road, but the day she came home claiming to have seen a kangaroo, her family sat her down and got out the ice packs.....until the news came on the tv about an exotic pet escaping!

13. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I saw a camel in Vermont this past winter. Strange sight but a few minutes later, I passed by a single-wide that was completely (end to end, top to bottom) painted to look like a dairy cow, face and udder included.

/VM

14. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

We rode some around a volcanic area on a desert island- Lanzarote off the coast of Africa. Low water, poor vegetation a lot like the middle east. Think they brought camels there a century or so to farm/pack animal for the area when it was first settled by humans. Now more a tourist than agri area the camels are fitting in quite well. Made me think I should've gotten some in central Texas. Have nice wool? Think I really once had a camel hair sweater- or was that just the color? (It was camel-coloured, but as soft as cashmere.) Don't know if I'd be willing to milk one!

15. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Just remember they will cross breed with Llamas and Alpacas to. and the offspring is fertile .

16. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Some here in Mojave Narrows next to the county park.In a pasture with some horses.

BooBoo

17. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

The DO have camels in TX.... wild ones. They were brought in for the calvery or something thinking they'd make good pack animals. I think the camels were too stubborn and they just got turned loose. We came across one up in "west" texas one day. Driving down the road and there's a camel on the side of the road. We thought maybe is was some exotic ranch. Serendipity ruled a day or so later. The Austin American Statesman ran an article on the wild camels in TX.

note to self.... no... it wasn't my imagination..... it wasn't.... it wasn't

Suzi

18. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

There's actually a local camel dairy around here; they always bring a few animals & some promotional stuff to the (San Diego) county fair. The milk is supposed to be all kinds of good for you, & they make the usual other things out of it, sort of like people do w/goats milk.

19. skeeterhawk

skeeterhawk Well-Known Member

James Dilley - What would the offspring be called - Llamels and Campacas?

20. Dustybottoms

Dustybottoms Member

We used to drive by an Ostrich farm. They would come right up to the fence near the road. The owners sold the meat and eggs.
    Dustybottoms