I can't stand it much longer.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OD, Jan 5, 2005.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

For three days now, there has been a little dog sitting beside the road about a mile from my house. He just lies there or sits & watches cars go by. I know he's waiting for someone to come & get him, & I kept hoping they would, but now it's getting cold & starting to rain & I can't stand it much longer. He looks like a pekinese(sp), or one of those little house dog breeds & I don't think he can make it through a cold night. I'm afraid if I keep thinking about it, I'm going to have to go & get him.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Be sure and take some Doggie Treats to properly motivitate him to jump in your vehicle . It maybe that he is an independent little cuss and runs from those who would help him . Good luck , fordy... :)

3. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Go get him OD, its going to be in the 30's tonight and raining. If you just can't keep him, I'll take him home or I know my Dad up in Red River County will take him/her in.

I'm serious about this. If that doggy has been waiting by the side of the road for three days he doesn't have a home or not one that takes care of him/her. :no:

Halo

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

While there is probably not animal control if this is a rural area, I'd call the sheriff's department and report it. Perhaps they know an agency that will pick the dog up to be cared for.

5. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Go get him OD. Sounds like someone has dumped this little dog..or it's lost. Usually smaller breeds are not outside dogs..so it is suffering and needs some immediate attention. While you care for him/her just watch the local paper to see anyone has lost a similiar dog. Maybe the little dog even has a collar w/tags....or call your local vet. They may have heard from someone who lost their pet. Go ahead and try to persuade him to come with you....don't forget to take along something to entice him...I'm sure he is really hungry by now. I'll be waiting to hear how you do. :)

6. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Please do it..! Thanks for doing it..I have seen spouces take the "pet" out & dump it for spite..My little Debbie is pure ****zu & was dumped with another foofoo dog likely because of some family disagreement..Shes been here for 8 yrs. Freddie the peke was dumped right in front of my house at about 6 months & totally blind...We had many good years with him.. Wish I could help..GrannieD

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Face it... you're doomed... you can't stop thinking about the little dog...

You can't stop..

You're getting in the car...

;-)

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

9. bridget

bridget Well-Known Member

He needs you.

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Doesn't anybody want to talk me out of it? Somebody.....?

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

go get him. not the poor pup's fault some inconsiderate idiot dumped him (or lost him). at the very least feed him and post a note for free dog at the vets...maybe someone else will want him for keeps. but don't let the little thing suffer.

12. unregistered5595

unregistered5595 Guest

Not me! :)
    Sooooooooooooooooooo
    Whatcha gonna name him/her? :eek:

13. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Go get the little fella. One of the best dogs I ever had was a little tea cup poodle that turned up the same way. drenched and worn out and looking soooo sad. She was fiercely protective cross eyed with the crookedest teeth. we took her once to the doggy beauty shop and the groomer said she must have been well cared for at one time as she just sat there calm as could be while the groomer did the work. You wouldnt have known her when she was done. Angelina lived with us for years and finally went blind. Towards the end she kept wandering off, once she went two miles before we found her and finally one night she just disappeared for good.
    Figured she wanted to die in peace on her own. Independent little cuss.

Get in the car and go get the dog OD. and post a pic so we can all see your new friend. :)

14. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Go and get the pup. You can always call the pound later. At least this way it is not hungrey , cold or dieing of thirst. I always pick up strays , most of the time they are lost. I cannot keep them but at least at a shelter they are taken care of and if not adopted put to sleep . They are at least not suffering.

15. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

The Creation
    When God had made the earth and sky
    the flowers and the trees,
    He then made all the animals
    the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished
    not one was quite the same.
    He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
    and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide
    and everywhere He went,
    a little creature followed Him
    until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth
    and in the sky and sea,
    the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
    there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,
    "I've left you to the end.
    I've turned my own name back to front
    and called you dog, My friend."
    Author Unknown

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Well, you can't keep us hanging like this.
    When you get the little dog home, tell us more about how it's going. If it was me, I think I'de try and help out the little fellow. Not his fault he's stranded alone.

17. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

If you don't go get that dog right now, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Every time that you see a dog somewhere that looks a little bit like that dog - on TV even - you are going to think back on this and wish that you had taken it in before you saw it frozen to death in a ditch by the side of the road.

Wheras if you go and take that dog home, after a few days you will always be happy with your decision. Because then it will be *your* dog and everybody loves their own dog.

Don't go wrong here. You know what you have to do. This is a basic test that's going to tell you exactly what kind of person you are.

-Jack

18. OD

OD Well-Known Member

OK. I went & got him. No treats necessary, he was glad to get in that warm truck. He must belong to somebody, he has perfume all over him. Why would they do that to a poor little dog? I guess I'll start trying to find his owner, my cat says he can't stay here.

19. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Guess what!!!!! I called my friend that works for a vet & she said somebody lost a little dog that fits the description of this one. The only thing is that they live 20 miles from me. I'm going to take him up there & meet the lady that lost one--I sure hope it's hers. Y'all keep your fingers crossed.

20. bridget

bridget Well-Known Member