i cant find anywhere to get a pigglet

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ministockracer2, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ministockracer2

ministockracer2 New Member

i have been looking everywhere around for a place to get a pigglet and cant find anywhere. ive asked the local farmers, the farm and feed stores, vets, humane societies but cant find anywhere. maybe im looking in the wrong places. i live in west bloomfield, ny which is near rochester. if anyone can tell me somewhere i could buy one that would be excelent.
    Dustin

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Dustin,
    here is a link to all the livestock auctions i could find that are listed in NY ,,, hope one is close to you & you can find your pig
    http://phonebook.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Livestock+Auctions/S-NY/T-/PP-LN/

you could also try calling your towns ag services ,, or the cooperative extension, there should be at least a 4H program around & they will know where to find pigs,

your other option is to contact the specific breeds of pigs your interested in & ask them for a list of breeders in your state or area, jsut do a google search & that will give you links to specific breeds associations i know there is at least one berkshire breeder in NY ,, although it would be an entire day trip for you to get one from them ,, they are over by albany
    good luck
    Rick

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We put up posters at the local feed and general stores as well as advertising in the local free classified newspaper (ItsClassified). Both work well for us for selling piglets, and market sized pigs. Check out those places. Also ask your local vets, they may know who has pigs.

-Walter
    in Vermont

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Maybe its the time of year...last spring I saw ads for piglets everywhere!
    I'm a few hours east of you.

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Try taking out a "piglets wanted" ad in your local or regional paper.

6. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

If you still can't find any by spring, let me know. Our sows are with the boar right now and will farrow the end of April or beginning of May if they're doing their math the same way I do. :) You could come for a drive this way and get several. It is just as easy to raise three or four as it is to raise one and then you can sell the extras at market weight to pay for what you keep.

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

7. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

we have just finished building our pigs new home and now can't find any one to occupy it. we are in east texas, and i do think it is the time of the year. we are looking for pigglets if any one here knows of anyone in the area pleases let us know. thank-you

8. Lolli Pop

Lolli Pop Member

I'm in West Texas, but I have a sow due any day. Pigglets will be weaned at 6 weeks. If you don't find someone closer to you, hollar at me and we'll see what we can do? Lolli

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Call the high school Ag dept and ask to speak to the Ag teacher. He should be aware of where you can buy pigs. Usually the ag kids and 4-H kids raise pigs to show at their respective county fairs.

10. fast f-7

fast f-7 New Member

I'm in Brockport and looking for piglets also. any info. thanks

11. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

CALL THE AG EXTENSION OFFICE. They'll hook you up with names and numbers!

12. 59classics

59classics Member

Any Amish in your area? They might have piglets for sale. I am going to try at our local Amish settlement.

K

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

When you call around, don't ask for "piglets" this brands you as a city slicker and many farmers won't bother with you. Instead ask for "feeder pigs".